| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I just made the edamame pesto for the first time. I found it a little bland, to be honest. I will try doubling the basil next time. On the plus side, holy hell is it filling!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

j-dub wrote:
I just made the edamame pesto for the first time. I found it a little bland, to be honest. I will try doubling the basil next time. On the plus side, holy hell is it filling!

This is one of my favorite meals. But I thinki doubled the garlic and added more basil and cilantro. I also added mushrooms and artichoke hearts.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:02 am 
Ninja Master

I made the quinoa puttanesca (sp?) last night. This would have been a recipe I would have avoided like the plague in the past - olives? Ergh, capers - double erghh!! But they've both grown on me over the last few years so I tried it and it was great. I made a couple of changes; I didn't have fresh garlic so I used powdered and because of this I didn't bother with the oil because I had nothing to fry, so I just put all the sauce ingredients in the pan and cooked it together for 20 minutes. Next time I will make it properly!

Also, I think I might have used too much quinoa. I halved the recipe so I only needed 1 cup of cooked quinoa, but I had no idea how much I would need dried so I cooked half a cup dry, it looked like more than a cup but I didn't want to waste any leftovers so I just chucked it all in.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
j-dub wrote:

This is one of my favorite meals. But I thinki doubled the garlic and added more basil and cilantro. I also added mushrooms and artichoke hearts.

Yeah, I found it a little bland too, I added more basil, garlic, and some sun dried tomatoes. Those tomatoes really put it over the top.

That's now one of my favorite pasta and baked potato toppings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:38 am 
Tofu Pup

I've just ordered this, very excited!
Hopefully there will be more options for me. I am pretty good at keeping my main meals healthy (it's more my sugar/chocolate addiction that's a problem) and I think that the many cookbooks I have are just nok that useful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 am 

The Root Vegetable Red Lentil Dahl is FANTASTIC! But it ended up being far too watery so I added another 1.5 c of lentils. Still so very, very delicious.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Anyone make the chickpea gravy? I'm thinking of making a little thanksgiving-like spread this weekend (my family traditionally doesn't do thanksgiving food and I have been craving stuffing and mashed potatoes). Did you like it? In addition, any other AFR recipes you would recommend for thanksgiving themed meals? I want to put together a nice little dinner that's comforting and still healthy. I would love your suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

YES, make it! I love the chickpea gravy and find my self craving it sometimes.
Its hard to describe, its really savoury. Its really healthy and on mashed potatoes its just pure comfort food.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the mushrooms paprika, brussels sprouts, and scarlet barley for dinner last night. It was so good, especially the mushrooms! I guess I've never had barley before...mine came out pretty chewy and hard/ I was expecting more of a rice-like softness. Is this just how barley is, or did I mess up somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm 

I love the gravy on the sweet potato biscuits.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

pearTree wrote:
Anyone make the chickpea gravy? I'm thinking of making a little thanksgiving-like spread this weekend (my family traditionally doesn't do thanksgiving food and I have been craving stuffing and mashed potatoes). Did you like it? In addition, any other AFR recipes you would recommend for thanksgiving themed meals? I want to put together a nice little dinner that's comforting and still healthy. I would love your suggestions!

I'm going to make the Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples as part of my spread because it is delicious and goes with the theme. The Polenta Stuffing would be awesome and so would the Caulipots!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

couroupita wrote:
I made the mushrooms paprika, brussels sprouts, and scarlet barley for dinner last night. It was so good, especially the mushrooms! I guess I've never had barley before...mine came out pretty chewy and hard/ I was expecting more of a rice-like softness. Is this just how barley is, or did I mess up somewhere?

I would say barley is chewy but not hard. It's definitely chewy in a way that rice isn't, but it's soft also. Maybe you need to cook it longer?

Yum, I love barley!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Mmmm, just had some friends over for dinner - we made the veggie potpie stew and sweet potato biscuits, soooo good! We also had the cinnamon apple crisp from the PPK blog, seriously best comfort food-y dinner ever.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Just bought the eBook with a Kobo gift card I had. After reading through reviews as I was not sure whether I should get AFR or VWAV, I'm really excited about reading it now (ooooh, this is SO going to steel my working time today!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

j-dub wrote:
I love the gravy on the sweet potato biscuits.

the sweet potato biscuits seem to have bypassed my attention. Can't wait to make these with the chickpea gravy :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:35 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Do you think you could sub pumpkin puree for the sweet potato in the sweet potato biscuits, or would that not work/make them gross?

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Steph wrote:
Do you think you could sub pumpkin puree for the sweet potato in the sweet potato biscuits, or would that not work/make them gross?

It's a pretty similar texture, especially if you're buying canned. I'd say go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just made the biscuits with butternut squash and they taste pretty much the same as the ones with sweet potato (I made no changes to the recipe). I think it should be fine. Maybe a bit more agave for the pumpkin?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

j-dub wrote:
The Root Vegetable Red Lentil Dahl is FANTASTIC! But it ended up being far too watery so I added another 1.5 c of lentils. Still so very, very delicious.

I've had my eye on this but I thought the recipe seemed like it would be too watery for my taste. I think I'll try it (with less liquid/more lentils) this week!

I made the sushi salad for lunches this week, and it's great! I don't know what took me so long to try it. Definitely my favourite salad so far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the falafel tonight for dinner. OMG, amazing! and so easy!

loved that it was baked and not fried. the herbs and spices were right on, perfection the first time!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I had a cabbage in my fridge that needed to be used up so made the curried cabbage and peas. I am not a cabbage lover but that was delicious. Very cheap and easy too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Arisaig wrote:
I had a cabbage in my fridge that needed to be used up so made the curried cabbage and peas. I am not a cabbage lover but that was delicious. Very cheap and easy too.

Good idea, I have a head of cabbage I need to use in the next few days!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

almiratanner wrote:
I just made the biscuits with butternut squash and they taste pretty much the same as the ones with sweet potato (I made no changes to the recipe). I think it should be fine. Maybe a bit more agave for the pumpkin?

I've even made those biscuits with carrot puree and they've been great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I did make the curried cabbage and peas last night. It was good! easy, quick and very cheap.

That will go on my list of 'actual' 20-30 minute meals for weeknights (just add rice and some quick baked curry tofu)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have any secret tricks for the scallion potato pancakes?
i know the note on the recipe says they are fragile but i couldnt flatten them in the bread crumbs and then successfully flip them. i even tried gently using a spatula.
if i did anything other than roll the potato as a ball in the breading it would all fall apart. i had to roll them then flatten them on the cookie sheet.
if i added more oil would that help or would that make them fall apart more? more bread crumbs?

they came out super tasty i just had issues flattening them. i dont think they had gotten enough bread crumbs on them to make them nice and crisp.

i did what the suggestion at the beginning of the recipe said and made the mustard hoisin tofu and orange scented broccoli to go with it. what a yummy dinner. my husband and i devoured all of it which sadly meant no leftovers :-( (we do have some leftover pancakes but nothing else)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 122  Next