| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Fire & Spice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bn.com has yet to mark this back down, amazon.com finally has...... however, in the virtual preview i can only see the list of recipes in the americas section........ could anyone take a pic of the other recipe chapter title pages so i can get an idea of all the recipes in the book??? it would be *much* appreciated!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

bookwormbethie wrote:
bn.com has yet to mark this back down, amazon.com finally has...... however, in the virtual preview i can only see the list of recipes in the americas section........ could anyone take a pic of the other recipe chapter title pages so i can get an idea of all the recipes in the book??? it would be *much* appreciated!

Try here... http://vegweb.com/community/cookbook-la ... be-updated

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for that link! i'm on the fence about which cookbook to order, this one, or VEW by terry.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

*finally* bn.com has discounted the book again so i bought it today. looking forward to receiving this, i have a few of robin's other cookbooks and everything with a couple of exceptions (related to my personal taste preferences and not the recipe itself) has been a hit.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just got this book. It's my first Robin Robertson book. I wish there were pictures but all the recipes seem very simple with good, short instructions. We made quick red bean dal. It's lovely.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just got this book (thanks to Hoodwinked!) and I'm surprised by how many recipes look good to me. I'm not a huge Robin Robertson fan, since Vegan Planet was just full of bland for me, but maybe this will turn that around. Tonight I'm making Rice with Lentils and Onions, which is totally basic, I know, but I'm stuffing red peppers with it, so there's that at least. I'm definitely going to add some minced hot chiles to it, though. I feel like a lot of the 3 pepper (ranking scale) recipes don't seem that hot for me, so I'll probably be adding loads more spice to most of the recipes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Made the recipe. Two qualms - my usual, which is that there is not enough seasoning, so the spice amounts should be practically doubled, and the cooking instructions were off! She didn't specify brown rice, and it seems like 30 minutes is a really long time to cook white rice (which is what I used as a default). So instead of boiling it uncovered for 30 minutes, then letting it sit on low, covered for 10, I covered, brought to a boil, then lowered to a simmer for 15ish minutes. Even that was too long, it's rather mushy. Oh well, after adding more of the spices and the juice of a lemon, at least it tastes good.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
I just got this book (thanks to Hoodwinked!) and I'm surprised by how many recipes look good to me. I'm not a huge Robin Robertson fan, since Vegan Planet was just full of bland for me, but maybe this will turn that around. Tonight I'm making Rice with Lentils and Onions, which is totally basic, I know, but I'm stuffing red peppers with it, so there's that at least. I'm definitely going to add some minced hot chiles to it, though. I feel like a lot of the 3 pepper (ranking scale) recipes don't seem that hot for me, so I'll probably be adding loads more spice to most of the recipes.

I like Robin enough that I have several of her books, but she's not my favorite author on my shelf either, and I loooove this book. I up the spice pretty often too though.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I probably made a mistake, making the blandest seeming recipe first. Just thought it might be good for T, but it ended up not wowing either one of us. Will try something else next! I usually give a book three chances before writing it off.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

It's definitely my favourite Robin book, though I generally up the spice too. I love how it is organised geographically and would give my left arm for Vegan Eats World to be arranged like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:36 pm 

I made the red bean dhal again today. It is so scrummy, easy & quick to make. I also made the saag curry which was delightful & the mushroom curry which seemed to have too much sauce.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm 

I decided to cook up red lentils in some bouillon powder & then added it to the mushroom curry to try & bulk out the sauce. It is now delicious & I think I'll make it like this next time.