| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3031 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Victoire wrote:
Hi! So I bought all the ingredients for the Chipotle Lentil burgers but I ended up using the canned lentils for something else. I would rather not run out to buy more... can I use black beans or kidney beans or something else instead?

Sure! I think that pintos would work well, but if you don't have any, black beans would be my second choice.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

IsaChandra wrote:
Victoire wrote:
Hi! So I bought all the ingredients for the Chipotle Lentil burgers but I ended up using the canned lentils for something else. I would rather not run out to buy more... can I use black beans or kidney beans or something else instead?

Sure! I think that pintos would work well, but if you don't have any, black beans would be my second choice.

Thanks Isa! I have to say it was so exciting to get a reply from you :)

And the burgers turned out great with black beans!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I just made the Cauliflower Pesto soup for lunch. So easy, filling, and good!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Red Velvet Mole as my addition to Mom's day. We had a taco bar so everyone could find something to eat with the variety of eating habits we have.

Everyone thought it was AWESOME!! It was sooo flavorful. It was perfect as a condiment. I got my chili powder from bulk at Whole Foods and I mixed 2 different kinds.

My family said as long as it's not "tofu" they'll eat from this cookbook!! SCORE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone know if the cashew miso mayo freezes well? Or how long it keeps? It makes so much and it's so salty to me (I think it's my miso) that I won't go through it very quickly at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Reggie wrote:
My family said as long as it's not "tofu" they'll eat from this cookbook!! SCORE!!!!

This would make me tempted to serve them the roasted cauliflower lasagna without telling them what's in it!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

LOL, Molly. Me too. AND the everything else that you couldn't tell there was tofu in it, and then just be... TOFU! :D

I made my first AFR recipe - the Pizza Hummus, and I used my ninja to make a BIG batch (basically servings. I live off hummus). I spent a long time hunting for my tahini (as I thought it would need it), but I re-read the recipe and it did not call for it. (interesting!).

What I did differently:

I didn't measure out the lemon juice, I just squeezed my lemon right in there.
I used hemp oil instead of olive
I used a mixture of the sundried tomato water + chickpea water

I used a mixture of Herbamere (spicy) & Mrs Dash Original seasoning + a pinch of regular salt for taste.

Nom.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

molly wrote:
Reggie wrote:

This would make me tempted to serve them the roasted cauliflower lasagna without telling them what's in it!

Bwahahahahah......... I'm sure this will be in my family's future! ;-D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Pizza Hummus. Oh, yes.
it tastes just like pizza. hail the sundried tomato

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally made the lasagne last night! I kind of had reservations about it- I'm pretty picky about lasagne, so I really didn't want to go to the effort of making one just to have it taste low-fat and kind of sad. But I like it! It's really not that different to my usual tofu ricotta lasagne, only it has about half the calories. I wish I wasn't an idiot and had started making this earlier in my weight loss 'journey' (I hate that word).

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

molly wrote:
Reggie wrote:

I made this the other night, and it's my new go-to for winning over the skeptics. It is unreal how good this is!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:09 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Finally made the Sanctuary Dressing. OMG good!! I had been putting it off forever because I'm an avowed ranch-dressing hater, but it tastes nothing like my memories of ranch dressing. It's so yummy!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I agree about the sanctuary dressing! I made it once before but without the dill as I knew one of the people eating with us hates dill and it was pretty good - I probably subbed some other herbs.

I tried it again last week with the dill and have eaten about half a tonne of veggies dipped into it. Last night I licked the container clean (hope no one was watching) and want to make more tonight. I have to plant some dill!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Just got this cookbook for my birthday. Not sure what to try first. Very excited

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:59 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

GraciaKai wrote:
Do you guys feel that one serving isn't filling enough? Or are you just not trying to eat only one serving? Just curious, because I feel like eating one serving of the stews, curries or chilis is pretty much enough for me. I haven't made any of the soups yet, I'm not really a soup for a meal kind of person. I like to start with a small bowl of soup, but it's never my choice for the main entree. So I don't know if one serving of soup would fill me up.

I think when I made the 40 clove garlic dish we ate all of it in one night! And I added pasta to it.

My husband and I are never filled up on the serving size. If it's for 4 servings, it's usually 2 for us. When the recipe calls for 6 servings, it's perfect for my husband, kid and I and there will usually be enough leftovers for one person the next day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:10 pm 

I made the sweet potato and sprout chipolte chilli - but I subbed kale for sprouts (they will never darken my kitchen ever...ever, evil things)

But I used 2 cans of chopped tomatoes as I didn't Google crushed tom's and it was quite liquidy in the end :( so I made lime and coriander rice from VV and mixed the 2 to make a rice bowl (leaving out the lime at the end of the chilli recipe) - it was fab! :)

(I now know crushed toms have less liquid than standard chopped toms though)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 am 

I just made the Chickpea Piccata for the first time along with Caulipots (which I have made several times). This is one of the best meals I've ever made. Even though I LOVE chickpeas I had not tried this before because it calls for wine and I don't really drink and don't keep wine in the house. I just left it out and used more broth. I also used more than one can of chickpeas because my husband (who normally works 2nd shift) was home and he was going on about how hungry he was. I had enough for leftover lunch today.

I will certainly make this again and I recommend it to everyone. It felt so special to be eating something so good on a Thursday night at home.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Just made the veggie potpie stew! It was reaally good. Lots of leftovers put into various containers for enjoyment later on in the week. I think it is going to be a good week.

eta: I finished a loaf of bread at the same time. Using fresh bread to dip in the stew and scrape the bottom of the bowl afterwards was a wonderful experience

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Man oh man that nicoise salad is the shiitake! Can't believe it took me so long to make it. The Green Goddess dressing is my new favorite. Next time I'm going to make the chickpeas the same way with the dressing and capers and I'm gonna make a sandwich. Love it when I find a new gem!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just made the balsamic vinagrette, with a few changes -- regular yellow mustard instead of dijon, because I didn't have any dijon; garlic scapes instead of shallots, because I had a ton of garlic scapes to use up somehow; and no salt, because I've found most of the recipes in this book to be too salty for me -- and I love it. I've got one of the little TriBest blenders, and they're great for making all the dressings from this book -- just throw the stuff into the container, blend, and you've got a container of salad dressing. Only cleanup is the blade piece, which I just rinse off and then put in the dishwasher.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

oh my goodness. GReen onion miso vinagrette... SOOOOOOoooOOOO good; definitely top five homemade dressings. I sauteed up some steamed white seitan from viva vegan + shredded carrots + lotsa lettuce.... yum!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the quinoa puttanesca earlier today - so good! That sauce is so flavourful. I added a couple of chopped marjoram veggie sausages and a few handfuls of baby spinach at the end of cooking and it was delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Accidentally put marsala wine in the marinade for the red wine and kalamata tempeh...hmph.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the wild rice, beetroot, orange salad last night. Beautiful colours and very tasty. I really like the orange-sesame dressing too. Will definitely use that again for other things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am going to make the piccata tomorow and I actually bought wine for it. I don't drink AT ALL but I figure as the wine needs to boil the alcohol goes 'poof' and i'm just having something really delicious. (I'm pairing this with Mint Brownies (VCIYCJ) and Potato Leek Bake (Dreena's Everyday Vegan).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3031 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 122  Next