| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:22 am 
WRETCHED

I'm going to cook more out of it. I made the Upside Down Shepherd's pie last night.

As for curries, they all vary but spices only last for a year or so. In Indian curry things, the asian curry would be different. It might be good but you shouldn't expect it to taste like the recipe is intended because curry spices are really just a mixture of spices and asian curry mixtures use a different mix.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:20 pm 
Ninja Master

I need to dig it out. There's still a tonne of recipes I haven't made yet.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ambular_ wrote:
Question: I'm in a curry powder rut. I mean, I bought some in bulk quite some time ago (not sure how many years ago :/ ) and I used to make quite a lot of Indian curries but I got really burned out. Or, maybe my curry powder is just old and terrible. I do have some of the Chinese kind that Isa calls for in the IDI curry peanut sauce. Would that work for the Indian curry things? I have been subbing green curry paste on some things where they make sense - for example, the summer corn chowder with green curry paste is AMAZING. Thoughts? Or should I just buy new curry powder?

I had the same issue and in my case, it turned out to be old curry powder. I even started a PPK thread asking for curry powder recommendations. You can find that thread here:

http://theppk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19889

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:03 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

thanks ya'll! I will seek out new curry powder and try some Indian recipes again soon.

Banner weekend for me! Today I made the pizza hummus - YUM! I used the vitamix so needed double the liquid. I like it a bit thinner anyways.

Sanctuary salad OMG!!! I skipped over this recipe for years because I have never really liked anything with silken tofu. But the blanching really does the trick and the flavor is phenomenal! My changes to the salad: omitted radishes, onion, the tofu and the cauliflower. Added: cucumbers, radish sprouts, shredded red cabbage, sunflower seeds and crumbled buffalo tempeh. WOW! Possibly the best salad I've ever had. The eggplant bacon and in some ways the tempeh almost seem like cheese in the salad. The softish/chewy textures of them along with the salty bite really remind me of shredded or crumbled cheese! Awesome.

Tomorrow is the onion rings! And probably some waffles from another book. Need carbs - hiking!

Next up: pad thai salad with some kind of protein OR vietnamese rice noodle salad?! I might have to make the sushi roll salad again - I made it when I first got the book years ago and loved it. Have not made it since...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:12 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ambular_ wrote:
Question: I'm in a curry powder rut. I mean, I bought some in bulk quite some time ago (not sure how many years ago :/ ) and I used to make quite a lot of Indian curries but I got really burned out. Or, maybe my curry powder is just old and terrible. I do have some of the Chinese kind that Isa calls for in the IDI curry peanut sauce. Would that work for the Indian curry things? I have been subbing green curry paste on some things where they make sense - for example, the summer corn chowder with green curry paste is AMAZING. Thoughts? Or should I just buy new curry powder?

It could be old curry powder for sure, but curry powders vary a lot so it might be worth trying a new one. I like the one that Sprouts sells in the bulk jars, if you have access to that store (the mix in the individual jars is different). It has no chile pepper so I can add a ton of curry flavor without making it too spicy for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 am 
BAD PASS

I highly recommend Spicemode! http://www.spicemode.co/collections/spi ... seasonings

My friend Amar makes it all by hand and it's INSANELY flavorful and delicious. The cooking sauces are also killer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:14 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

another shout to sanctuary salad! my omni friend inhaled this. He had meat and onion rings on his plate but he just focused on the salad. he will eat veggies but does not cook them nor seek them out for himself. score!

Question: how long do you suppose the dressing lasts? I am not finicky when it comes to stretching use by dates....however, somethings just turn quickly for instance homemade nut milks....this has very little vinegar in it as a preservative so I'm curious about the tofu base.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

fenice wrote:
How was it that I've had AFR all this time and never made the Smoky Tempeh & Greens? I rectified that oversight last night. I thought with all that tomato and so little oil that it might have a thin, acid taste, but it was so complex and full-flavoured.

I just read through this thread the other day when meal planning and your post made me try the smoky tempeh and greens because I keep getting chard in my CSA and I'm not a chard fan. This is so good! I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it. I underestimated the amount of smoked paprika I had left and didn't have the full 4 teaspoons but added some smoked salt. I almost didn't put the stems in due to my chard dislike but I added them since the note in the book said not to leave them out. So good!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:22 am 
WRETCHED

Made the zucchini and black bean tacos (although didn't make tacos, just the filling) and it is really good, I need to make it more often.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:57 am 
WRETCHED

I want to sing the praises of the Lotsa Veggie Lentil soup and also the Caldo Verde with Crumbled tempeh. I've made both before but they helped fix my "It is 100 degrees and I want soup" craving. Plus I always stare at potatoes and think "what do I do with you?" and the Caldo Verde fixed that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Good gracious, I love this cookbook! The dressing from the Vietnamese noodle salad is my go-to dressing for all salads. The 2nd Avenue veggie korma is what I make whenever I'm sick (I add chickpeas for extra protein), and the sweet potato biscuits are AMAZING and easily gf-adaptable.

I think I may be the only person ever that did not like the Arabian lentil soup. I made it based on the glowing reviews here. I don't know if it was the spice combo or what, but I just couldn't eat it. I'm not sure if I can ever bring myself to try again because it was just that awful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128