| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plant-Powered Families - Dreena Burton
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have to say - each Dreena Burton Books gets more and more pretty every release.
This one is gorgeous, and full of pictures, and it's like colour coded!

there's an information index, a nutritional index, a recipe index (but no "blurb of recipes" at the front, like is sort of the norm in Dreena Books. I actually forgot mine was coming.

Imma gonna have to go make some ketchup-y marinaded chickpeas now :)

Post subject: Re: Plant-Powered Families - Dreena Burton
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:11 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I didn't realize this was out already. Now I'm tempted to buy yet another cookbook. (I really need Dreena and Isa and a handful of other authors to stop writing books because it's blowing my budget!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:56 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'd love to hear more about this book.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:39 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

bcakes wrote:
I didn't realize this was out already. Now I'm tempted to buy yet another cookbook. (I really need Dreena and Isa and a handful of other authors to stop writing books because it's blowing my budget!)

i know, right?!
next month is going to be bru-tal for me. i have so many coming to me. and because i always pre-order the moment they come out, i have the cheapest price they'll be so... meh. LOL

willwolf - i'll tuck in with it, and spill more

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm about to open mine! The Amazon look inside is available now, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the Peanut Butter Pudding with Berrylicious swirl from her blog. It was DE-LIC-IOUS!

I love dreena's books but I'm not sure if I should buy this one because of it's focus on families. I don't have a family so not sure if it would be good for me.

Looking forward to hearing what you're all making though!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm excited for this one. I don't use her books as often as I should, but they're really solid and this one's right up my alley, theme-wise.

I made the cinnabon muffins off her blog this morning and they're very tasty. I want to experiment with that date topping idea a little.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:30 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Chickpea wrote:
I made the Peanut Butter Pudding with Berrylicious swirl from her blog. It was DE-LIC-IOUS!

I love dreena's books but I'm not sure if I should buy this one because of it's focus on families. I don't have a family so not sure if it would be good for me.

Looking forward to hearing what you're all making though!

I haven't seen the book yet, but if you ever cook for omnivores that are scared of vegan food, I've found that recipes aimed at children work really well on them.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I got mine today too! It's beautiful and I love it already. I'm eating the chocolate chia pudding right now. YUM!!! I offered some to my husband and he was very skeptical. But then he took one bite and proceeded to gobble his up!

Quick first thoughts:
Every recipe has a picture on the facing page.
If the recipe is longer than 1 page, it continues on the facing page and the pic is smaller. No page flipping required.
The font is black on white paper. It's a bit small, but legible.
Because it is geared to families, a lot of the recipes have nut-free versions or options (for kid lunches, which often have to be nut free) - this is awesome for me, both because I have kids and because I'm allergic to almonds (sob)
It's a really well rounded book - with recipes for breakfast, dips, salads, soups, dinners, sweets, lunchboxes, etc.
She talks about batch-cooking, and recipes that lend themselves to cooking up in greater amounts are marked with an icon, as are recipes that can be made in advance.

I can't wait to dig into this book.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:27 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

oh I love her books ... but chickpea I do see what you mean ... her focus on families ... there are two of us here, my husband & I, no sprogs but ... I will buy it ... it needs to stand next to her others on the cookbook shelves in the kitchen ... it sounds terrific, I love photos ...

Anne who also wishes to support a fellow Cdn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:05 am 

I love her books, too! This thread inspired me to pull them out again and I've seen so many things that I used to love, like Goddess Garbanzos and Hello Vegan Bars. I'm so excited that the new book is coming tomorrow. Even without small children, looking through the table of contents on Amazon I see a lot of things that I would make. The only one that has me worried - terrified, even - is the Kids' Slurry Sauce.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have some friends who like the milder tasting foods so I love her for that alone. Plus my bf has kids so I need to have some kid friendly recipes. I think might get this book soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:02 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I am such a bad person! BUT, I don't like this cookbook. I am not a fan of oil-free cooking or cookbooks. There is nothing in this that has inspired me. It just reminds me of E2 books and recipes or Happy Herbivore. Very bland and dry. I could be so wrong and I hope I am. I love Dreena and she is a gorgeous woman. Anyone have any successes in this book. I want to return it. I really don't need another oil-free cookbook that I never use. Please forgive me Dreena!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:15 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I didn't realize this book was oil-free. Can you...add oil?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:01 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Bonnie480 wrote:
I am such a bad person! BUT, I don't like this cookbook. I am not a fan of oil-free cooking or cookbooks. There is nothing in this that has inspired me. It just reminds me of E2 books and recipes or Happy Herbivore. Very bland and dry. I could be so wrong and I hope I am. I love Dreena and she is a gorgeous woman. Anyone have any successes in this book. I want to return it. I really don't need another oil-free cookbook that I never use. Please forgive me Dreena!!!!

I agree with this sentiment generally. I'd rather have a regular recipe and cut back on oil/fat as I see fit. But I do think Dreena's recipes are much more creative and appealing than the HH/E2 variety.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm not opposed to oil-free per se, but HH/E2 type recipes are definitely not my thing. I wish my library would get this in so I could check it out before I buy!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I have this on hold at my library, waiting for it to get in. One thing looking through the Amazon "look inside" feature that has me a bit put off is the use of Vega protein powder in all her smoothie recipes - well the ones that are shown on Amazon anyway. I don't know why it bothers me - like an advertisement in a book or something??

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:59 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

OK, OK - so I looked again and there are only 2 out of 3 smoothie recipes with Vega protein powder - my mistake!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:18 pm 

I think this book is beautiful! So far I've only made two of the recipes, but there are many that I want to try. I made the smokey bean chili and really liked it. Loved that it was so full of veggies. And then I made the umami sun-dried tomato and almond burgers. They are my new favorite veggie burger! The flavor is amazing!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I just received this book, too, and am excited! I have all of her cookbooks, and this is the best in my opinion. My kids and husband have nut allergies, so while Dreena relies heavily on nuts, she's worked hard with this cookbook to incorporate nut-free recipes, which I greatly appreciate (her earlier cookbooks are not so easily accessible for nut allergies, unfortunately). Anyway, last night I made the Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake frosted with the Chocolate Sweets Frosting. The frosting uses a whole cup of sweet potato (yay! More veggies sneaked into my kids diet!). I subbed out powdered sugar for the coconut sugar, per her directions as I don't have a fancy vitamix blender. I also used sunbutter for the nut butter. I baked in in a 8x8 pan, and left it in there and just frosted the top. OMG. The BEST chocolate cake EVER! It was so moist, so chocolatey and rich...and good for me and my family to boot. I hate to admit it, but I let my kids eat a piece for breakfast....

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:18 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Oh good to know about the nut allergies...my partner is allergic to nuts and sunflower seeds and I find a lot of vegan cookbooks hard to use...especially now that cashew cream is the next big thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I was excited to get mine, because I LOVE Dreena's recipes. Her Let Them Eat Vegan! is my very favorite cookbook of all time.

First impressions: Wow! Love all the color and all the photographs (although I'm not one who is bothered by lack of photos in a cookbook). Nice use of colored framing to break down the different sections visually; makes it very easy to flip right to the section you want. On the negative side, the book cover has a weird waxy feel which is...unpleasant. I guess it might make the book more water-resistant? Which would be good in a cookbook, I suppose, but I don't like it. Oh, well. A minor quibble.

The recipes: Seems like a good variety. There are a few repeats (a couple that appeared in her ebook, PP15, for example), but lots of new content. The no-oil thing is new, but not crazy. Mostly not really noticeable, except where she water-sautes, and there you could easily just sub oil if you prefer. I don't think the comparison to the Happy Herbivore books is a good one, because although Dreena isn't using oil, she's not ecshewing fat-containing ingredients (like nuts and nut-butters) in any way that I can see. Also? I really don't think Dreena does bland. I'm always amazed by the flavors her ingredients bring out. (Could I sound any more fan-girlish? Geez. But still.)

Last night I made the Tofu in Cashew Ginger Sauce. As I was prepping the ingredients, I realized my fresh ginger was moldy, so I subbed in half the amount of powdered ginger. The result was still plenty gingery and delicious. I threw a handful of frozen peas and carrots in for color and served over brown rice. Fantastic. Lots of flavor. The recipe mentions that it is a slight variation on one that appeared in ED&BV. I checked that book, and the only real changes were to swap the agave for maple syrup and reduce the amount of garlic.

Even though it's spring, I think I may make the Autumn Dinner Loaf next. Sounds so good.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

[quote="Monstrously Tasty"]I was excited to get mine, because I LOVE Dreena's recipes. Her Let Them Eat Vegan! is my very favorite cookbook of all time.

First impressions: Wow! Love all the color and all the photographs (although I'm not one who is bothered by lack of photos in a cookbook). Nice use of colored framing to break down the different sections visually; makes it very easy to flip right to the section you want. On the negative side, the book cover has a weird waxy feel which is...unpleasant. I guess it might make the book more water-resistant? Which would be good in a cookbook, I suppose, but I don't like it. Oh, well. A minor quibble.

The recipes: Seems like a good variety. There are a few repeats (a couple that appeared in her ebook, PP15, for example), but lots of new content. The no-oil thing is new, but not crazy. Mostly not really noticeable, except where she water-sautes, and there you could easily just sub oil if you prefer. I don't think the comparison to the Happy Herbivore books is a good one, because although Dreena isn't using oil, she's not ecshewing fat-containing ingredients (like nuts and nut-butters) in any way that I can see. Also? I really don't think Dreena does bland. I'm always amazed by the flavors her ingredients bring out. (Could I sound any more fan-girlish? Geez. But still.)

Last night I made the Tofu in Cashew Ginger Sauce. As I was prepping the ingredients, I realized my fresh ginger was moldy, so I subbed in half the amount of powdered ginger. The result was still plenty gingery and delicious. I threw a handful of frozen peas and carrots in for color and served over brown rice. Fantastic. Lots of flavor. The recipe mentions that it is a slight variation on one that appeared in ED&BV. I checked that book, and the only real changes were to swap the agave for maple syrup and reduce the amount of garlic."

Good point on the HH comparison. It was off for sure, HH won't even say the word "nut" or "seed" I was being bratty in my initial assessment of the book. I have made a few recipes and really liked them. One was the Creamy Cauliflower Soup, Chocolate Chia Pudding, and the amazing chocolate ganache (HOLE CREPE!). Also, I made the Chicpea Omelets and they were wonderful. I really want to try the burger recipes, those look great too!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:34 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

How nut-heavy are the recipes? My partner is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and sunflower seeds so I generally stay away from books that are super reliant on those. It kind of sounds like maybe this book isn't so much?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 am 

I didn't find it too nut-heavy. There seems to be a lot of seed substitutions.

I shared my review today. I made her chickpea nibbles (aka roasted balsamic chickpeas) and they were excellent. I shared the recipe as well as a chance to win a copy of the book. Good luck!

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... -giveaway/