| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

The sweet potato biscuits induce total bliss. I needed to make a little something to stretch the leftover gravy, veggies/beans and millet in the fridge into a meal for 4. The recipe came together fast and baked even faster. Happy Happy !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got mine in the mail today. I can't wait to start making things. I'll admit a little sadness for no desserts, but I know it is for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I grew impatient with Amazon since they still haven't shipped mine, so I went out and bought a copy at Powells tonight. I am going to let my omni mom pick some things to make while she is here visiting this weekend. Then I can send her home with the book (or if she doesn't want it I will bring it to the next PDX meetup to giveaway since I still have my copy coming from Amazon). Hooray!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am currently munching on a bowl of salad covered in the balsamic vinaigrette. Soooo good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:39 pm 
Chard Martyr

coldandsleepy wrote:
I just bought a second copy today to give to my in-laws for Christmas. (They're not vegan, but they eat mostly vegetarian and way low fat, so I think they'll really dig this.)

Also, a word to the wise. You know when Isa says to use store bought bread crumbs and precooked lentils in the Chipotle-Lentil Burgers? Yeah, she's not joking. We didn't have any normal bread crumbs so we put panko in and while these were intensely delicious, they were also suuuuuper squishy and just not quite right.

yeah, you definitely have to use store bought fine ground crumbs! those burgers are SO GOOD!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:41 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I bought this yesterday- thanks Borders coupons! Everything looks great but I am dying for the pad thai and Vietnamese salads. Those are both getting made first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mine just came! yay! it brought viva vegan along for the ride too, but that ones headed out for a birthday present.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

ijustdiedinside wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Also, a word to the wise. You know when Isa says to use store bought bread crumbs and precooked lentils in the Chipotle-Lentil Burgers? Yeah, she's not joking. We didn't have any normal bread crumbs so we put panko in and while these were intensely delicious, they were also suuuuuper squishy and just not quite right.

yeah, you definitely have to use store bought fine ground crumbs! those burgers are SO GOOD!

No kidding. I ate FOUR of them (sans buns, because I don't want to waste my WW points on fluffy bread). And a big bowl of broccoli. And then I lolled about the couch feeling fat and happy and yet not having really overindulged at all.

This book is magical and I love it more with every recipe I make.

This week we're making:
An epic feast of Shaved Brussels, Silky Chickpea Gravy, Caulipots, and Basic Baked Tofu
Red wine & kalamata tempeh on a bed of whole wheat couscous with kale or chard on the side
Caesar Chavez dressing on a quinoa-kale-black bean bowl
Buffalo tempeh with collards and sweet potatoes
Jalapeno-cilantro hummus with whole wheat crackers and a huge bowl of raw vegetables
Potpie stew! Probably with brown rice

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been seriously needing to make the lettuce wraps, but found my mirin was expired by about a year. I couldn't find any mirin at the international market, but I grabbed some regular rice cooking wine (I got the reddish one, there was also white) would that work, maybe with some sugar thrown in?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:26 pm 
And you never will.

coldandsleepy wrote:
Basic Baked Tofu

I have made this about 1 million times and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Get an extra block of tofu, save the marinade and make it twice. Use the extra for sandwiches and on salads and in sushi and straight out of the fridge in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the black eyed peas & greens tonight. I had some slow-cooked black eyed peas in the freezer from a few months ago, and I used kale instead of collards because I'm not a real southerner.

I realized 5 minutes before it was done that I should've been making cornbread to go with it, but I was too hungry to wait at that point. So if you make this, DON'T FORGET TO MAKE CORNBREAD.

Oh yeah, it was reeeeeeal good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 pm 
And you never will.

I used to think you needed cornbread with black eyed peas and greens, until I made that recipe along with the mashed sweet potatoes and apples. Cover the peas and greens in hot sauce and take a bite of those with the sweet potatoes together on the fork - oh my gosh, you will never go back. I want some right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 pm 
Chip Strong

I made the curried scrambled tofu with arugula tonight. It was nice! It made me realize how light I go on the curry when I normally make things. I am dying to make the Goddess Nicoise next.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

poopiebitch wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Basic Baked Tofu

I have made this about 1 million times and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Get an extra block of tofu, save the marinade and make it twice. Use the extra for sandwiches and on salads and in sushi and straight out of the fridge in the middle of the night.

Cooooool, I was hoping I could reuse the marinade! I made it the other day and didn't save the marinade and instantly felt like a dummy.

bekki, I think the best thing to sub mirin with is some kind of booze. A little bit of white wine, or sake, or cooking sherry. I think in a pinch you could probably do a light vinegar (white vinegar or rice maybe) with a pinch of sugar. It won't come out exactly the same, but will still be edible!

+1 to the curried scrambled tofu love. We had that last weekend and it was tasty.

Since I'm still sick and we're all tired, tonight we used our random meal (we only plan out 6 dinners a week) and tossed together the Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce and put it on brown rice pasta, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale. It was delicious. It's as good as my old go-to recipe for cheezy sauce, but uh, without the 1/4c of oil

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 pm 
WRETCHED

I was just thinking about the Tortilla soup today, it is sooo good. I highly recommend it. Also Arabian lentil and rice soup.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Wait, this is out already?!

ETA: I got so excited the English language failed me. Fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I would like my book now! Yes I would! C'mon postman! (I just ordered haha)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:44 am 
Saggy Butt

Oooooooh! I did not know this was out already! Dang... Now I need to get this AND Alternate Vegan... And The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions. So many things I want!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:34 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I made the roasted cauliflower with herbs and bread crumbs last night. I had it with lasagna and it was so good!! The perfect side dish for an italian meal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Basic Baked Tofu

ha it was the first thing I made yesterday, saved the marinade, and bought more tofu this morning. I sat at Wegmans for like 45 minutes meal planning out of this book and am so excited for the recipes I'll be making thi week. I even brought it around with me yesterday to have show n tell with my buds. Everything looks soooo good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Just got this yesterday and I want to try just about everything (except the one or two things that have an important ingredient I don't like - beets, I'm looking at you)!

We're having the sushi salad, whatever it's actually called, for dinner tonight, partly because I'm craving sushi as usual (and am too lazy to do any rolling) and partly because my kids like the rice and fillings in sushi but not the nori wrappers. I'm thinking about tempeh helper tomorrow with some form of GF pasta since I'm trying for the trillionth time to go easy on the wheat for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I got my tester copy, and I'm about to dive in to read!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

my tester photos, if anyone is interested: http://getsconedpdx.com/2010/12/09/appe ... en-photos/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

jdfunks wrote:
my tester photos, if anyone is interested: http://getsconedpdx.com/2010/12/09/appe ... en-photos/

Very! Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

jdfunks wrote:

Thanks, those look great!

Reply to topic  [ 2914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 117  Next