| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ani Phyo's books
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've tried her Pineapple IceBox Dessert and it's awesome I've made it my own on 2 different recipes with mango raspberry and banana.

This is one of my favorite desserts.

=^.~=

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

rapscallion wrote:
My last housemate said Ani's books should be called Hot Like Me Volumes 1-3.

Lolz, so true.

I like the Baja cheeze, taco nut meat, donut holes and lemon bars (reminded me of lemon larabars but a bit more dessert-y).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

AdrienneO wrote:
The soup with the shiitake mushrooms actually made me sick, I have like a cast iron stomach too but I couldn't even look at extra virgin olive oil for a while after that without getting a stomach ache.

Woah, this happened to me too except I now have an aversion to mushrooms! I wanted to make the Mushroom Ceviche from Viva Vegan (because I used to really enjoy mushrooms and ceviche sounded good), but since I had Ani's shiitake soup, I just haven't been able to do anything with the mushies. :/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

radish wrote:
AdrienneO wrote:
The soup with the shiitake mushrooms actually made me sick, I have like a cast iron stomach too but I couldn't even look at extra virgin olive oil for a while after that without getting a stomach ache.

Woah, this happened to me too except I now have an aversion to mushrooms! I wanted to make the Mushroom Ceviche from Viva Vegan (because I used to really enjoy mushrooms and ceviche sounded good), but since I had Ani's shiitake soup, I just haven't been able to do anything with the mushies. :/

i had the same mushroom hating after raw mushroom experience too! one of the marinated with rosemary recipes - blargh. and i love mushrooms.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

You can cut the oil considerably in the soups. I know I did for one of her soup recipes after trying one with the full on oil and it was leaking out of my thermos and just too oily. I cut it down from 1 cup of oil (crazy! if you ask me) to 1/4 of a cup (like one poster here already mentioned) and it all came out all right. At the time I subbed with plain water and next time, I might sub with an equal amount of the pureed interior of a peeled and seeded cuke and water (just to retain some thickness) to replace the oil.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm thinking about getting one of Ani's books, but I can't decide which one would be best to get if I have no dehydrator (though my conventional oven has it as a setting), and only a blender and food processor.

I'm between Raw Food Kitchen and Raw Food Essentials. Does anyone have a favorite of these two? Which one would be more budget- and user-friendly?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 pm 

RFE has way more recipes, but I still haven't made anything from it. I'll have to think about that though - I'll get back to you :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:06 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I have Raw Food Essentials. The cereal recipe with the pumpkin and chia seeds was okay. VERY cleansing! I tried the basic cookie recipe and it was very good (I just threw in 1/2 cup raw cacao powder and some crushed raw cashews in there for the extra part...tasted like brownies). They took FOREVER to dehydrate though in a Nesco dehydrator.

Has anyone made the "Cheddar" Kale Chips? They seem okay crispy when they come out of the dehydrator but they begin to soften right afterward. And I'm not sure they're getting 100% dehydrated if there are some tiny red pepper pieces on them. I've tried both the 8 hour and 10 hour drying times but still no perma-crisp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Niev wrote:
I'm thinking about getting one of Ani's books, but I can't decide which one would be best to get if I have no dehydrator (though my conventional oven has it as a setting), and only a blender and food processor.

I'm between Raw Food Kitchen and Raw Food Essentials. Does anyone have a favorite of these two? Which one would be more budget- and user-friendly?

If you don't have a dehydrator, I think you might get more use from Raw Food Kitchen. There are only a couple of recipes in that book which use a dehydrator, a bread and a burger (but the burger can be eaten fresh).

I have both books and I use the first one more. I should really go through Raw Food Essentials again and pick out some non-dehydrated recipes to try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:01 am 
Nailed to the V

meanderer wrote:
I have Raw Food Essentials. The cereal recipe with the pumpkin and chia seeds was okay. VERY cleansing! I tried the basic cookie recipe and it was very good (I just threw in 1/2 cup raw cacao powder and some crushed raw cashews in there for the extra part...tasted like brownies). They took FOREVER to dehydrate though in a Nesco dehydrator.

Has anyone made the "Cheddar" Kale Chips? They seem okay crispy when they come out of the dehydrator but they begin to soften right afterward. And I'm not sure they're getting 100% dehydrated if there are some tiny red pepper pieces on them. I've tried both the 8 hour and 10 hour drying times but still no perma-crisp.

I've made those kale chips a bunch of times. I make the whole recipe, but only use enough goo to coat my greens, then dehydrate. Otherwise, they don't crisp up for me (but they're still really, really yummy and I usually just eat them standing in front of the dehydrator). I thin the rest of the goo with water, then use it as salad dressing or add it to the raw chili in RFE :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:51 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I really liked the corn soup - but I have made some of the others with the full amount of oil & it kind of gagged me. I can't seem to eat raw foods, every time I do I get super sick to my stomach & get a headache. It's kind of a bummer. I do like a good raw smoothie in the morning though!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:52 am 
Baking In The Flavor

appifanie wrote:
radish wrote:
AdrienneO wrote:

i had the same mushroom hating after raw mushroom experience too! one of the marinated with rosemary recipes - blargh. and i love mushrooms.

aww gag, me too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:38 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

SassyOh wrote:
I've made those kale chips a bunch of times. I make the whole recipe, but only use enough goo to coat my greens, then dehydrate. Otherwise, they don't crisp up for me (but they're still really, really yummy and I usually just eat them standing in front of the dehydrator). I thin the rest of the goo with water, then use it as salad dressing or add it to the raw chili in RFE :)

Thanks! I'll try it with less sauce next time. And yes, I eat most of them before they're "done" too!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:06 pm 

This took me forever niev, sorry!! The first one. I think her 2nd one has a lot more, but there's something sort of...inviting and accessible about the 1st one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:58 am 
Saggy Butt

I've just picked up the Raw Food Essentials from the library this afternoon, I've yet to have a look but I am keeping in mind everyones reccomendations and warnings so far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 am 

appifanie wrote:
This took me forever niev, sorry!! The first one. I think her 2nd one has a lot more, but there's something sort of...inviting and accessible about the 1st one.

Thanks, appifanie! This will be the next cookbook I buy, if I'm better with my impulses.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just got Raw Food Essentials yesterday at the bookstore as it was super on-sale! This is my first adventure into raw foods, and I want to incorporate more raw into my diet, so I thought this would be a good place to start.

Does anyone have a rec for the first recipe I should try? Obvs not a soup!

I have a good dehydrator (Excalibur base model), a crappy blender, and a decent food processor, so I should be okay for most of this book. I don't have a mandoline or spiralizer though, so stuff using those will have to wait.

Thanks ppk!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I am going to meet Ani Thursday night and I can't wait!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have all her books but the first one. I've tried the flax pancakes and I like them (saw several people here didn't). They are sweet, to me it's more like a dessert, lol. I also tried a pate. I think it was the almond ginger pate or something like that. It was really good.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The almond ginger pate is awesome. It's in Ani's Raw Food Kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm 

does anyone have raw food asia? i was flipping through it at the store and it looks better than her other books (maybe).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know this is an old thread, but I have been following her book Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast. I just finished day 6 and am pretty happy with the recipes and the results. I weighed in 5 pound lighter than I was when I started. The soups in this book are not oil heavy. There is some coconut oil, but not an excessive amount. I've never really done much raw, but I feel really energetic and I haven't been hungry at all. I am in love with the Thermo dressing.