| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I want to make the tamarind BBQ tempeh & sweet potatoes with tofu instead of tempeh. Can I do this as a straight forward sub or do I need to take anything else into consideration?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I did this! It worked great! Do it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Yum!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:20 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

The Curry Laksa is sooooo good.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

j-dub wrote:
The Curry Laksa is sooooo good.

YES. I need to make this again now that it's getting cold out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Caldo.verde.tempeh. I was a fool to wait a year to finally try you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:11 am 
WELFARIST!

Finally made the Curry Laksa for the first time last night after reading the good reviews on here. It's so good! And easy! Why have I not made it before?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

allularpunk wrote:
Finally made the Curry Laksa for the first time last night after reading the good reviews on here. It's so good! And easy! Why have I not made it before?

I love this recipe! Although one time I added way too much bok choy - I had a huge bunch that was getting old and wanted to use it all up, so just added it all. It ruined the dish for me, and I was sad. Lesson learned!

Now I'm craving this hard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I didn't think "too much bok choy" was possible (but I believe you!). I also like to add some stir fried broccoli - the method from the miso udon stir fry just makes the most delicious broccoli and I want to eat it with eeeeeeeverything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 pm 

Nicole wrote:
I didn't think "too much bok choy" was possible (but I believe you!). I also like to add some stir fried broccoli - the method from the miso udon stir fry just makes the most delicious broccoli and I want to eat it with eeeeeeeverything.

I know, right? I didn't think it was possible either. I always wish there was a little more in there, as I tend to make the curry laska with a bundle or two of baby bok choy. That time it was a HUGE monster bok choy from our csa that had been shoved aside in the fridge too many times, so I just went for it. As I was chopping it up I thought, "man, this might be too much? .....nah". And then the soup was a watery, bitter and off tasting mess. Good idea about the broccoli!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 pm 

Nicole wrote:

I know, right? I didn't think it was possible either. I always wish there was a little more in there, as I tend to make the curry laska with a bundle or two of baby bok choy. That time it was a HUGE monster bok choy from our csa that had been shoved aside in the fridge too many times, so I just went for it. As I was chopping it up I thought, "man, this might be too much? .....nah". And then the soup was a watery, bitter and off tasting mess. Good idea about the broccoli!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always use a big bok choy in the laksa, but I let it simmer a little bit instead of just letting it wilt under the warm soup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 pm 

creep wrote:
I always use a big bok choy in the laksa, but I let it simmer a little bit instead of just letting it wilt under the warm soup.

Yeah, that's how I do it too - I cook the chopped stems a bit and then add in the chopped leaves to simmer a bit. With that monster bok choy a while ago there was so much in it that it was mostly bok choy. The liquid ratio was way off, and it turned the broth very watery and almost bitter tasting. My husband, who loves that curry laska and is always up for more greens said, there is too much bok choy in here and it's gross. I should have only done half of the bunch since it was so massive but I was trying not to waste any, and I thought, more greens is always good, right?? Turns out, wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If you still wanted to add more greens, you could saute them before adding them to the soup... That should work!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the Veggie Potpie Stew and Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits (which I subbed in pumpkin for). The stew was so delicious and will definitely make again. The biscuits... well pumpkin might have been too watery a substitute. Next time I'll try it again with sweet potato or the canned pumpkin from trader joe's since theirs is almost dry it has so little water in it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:15 am 

Nimmy wrote:
I made the Veggie Potpie Stew and Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits (which I subbed in pumpkin for). The stew was so delicious and will definitely make again. The biscuits... well pumpkin might have been too watery a substitute. Next time I'll try it again with sweet potato or the canned pumpkin from trader joe's since theirs is almost dry it has so little water in it.

If that was your first try for those biscuits DEFINITELY try them again with sweet potato. They are so good, they're my go to biscuit in the fall and winter when we have a lot of roasted sweet potato in the fridge or freezer. I've never substituted pumpkin, but once I did substitute a super starching japanese yam. It was so thick once roasted, but they still came out ok. I also subbed roasted kuri squash one time, and that went well too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the mushroom fettuccine and did not love it, but that is probably because I had the epiphany that what I really wanted was fettuccine alfredo. I feel like fettuccine alfredo will prove elusive, and that makes me kind of sad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

emmalv wrote:
I made the mushroom fettuccine and did not love it, but that is probably because I had the epiphany that what I really wanted was fettuccine alfredo. I feel like fettuccine alfredo will prove elusive, and that makes me kind of sad.

The Chloe's Kitchen version uses a cashew cream, and it's closer than any other one I've tried.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks creep, I'll check it out. I'm hoping its out on her blog or the interwebz... I dont have Chloe's Kitchen and I am totally doing a good job of reeling in the cookbook spending. Except for Isa Does It, but I preordered ages ago and that one shouldn't count anyway, its like a given.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 am 
WELFARIST!

I didn't love the hoisin mustard tofu lettuce wraps, but I think it's because I cooked it all in my cast iron skillet and everything got a little charred? Also, when my boyfriend asked what I was eating, I jokingly called them 'low carb sad wraps', and I think I convinced myself that they weren't filling enough (but really, they are). And I made the sundried tomato walnut dressing...which I also didn't love. It was just too acidic for me. But I made a little pasta salad with some beans and veggies and a frozen pesto cube, and the dressing was really good mixed into that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the eggplant provencal for dinner and it was delicious! It went together pretty quickly, too. I served it over rice. It was even saucy enough for my husband, whose most common remark is: "What, no sauce?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:03 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I made the Unfried Fried Rice tonight and I would make it again with some tweaks. I used vegetable oil instead of sesame and started with 3-4 cups of already cooked brown rice so it cut down on cooking time for dinner.

Next time around, I'd omit the ginger entirely because, although I like ginger in a teriyaki stir-fry, I just do not like it in my fried rice. The rest of the family agreed.

I'd also cook the shallots a little longer. So that they were browned on the edges and add the garlic once the shallots were almost all finished so it doesn't burn. I added more soy sauce too (my notes for next item say to add 2-3 Tbsp). I didn't add as much green onions but did sautéed tofu cubes, sliced yellow pepper, snow peas, and a handful of frozen peas (not thawed). I sautéed the veggies after I took the shallot/garlic/ginger stuff out of the pan but before I added the rice (and I took the out of the pan to a separate bowl after they were still crisp but cooked a bit so that I could then add the rice). Once the rice was done, I added everything back to the pan to incorporate and get friendly with each other for a bit then dished them up. I topped with sesame seeds for all but my little guy's bowl (since he's allergic).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

emmalv wrote:

try the butternut alfredo on the site. i don't know how long it's been since you've had alfredo, but if you just want a super rich, creamy sauce it will totally hit the spot. it's so crazy good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

emmalv wrote:

This is the ONE recipe that I haven't liked from this book, and I have cooked almost everything. I just don't love recipes that call for instant soup, so I'm not even trying any others like that again.

allularpunk wrote:
I didn't love the hoisin mustard tofu lettuce wraps, but I think it's because I cooked it all in my cast iron skillet and everything got a little charred? Also, when my boyfriend asked what I was eating, I jokingly called them 'low carb sad wraps', and I think I convinced myself that they weren't filling enough (but really, they are). And I made the sundried tomato walnut dressing...which I also didn't love. It was just too acidic for me. But I made a little pasta salad with some beans and veggies and a frozen pesto cube, and the dressing was really good mixed into that.

Oh man, I LOVE those wraps! Actually I think the hoisin tofu is the bomb but I don't usually serve it in a lettuce wrap. I just serve over rice or quinoa. Sorry it got charred! It's usually amazing and so easy. I keep a giant jar of hoisin just for this recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 pm 

allularpunk wrote:

Oh man, I LOVE those wraps! Actually I think the hoisin tofu is the bomb but I don't usually serve it in a lettuce wrap. I just serve over rice or quinoa. Sorry it got charred! It's usually amazing and so easy. I keep a giant jar of hoisin just for this recipe.[/quote]

I love those wraps too! I almost always make them with the unfried rice and something like broccoli on the side, and have always found it to be a really filling meal. We have them as lettuce wraps, and I love the crispness of the lettuce with the messy filling. And they're so fast and easy! I may have to make them for dinner tomorrow night now that I've thought about them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 121  Next