| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheers to Vegan Sweets!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Holy cow, this just arrived in the mail, only had time for a very quick flick through, but *everthing* looks awesome. All the recipes seem so fresh, innovative, and creative, I can't recall seeing them anywhere else before! Can't wait to get into this one!

The book has a thorough index and a full list of recipes on each chapter page.

Anyone else have this title yet?

edited to add link: http://www.amazon.com/Cheers-Vegan-Swee ... 1592335683

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: Cheers to Vegan Sweets!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:24 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I got a review copy, but I haven't made enough yet to really form an opinion. However, I live in a small town and don't drink so we don't keep alcohol in the house, but I was able to mark off over a dozen recipes to try that either I won't have to go to the store for at all, or i'll need to go and get a lime to zest or something. I also found imitation rum flavoring* at the store so I can make some of the rum recipes. Lots of the recipes that involve alcohol have substitutions.

I'm actually about to make the apple cider cinnamon rolls!

*not actual rum extract, please don't kick me out of the kitchen.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

for those that already have their copy or were recipe testers, i'm looking at the strawberry kool-aid cookies on page 77.

it calls for 1 package strawberry kool-aid (or any other flavor) OR as an alternative, a 0.14 ounce powdered drink mix.

i have a package of lemonade kool-aid, i'm pretty sure it's standard size, but it's 0.23 oz (6.5g) do i use the whole package or just half? i'm just concerned since the alternative suggestion is nearly half the weight of the kool-aid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was a tester: MAKE. THE. CINNAMON ROLLS.

re: the kool-aid... i'd just make the entire pkg of lemonade? (or just weigh it)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wrote to Kelly last night and she e-mailed me back this morning! (When I went to the grocery store earlier I did notice that yes the kool-aid small packages do have varying ounces in them. I bought a fruit punch one as I think it was 0.16 ounce and will work better than using nearly double the amount of lemonade flavor.)

"I don't have a package on me right now, but I just looked into it and standard size packages of Kool-Aid apparently do vary in weight by flavor. They should contain the same amount of powder by volume, so most likely you will need to use the whole package. I'd start out with 3/4 or so of the package, taste the dough to see if the flavor is too strong, then add the rest. Hopefully that helps, and thanks for bringing this to my attention!"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't had a chance to make anything new from my copy yet, but the two standouts for me during testing were the beer brownies (I'm a total brownie snob and these are probably my favourite. I use a really rich, dark amber ale and it's so good) and the rosewater shortbread cookies. They're super easy but really delicate and fancy looking, so I've made them for a bunch of occasions like my sister in law's wedding day and Christmas, and everyone always loves them.

I had actually planned to make the brownies this weekend but I've been in gin-fuelled writing mode so I can't drive anywhere to get beer. Oops.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:23 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i really gotta get this book! my husband likes fancy alcohols (ok, and non fancy ones, too) and we have pretty wide variety of stuff on our liquor shelf. plus, apple cider cinnamon rolls and beer brownies sound amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

This sounds like my nightmare book. I just understood from your posts what this book is about *slowly steps out of the thread*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:08 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

VeganinBerlin wrote:
This sounds like my nightmare book. I just understood from your posts what this book is about *slowly steps out of the thread*

why come in this thread just to say this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sorry, I regretted posting this afterwards. I didn't come in this thread to post this, I kept reading this post and then I suddenly understood the title. Shouldn't have loaded my alcohol phobia in here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erinnerung wrote:
I haven't had a chance to make anything new from my copy yet, but the two standouts for me during testing were the beer brownies (I'm a total brownie snob and these are probably my favourite. I use a really rich, dark amber ale and it's so good) and the rosewater shortbread cookies. They're super easy but really delicate and fancy looking, so I've made them for a bunch of occasions like my sister in law's wedding day and Christmas, and everyone always loves them.

I had actually planned to make the brownies this weekend but I've been in gin-fuelled writing mode so I can't drive anywhere to get beer. Oops.

yeah i saw those too and they look amazing, is barley malt hard to find???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Not every recipe is alcohol based, and even the ones that are often have a substitution listed. I will sometimes cook with cooking wine or beer since you really just need to buy a beer and not an entire bottle of alcohol, but even if you're straight-edge you could get a lot of use out of this book.

The recipe I really want to try is the fried coke recipe. I grew up in the city where the state fair is held and one of the most painful things about being vegan is not being able to eat any fair food besides fries and a lemon shakeup.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh, awesome. I love baking with booze. I have a big liquor supply, but I only ever bake with it.

I'm off to order this!

(It's easy enough to replace alcohol anyway: a bit of extract plus more of whatever liquid you are using)

Rats--no Kindle version yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just found this in the bookstore and couldn't resist it. It's a beautiful book; all the recipes sound so amazing! After reading through the posts, I think I need to break it in by making the apple cider cinnamon rolls. Although the chocolate chai biscotti or the coffee stout salted caramels are gonna need to happen, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm not going to order the paper copy. I'm not going to order the paper copy. Lalallalalalal. No more books allowed in the house.

Over/unders on when I'll cave?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Sorry, I regretted posting this afterwards. I didn't come in this thread to post this, I kept reading this post and then I suddenly understood the title. Shouldn't have loaded my alcohol phobia in here.

I tested this book - and I don't drink at all. (i've JUST started cooking with wine). you can just use water for most of the alocholic stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

beethecookie wrote:
I just found this in the bookstore and couldn't resist it. It's a beautiful book; all the recipes sound so amazing! After reading through the posts, I think I need to break it in by making the apple cider cinnamon rolls. Although the chocolate chai biscotti or the coffee stout salted caramels are gonna need to happen, too.

i made these all the time. :D
my little tricks are this:

A: soak some raisins in some apple cider as well over night.
B: do reduce the sugar for the spread. all the sugar that kelly uses makes it very. very sweet. i mean it's still YUMMY but it's sugar overload with the entire amount - i think in my notes i reduced the spread to 1/8th brown sugar 1/8th white sugar mix (and go form there).
C: I like to stick everything in the roll. (Kelly was more "top it") my friends and I liked it all in the bun itself. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

daisysunshine wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

i made these all the time. :D
my little tricks are this:

A: soak some raisins in some apple cider as well over night.
B: do reduce the sugar for the spread. all the sugar that kelly uses makes it very. very sweet. i mean it's still YUMMY but it's sugar overload with the entire amount - i think in my notes i reduced the spread to 1/8th brown sugar 1/8th white sugar mix (and go form there).
C: I like to stick everything in the roll. (Kelly was more "top it") my friends and I liked it all in the bun itself. :)

Thanks for the tips! Especially B, since when I make cinnamon rolls I typically reduce the filling anyway. Now I know it's better that way!

Do you have any other favorite recipes from the book you'd like to share?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

my friends and I really liked the carrot whoopie pies. (but not w/the butter cream, we liked actual powered sugar frosting. i added some cream cheese to give it a more authentic "carrot cake taste.")... that's what came to mind right away. i'll have to go through the book and double check.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
yeah i saw those too and they look amazing, is barley malt hard to find???

Not sure about where you are, but it was pretty easy here. I either got it from a health food store or the health food aisle of the supermarket. Either way, I didn't struggle.

I'd forgotten about the chai biscotti, they were awesome. And I don't even really like biscotti that much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:10 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

daisysunshine wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I tested this book - and I don't drink at all. (i've JUST started cooking with wine). you can just use water for most of the alocholic stuff.

Thanks. Are the recipes any different from your ordinary vegan baking cookbook if you just use water instead, in general would you say?

I'll probably not order this book, though. I don't just drink, I get incredibly nervous when I see recipes asking for alcohol, I can't be around people drinking, etc etc. Phobias, as irrational as they come. But maybe if the library got them I could use it as therapy, ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:22 am 
Nailed to the V

daisysunshine wrote:
my friends and I really liked the carrot whoopie pies. (but not w/the butter cream, we liked actual powered sugar frosting. i added some cream cheese to give it a more authentic "carrot cake taste.")... that's what came to mind right away. i'll have to go through the book and double check.

Yes! The carrot whoopie pies totally caught my eye too! And the pumpkin beer loaf (I forget the exact name) and pretty much all the truffles and the strawberry kool-aid cookies....I'll stop now. This is making me want cookies for breakfast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:11 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Not every recipe is alcohol based, and even the ones that are often have a substitution listed. I will sometimes cook with cooking wine or beer since you really just need to buy a beer and not an entire bottle of alcohol, but even if you're straight-edge you could get a lot of use out of this book.

Yep, I made a conscious decision to seek out and list substitutions whenever possible. Also, the alcohol is baked off in many of the recipes, just like using vanilla extract. The book is really about recreating the flavors of the drinks in dessert form, not getting wasted off cake.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 am 
Nailed to the V

Last night we had breakfast for dinner. I made the Pumpkin Spice Beercakes, sans beer. They were a hit! They weren't very sweet pancakes, which is the kind I like. I may have eaten mine with some ginger cookie ice cream though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I volunteer at a vegan market, and we got a copy of this in this week. I snatched it up before it even made it to the shelf, I was so excited. I flipped through it and startled my fellow volunteer by gleefully exclaiming, "BEERAMISU!"

I agree that everything looks innovative and creative! I'm not sure what to make first, but my boyfriend's a cocktail nerd, so it'll almost certainly be something with booze in it.

I have to admit that I am equally disturbed and intrigued by grape kool-aid whoopie pies.