| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: American Vegan Kitchen...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! I'm so happy to have this book. I've only tried two recipes thus far: the tempeh chicken salad sandwiches and the Not-So-Nicoise Salad and I loved both! I'm especially in love with versions of nicoise salads as that's always been my favorite type of salad. I've never grilled smoked tofu before and was a little worried that it might need marinating or something but it's so flavorful on it's own, grilled, that it needs no adornment. I'm planning on trying the Twenty-First Century Tacos later this week, they look like a nice, easy weeknight meal. And I'm a taco fiend.

I remember reading on old PPK wonderful things about the coffee cake from this book.

Any other must try recipes? I've noted a few recipes from this book listed in the top 5 recipes from cookbooks thread.

Share with me some of your favorites from this book!

Post subject: Re: American Vegan Kitchen...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gyros
Spinach dip
Brewpub stew
Breakfast pizza (that's not the name in the book but what we call it; it's hash browns with tofu and cheese sauce)
Barley mushroom stew
Ribz
Pizza
Jalapeno gravy
Red eyed skewers

But nothing I've tried has let me down, and I've eaten most of that book.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Cinnacrunch Muffins!
Tempeh Stroganoff Stuffed Potatoes

These are the only two things I've made, other than the All-American Spice Blend, which goes into the Potatoes. They were both Amazing.

A lot of recipes didn't appeal to me because of the long ingredient lists, but I know that's really silly. I also don't like having to make another recipe to act as an ingredient (like the spice blend for the potatoes), but that's a personal problem and something I'm trying to be less of a baby about. I'm just telling you now because I don't want you to be like me and miss out.

I'm planning on using the book more heavily for Vegan MoFo because there's no excuse to do otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 am 
WELFARIST!

Yum! Thanks for the recommends guys. I love the cinnamony things in the book...or can't wait to try them. I love cinnamony stuff!

I know what you mean about spice blends and make aheads, CandyBeans, but I find once that step is out of the way, the spice blend (or whatever sort of pre-prep ingredient is required) makes enough for a few batches and so that way it's ready for future use and the recipe preparation is a lot quicker.

I often do spice blends during commercial breaks when I'm watching TV and stuff (I can see the TV in the living room when I stand at the end of my kitchen counter) so often during a commercial break or something, I'll start taking out the jars of spices and my measuring spoons and just get my spice blend ready there so it doesn't seem like such a chore later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:24 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The only thing I've tried so far is the seitan poboy. It was terrific. (I really have to stop buying cookbooks faster than I can use them!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:29 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

mollyjade wrote:
The only thing I've tried so far is the seitan poboy. It was terrific. (I really have to stop buying cookbooks faster than I can use them!)

Argh! I do that too! I preorder everything on Amazon and can't keep up. It's a good problem to have, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The deep fried avocado wedges, and the portobello fries (or whatever they are called) YUM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:36 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've made some kinda random stuff from here so far, and the 2 best have been the Incrediburgers (yes, a long ingredient list but it makes a bunch and they are the best burgers ever) and the Mocha Chocolate ice cream. My problem with some of the recipes is there's an awful lot of bell peppers involved and I hate them, so I can't be objective.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Almost Philly Cheesesteaks
Beer Battered Onion Rings
Spaghetti Pie
Asian Slaw
Cinnacrunch Muffins
Coffee Cake

All were fantastic!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:09 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

seitanicverses wrote:
I know what you mean about spice blends and make aheads, CandyBeans, but I find once that step is out of the way, the spice blend (or whatever sort of pre-prep ingredient is required) makes enough for a few batches and so that way it's ready for future use and the recipe preparation is a lot quicker.

I often do spice blends during commercial breaks when I'm watching TV and stuff (I can see the TV in the living room when I stand at the end of my kitchen counter) so often during a commercial break or something, I'll start taking out the jars of spices and my measuring spoons and just get my spice blend ready there so it doesn't seem like such a chore later.

Good idea! I also try to make bigger batches when I do get motivated. The cinnacrunch muffins require the crunch to be made ahead of time, so I triple the batch when I'm making it. (I think she suggests that in the book too).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Audrey wrote:
My problem with some of the recipes is there's an awful lot of bell peppers involved and I hate them, so I can't be objective.

Can you leave them out or substitute another vegetable? That's what I do with mushrooms - blech.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

QueenV wrote:
The deep fried avocado wedges, and the portobello fries (or whatever they are called) YUM

Yes. Also, the beer-battered onion rings and the chili.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

I love this book! The amazingly generous AsstroGirl (now know, I believe, as Tamasin) sent me a copy because I couldn't find it in Canada, so when I moved to the US, I sent one to Phoenix (the ppker, not the city!).

The ribs of one my boyfriend's favorite things I've ever made, and I really love the hearty salads. There is still so much more I need to try!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:00 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

vgnwitch wrote:
Audrey wrote:
My problem with some of the recipes is there's an awful lot of bell peppers involved and I hate them, so I can't be objective.

Can you leave them out or substitute another vegetable? That's what I do with mushrooms - blech.

haha I'm a mushroom hater too (yes, I hate 2 staples of vegan cooking)! I've learned to compromise on the mushrooms though, I will cook them but then when I serve myself pick em all out and put em on bf's/toddler's plate. The mushrooms don't pollute the taste of everything the way peppers do, I just can't handle their texture! [end thread hijack]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
I love this book! The amazingly generous AsstroGirl (now know, I believe, as Tamasin) sent me a copy because I couldn't find it in Canada, so when I moved to the US, I sent one to Phoenix (the ppker, not the city!)

Yay! Me too! It's weird it's so hard to find in Canada--it has a Cdn price listed on it!

I'm so excited to try my tacos this weekend. I'm making them alongside some black beans and rice. I pressure-cooked my black beans last night.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I *love* the Tuna Free Noodle Casserole. The only modification I made was to add some Silk Creamer to the sauce to make it, well, saucier. The casserole is really delicious. I often bring it to potlucks.

Post subject: wheatmeat loaf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had my first failure from this book after many successful and delicious dinners. I made the southwestern wheat meat loaf, which smelled so delicious when assembling and baking, but did not cook in the middle. I followed the instructions for tenting foil over it when it looked really brown after the first 30 minutes of baking. By the end, it was well done and crispy outside, but wet and gooey in the middle.

I am thinking of making 2 to 4 mini-loaves next time instead of one big loaf. Any other thoughts on this recipe?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have the Besto Pesto dip chillin' in my fridge right now : )

Post subject: Re: wheatmeat loaf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

bcakes wrote:
I had my first failure from this book after many successful and delicious dinners. I made the southwestern wheat meat loaf, which smelled so delicious when assembling and baking, but did not cook in the middle. I followed the instructions for tenting foil over it when it looked really brown after the first 30 minutes of baking. By the end, it was well done and crispy outside, but wet and gooey in the middle.

I am thinking of making 2 to 4 mini-loaves next time instead of one big loaf. Any other thoughts on this recipe?

I just checked back to the testing notes. I had no problems with the texture of this one at all, though I did use the foil. Someone else who tested it made it in muffin tins with success though.

Post subject: Re: wheatmeat loaf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 am 
WELFARIST!

Efcliz wrote:
bcakes wrote:

I just checked back to the testing notes. I had no problems with the texture of this one at all, though I did use the foil. Someone else who tested it made it in muffin tins with success though.

I haven't actually made it, and maybe you already do this yourself, but I cook loaves or anything with a lot of density to bake through on the centre rack of the oven as I find things bake more evenly there and I'd probably make a recipe like that in my little muffin tins as I prefer more all around crispage.

I made the 21st century tacos last night and they're yum! Makes a lot. It says four servings, but I think I'll get five or six meals out of it (with the beans and rice as a side).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am 
WELFARIST!

denajo wrote:
I *love* the Tuna Free Noodle Casserole. The only modification I made was to add some Silk Creamer to the sauce to make it, well, saucier. The casserole is really delicious. I often bring it to potlucks.

Oh, I should make this next weekend. I just happened to own a carton of silk soy creamer that looks like it will expire before I have a chance to use it all just for coffee so maybe I'll put some in this recipe to use it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:53 am 

The Tuna Free Casserole is one of my favorites (and it freezes well too!)
Also love the Seitan and Herb Dumplings
Baked Beans
Roasted Broccoli and Bell Peppers
Garlic Ribz
Greek Town Gyros Awesome!!

I've made probably 40 things out of this book and liked everything and loved most. Her mock meats are the best, sausages, burgers, ribz etc...

Some OP's mentioned being turned off by the long list of ingredients, I was like that a little at first but found most of the stuff I already had and it's worth a bit of extra effort to get the fantastic flavors. Also, if one recipe calls for a spice blend or sauce or whatever, you can probably use it in a couple of other recipes too.

ETA: Mississippi Mud Pie, how could I forget my all time favorite!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:04 am 

Has anyone tried freezing the Seitan and Herb Dumplings?? If so how'd it work, did you separate the dumplings? Did you cook first or just assemble?

I'm looking for a few things that will freeze and be easy to reheat for my very pregnant friend and I know the family would enjoy this...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just got this cookbook! I'm reading through it and making notes to myself about what I want to cook. I already love the chapter on sammiches.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The recipes in AVK all sound like stuff I'd love, but the ingredient lists are so long! That is the main reason I haven't made anything from this book yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next