| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 120  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I considered making it with apple or peach once upon a time. I can't imagine it not being good. My mango doesn't usually become part of the sauce though. It gets really soft, but it holds its own. Maybe I'm just cutting it larger.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oooh I think a peach would work great! My mango was super ripe and it was cut pretty small, so I guess that's why it broke down so much. I liked it that way though, so no complaints here. :)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:44 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of fruit in savoury food, but I like the mango in that dish. I dunno, maybe pineapple?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Spinach Lasagna with Roasted Cauliflower Ricotta is in the oven right now...smelling yummy! I only needed about 4 oz of noodles to make 3 layers in my 8x8" pan, so that saves some calories and will let me cut it into 4ths instead of 6ths and have larger servings. ;) It was kind of labor intensive...I went into the kitchen at 4 and came out at about 5:10. Using no-cook lasagna noodles will help. That was my intention but I had a label-reading fail at Target and accidentally bought some with egg in them, so I had to use my regular ones. I need to remember to buy more of the DeLallo Whole Wheat No-Cook Lasagna the next time I go to Whole Foods. It fits my 8x8" pan perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Efcliz wrote:
Yeah, I'm also not a fan of fruit in savoury food, but I like the mango in that dish. I dunno, maybe pineapple?

I was thinking pineapple too.

I made the bowl last night with quinoa, steamed broccoli, tempeh, and peanut-lime dragon dressing. For some reason I'd thought I didn't care for that dressing but I thought it was GREAT this time. I think maybe I added too much hot sauce the first time I made it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always say hypothetically that I'm not really into fruit in savory foods... like it doesn't really SOUND good. But every time I've ever had fruit in savory foods, I've liked it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

karichelle wrote:
It was kind of labor intensive...I went into the kitchen at 4 and came out at about 5:10. Using no-cook lasagna noodles will help. That was my intention but I had a label-reading fail at Target and accidentally bought some with egg in them, so I had to use my regular ones. I need to remember to buy more of the DeLallo Whole Wheat No-Cook Lasagna the next time I go to Whole Foods. It fits my 8x8" pan perfectly.

I learned a trick a few years ago that I've had great success with. When using regular lasagna noodles (the kind you are supposed to boil), instead of boiling them just lay them in a pan completely submerged in the hottest water you can get from your faucet. Leave them in there while you prep your other ingredients (about 15 - 20 minutes or so) and then just assemble the lasagna like you had boiled them, don't worry about patting them dry or anything just take them right from their hot soak and use them in your lasagna. I've always had the noodle texture come out just fine when I've done that.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:10 am 
Naked Under Apron

karichelle wrote:
I need to remember to buy more of the DeLallo Whole Wheat No-Cook Lasagna the next time I go to Whole Foods. It fits my 8x8" pan perfectly.

Good tip! I hate the Tetris-esque game of trying to fit lasagne noodles in the pan. Also I didn't know ww no-boil noodles existed, so I will keep an eye out for these!

Also, damnit, I meant to make those mango bbq beans this week and then I went and ate my last mango! Hopefully it's still cheap mango season.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Amy wrote:
karichelle wrote:
I need to remember to buy more of the DeLallo Whole Wheat No-Cook Lasagna the next time I go to Whole Foods. It fits my 8x8" pan perfectly.

Good tip! I hate the Tetris-esque game of trying to fit lasagne noodles in the pan. Also I didn't know ww no-boil noodles existed, so I will keep an eye out for these!

Also, damnit, I meant to make those mango bbq beans this week and then I went and ate my last mango! Hopefully it's still cheap mango season.

I'm guessing this is probably covered somewhere in this 80+ page thread, but has anyone tried making this with canned mango? how did it turn out?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Don't know about canned mango, but frozen worked fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

rohai wrote:
karichelle wrote:
It was kind of labor intensive...I went into the kitchen at 4 and came out at about 5:10. Using no-cook lasagna noodles will help. That was my intention but I had a label-reading fail at Target and accidentally bought some with egg in them, so I had to use my regular ones. I need to remember to buy more of the DeLallo Whole Wheat No-Cook Lasagna the next time I go to Whole Foods. It fits my 8x8" pan perfectly.

I learned a trick a few years ago that I've had great success with. When using regular lasagna noodles (the kind you are supposed to boil), instead of boiling them just lay them in a pan completely submerged in the hottest water you can get from your faucet. Leave them in there while you prep your other ingredients (about 15 - 20 minutes or so) and then just assemble the lasagna like you had boiled them, don't worry about patting them dry or anything just take them right from their hot soak and use them in your lasagna. I've always had the noodle texture come out just fine when I've done that.

That's what I've always done too, works a charm :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I love the soaking the noodles idea! I'm going to do that next time I make lasagna.

Tonight I'm making the Caribbean black-eyed pea curry - yum!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

doncherryfan wrote:
I'm guessing this is probably covered somewhere in this 80+ page thread, but has anyone tried making this with canned mango? how did it turn out?

Yep, and it turned out just fine! Boyfriend is super picky about fruit in things (as a general rule, he only likes fruit on its own- no pies, no muffins, and definitely nothing savoury), but he loves these beans.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Made the Summer Curry Corn Chowder again last night. More than any other lunches I've made this has gotten the most comments at work about how amazing it smells. Probably my favorite lunch, first one I've made a second time.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:55 pm 

Amy wrote:
karichelle wrote:

http://www.delallo.com/products/importe ... il-lasagna

My WF had moved them all the way to the bottom corner of the shelf and I thought they weren't carrying them anymore until my husband spotted them. I only have to use 2 noodles per layer of these in my 8x8" glass Pyrex dish. I love them.

Tonight, AFR is going to meet up and (hopefully) have a love child with my Pampered Chef Round Covered Baker (small version of the Deep Covered Baker) because it's hot outside and I really want to make dinner in the microwave instead of on the stove. Quinoa Puttanesca seems like it would adapt perfectly. Make the sauce in the RCB and then, while it's standing to cool a bit, make the quinoa in the microwave rice cooker.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the creamy horseradish dressing last night to go on the Sanctuary Salad. It was DELICIOUS! But, the dressing is SOOOO thick. Any suggestions to thin it out without losing its amazing flavor.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 pm 

DFresh wrote:
Made the Summer Curry Corn Chowder again last night. More than any other lunches I've made this has gotten the most comments at work about how amazing it smells. Probably my favorite lunch, first one I've made a second time.

I made this last night too for the second time!! I could eat it every day. That and the herb roasted cauliflower that I tried for the first time last night.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

kara kara wrote:
The potato spinach curry is amazeballs. That is all.

You inspired me to make this tonight - agreed, amazeballs.

I added some chickpeas (along with a little extra broth) to make it a one-pot meal. Yum! This will go into the rotation for sure. The popped mustard seeds are key.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 am 
Ninja Master

Yesterday I made Eggplant Kibbeh (really good) & broiled blackened tofu (I could take or leave it, but it was good) for lunch and the Irish Stew (AMAZING) for dinner. I am excited for leftovers of both today.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Victoire wrote:
DFresh wrote:

I made this last night too for the second time!! I could eat it every day. That and the herb roasted cauliflower that I tried for the first time last night.

Haha, I'd actually been trying to make this again for a little over a month. Saturday was the first day I saw corn was finally back in stock after winter at my coop.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 pm 

I finally made Mac & Trees w/ Buffalo Tempeh last night. It was so delicious (I may end up making it almost every week!).

But, when I cooked the Cheezy Sauce, it got thick VERY quickly. I had only had it in the potfor a second before the bottom started getting solid almost! I live in a really dry climate so I add extra water to almost everything... is that what I need to do here, or is something else wrong?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 am 
Ninja Master

I made the portobello pepper steak stew last night and it was awesome. I used fry's beefy strips though instead of seitan, as I was too lazy to make seitan.

It was very satisfying to sit down at the dinner table and have my mum look jealous and say 'that looks way better than ours'. They had an anemic looking ready meal cottage pie and some tinned sweeetcorn. It looked superbly crepe! ha!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 am 

Victoire wrote:
I finally made Mac & Trees w/ Buffalo Tempeh last night. It was so delicious (I may end up making it almost every week!).

But, when I cooked the Cheezy Sauce, it got thick VERY quickly. I had only had it in the potfor a second before the bottom started getting solid almost! I live in a really dry climate so I add extra water to almost everything... is that what I need to do here, or is something else wrong?

I had the heat too high and burned some of it to the bottom of the pot...next time I will use lower heat. Could have been that, maybe?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the herbed cauliflower last night and it was super easy and tasty.
I also made the baked falafel for the second time and this time they came out perfect and delicious. I don't know why but the first time I made them I could not get them to stop being totally wet and squishy, no matter how much chickpea flour I added! I was still in Japan and it was humid so I guess that's all it was.

Also, just need to give a little love to the Caribbean curried black-eyed peas with plantains. I served it with the mashed yuca (also from AFR) and it was forking delicious! Will definitely make both recipes again!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:38 am 

Hi! So I bought all the ingredients for the Chipotle Lentil burgers but I ended up using the canned lentils for something else. I would rather not run out to buy more... can I use black beans or kidney beans or something else instead?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2988 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 120  Next