| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:59 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Today I bought sweet potatoes and fresh brussel sprouts, I can't wait to make the chili! It's my favourite ever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made these the other night with only some slight tweaking...SO good!
http://fellowshipofthevegetable.blogspo ... tacos.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

What's the consensus on the lasagna? I've seen bad reviews but I can't imagine that's true! I might make the lasagna from v'con instead or the baked pumpkin pasta dish from v'con but I'm trying to be healthier!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've cracked back out my copy of AFR, as I want to lose a bit of weight. I made a lot from it just after I got it, but recently I've been negleting all my cookbooks in favour of just winging it, cooking-wise.

Anyhow, I've been feeling soups recently, and over the past few days I've made Arabian Lentil and Rice Soup (which I made before, but without the lemon juice/zest since I forgot to buy a lemon - and it's so much better with), Caldo Verde (I blended the soup after adding the chard, rather than before, as I didn't really feel like having big shreds of greens in my soup), and Bistro Broccoli Chowder. All three were awesome, but the broccoli chowder was insanely good.

Next week I plan to make Buffalo tempeh (or possibly tofu, if I don't get a chance to go to the only shop around here that sells tempeh, which is kinda out of the way) and Cool Slaw wraps, Yam & Black Bean Soup, and Caulipots with Chickpea Gravy and Basic Baked Tofu. Possibly some other stuff. Will report back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Making the broccoli chowder today! Hoping I can find parsnips somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I made mine with carrots, since the recipe suggests them as a sub and I have tonnes in my fridge, and the soup was awesome, so there's always that if you can't find 'snips.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

veggiepalooza wrote:
What's the consensus on the lasagna? I've seen bad reviews but I can't imagine that's true! I might make the lasagna from v'con instead or the baked pumpkin pasta dish from v'con but I'm trying to be healthier!

I made the recipe using most of the suggested variations (tomatoes and olives, mushrooms, roasted red pepper). I liked it, but I felt something was missing. I'll put some bechamel sauce in there next time. It's probably no longer low-fat then, though! I actually preferred the lasagna to the baked ziti, because the ziti turned out too dry. I haven't made the Veganomicon lasagna yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This weeks grub is the tortilla soup and eggplant and chickpea curry. Both gorgeous and filling. Will be bringing the tortilla soup to work for my lunch every day then the curry in the evening with brown rice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Had the kidney bean and butternut jamba stew as well as the chickpea picatta this week. Both were very nummy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:49 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

veggiepalooza wrote:

The ricotta is wonderful. I found the sauce lacking, but I am very, very picky about my tomato sauces and should have just made my own.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

j-dub wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

The ricotta is wonderful. I found the sauce lacking, but I am very, very picky about my tomato sauces and should have just made my own.

Yes, this exactly. I usually make the sauce with some extras....sautee some onion and garlic, then add crushed tomatos, then add some fresh basil + nutritional yeast. Or make my own from scratch.

I would try it! it is often requested by my omni partner, and we serve it to company a lot. That cauliflower ricotta is pretty amazing. I always eat some right out of the bowl

(also, i always need to put the cauliflower in the food processor. It's way too chunky if you dont.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the creamy mushroom fettucini for the first time today! I loved it! I used a vegan mushroomsoup mix that was first cooked up on the stovetop, and I din't need the entire amount of cornstarch to get it really thick which was cool. Plus, I had leftover vegan mushroom soup hanging around after. How much of a win is that! I think the grren onion finishing the plated pasta really gave it something so special. yum!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm 

I made the tamarind bbq sweet potatoes and tempeh...the sweet potatoes were great but I think I'm just not a tempeh fan outside of wingz applications. The shaved brussels were good too, but maybe not worth the fiddliness of chopping them up.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Made the kidney bean & butternut jamba stew again tonight. I had some mixed greens in the fridge, so I stirred those in at the end. KB&BJS + greens = amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the big fat taco salad last night. It was very good and despite my reservations, I really enjoyed the guacamame. I added a little bit of grated smoked sheese and some homemade pineapple salsa and that pushed it over the top to delicious (without adding to many extra calories).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

j-dub wrote:
I made the tamarind bbq sweet potatoes and tempeh...the sweet potatoes were great but I think I'm just not a tempeh fan outside of wingz applications. The shaved brussels were good too, but maybe not worth the fiddliness of chopping them up.

I used tofu for mine. It was good. I'm not a tempeh fan either and I can't get it where I live anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the broccoli chowder tonight. I noticed that the recipe doesn't tell you how much oil to use so I just used about a teaspoon and added a splash of water when the onions started to stick a bit. It was tasty but I couldn't taste the parsnips so next time I make it, I think I will use more and cut down on the potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made the broccoli chowder for the first time and I was surprised how much it made! Every other soup I started in the big pot and then the finished yield was so small that it was kind of silly. This time I started in my small pot and I had to size up which was great because soup leftovers are the best.

I thought it was a little plain too so I added nooch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ooh yeah, good call on the nooch. I actually forgot to mention that I sprinkled a bit of vegan Parmesan on top of mine. And yes it makes a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm so happy I made a double batch of Lentil Shepherd's Pie and stashed some in the freezer. It was perfect for my "I want to lay in bed and eat chocolate all day" day off!

Tonight is either Arabian lentil rice soup, or smoky split pea soup. mmmmm.

I am DYING to try the lasagna, but I'm intimidated so I'm saving it for a weekend, not weeknight.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I leant afr and a couple of other vegan cookbooks to someone I don't know very well a few weeks ago. It was a moment of misguided vegangilism (she was interested) and attempted generosity. I now have reason to believe I will never see those books again (she's avoiding me and I since found out others have leant her things and never got them back). I'm pretty sad and just wanted to complain a bit. On the up side maybe she will use them and cook vegan more?

That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 am 

Mack the Spork wrote:
I'm so happy I made a double batch of Lentil Shepherd's Pie and stashed some in the freezer. It was perfect for my "I want to lay in bed and eat chocolate all day" day off!

Tonight is either Arabian lentil rice soup, or smoky split pea soup. mmmmm.

I am DYING to try the lasagna, but I'm intimidated so I'm saving it for a weekend, not weeknight.

It's super easy! I actually made it on a work night after I'd already made dinner for lunches for the week. Super duper easy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Ozma wrote:
I leant afr and a couple of other vegan cookbooks to someone I don't know very well a few weeks ago. It was a moment of misguided vegangilism (she was interested) and attempted generosity. I now have reason to believe I will never see those books again (she's avoiding me and I since found out others have leant her things and never got them back). I'm pretty sad and just wanted to complain a bit. On the up side maybe she will use them and cook vegan more?

That is all.

Bummer. I hope she'll have a change of heart and give them back to you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ozma wrote:

That is all.

Wow, that bites.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Can't wait to eat lotsa veggie lentil soup with warm bread by the fire tonight!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 121  Next