| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm a big sucker for the caesar chavez dressing, love the green goddess as well but the caesar chavez is impressive.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I had a bunch of broccoli in my fridge, and was torn between Mac n' Trees and 40-Clove Chickpeas & Broccoli.... so, I combined them for lunch today - and the dish was OUT of this world!

I added a tbsp of ketchup and a tsp of Frank's to the cheese sauce (for color and taste), and MAN was it amazing with the garlic and the roasted broccoli. The last few chickpeas, warm and toasted, have such a wonderful, rich flavor (chicken-esque, but without the nastiness).

<yum>

Last night, I made the Mango BBQ Beans to less-than-favorable reviews from my omni family. I agree they were a tad too sweet (I'd used frozen organic mango). So I would definitely go lower in the sweet and maybe a tad higher with the smoke and spice next time - and/or perhaps some maple syrup instead of agave.

Love reading all the recommendations on the threads! This book is newer for me, so I'm still catching up...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:01 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tofulish wrote:
Best AFR dressing?

Sanctuary, then Green Goddess

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

VeganVamp wrote:
I had a bunch of broccoli in my fridge, and was torn between Mac n' Trees and 40-Clove Chickpeas & Broccoli.... so, I combined them for lunch today - and the dish was OUT of this world!

Quoting myself because I'm AGAIN enjoying this 40-Clove Chickpeas & Broccoli + Mac n' Trees hybrid for lunch (3rd day straight!), and it's just *awesome*. Love the nuanced flavors from the lemon zest and oregano roasted with the broccoli, and the cheezy sauce really ties it all together.

Happy, happy tummy...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:18 am 
Inflexitarian

I cannot think how many times I have made the Curried Cabbage and Peas. It is now a standard here with slight variations in the curry powder I use & how much MORE fresh ginger & garlic I use.

The Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup often gets made ... very comforting on dull chilly days which just about covers UK weather this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Surprisingly, the Curried Cabbage and Peas and the Cabbage and Seitan are really high up there on my repeat recipes from this book. I say surprisingly because both are so simple and who really gets a hankering for cabbage, but these recipes never disappoint for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just bought this book and VCON for the third dang time. Need to stop loaning them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't see it get much attention but I made the Pasta de los Angeles last night and it was really good. I never believe that 8oz of pasta will make 4 portions but this one actually did, and it was perfect for the lovely weather we are having.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I cannot believe how much I could love a recipe book.

Yesterday I made the blackened broiled tofu. It was amazing. I served it with new potatoes, asparagus and a portobello and it was the best meal I've had since the last recipe I made from this!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Efcliz wrote:
I don't see it get much attention but I made the Pasta de los Angeles last night and it was really good. I never believe that 8oz of pasta will make 4 portions but this one actually did, and it was perfect for the lovely weather we are having.

I avoided this recipe because I have never liked the idea of pasta and beans together, but my parents made it once when I went home and it was wonderful! They swapped the fresh tomato for a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, so now I do that when I make it too. Also, that way you can make it even when tomatoes are out of season.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 am 
Shopped till she dropped

allularpunk wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I avoided this recipe because I have never liked the idea of pasta and beans together, but my parents made it once when I went home and it was wonderful! They swapped the fresh tomato for a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, so now I do that when I make it too. Also, that way you can make it even when tomatoes are out of season.

That's a great idea! I love fire roasted tomatoes, and that would make it more pantry friendly, mean less prep work and probably make it a little saucier. Now I know what I want for dinner.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:43 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:

I haven't felt drawn to that recipe, but now that you say you liked it I'm instantly curious to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

creep wrote:
Just bought this book and VCON for the third dang time. Need to stop loaning them out.

Ha ha, I'm hesitant to part with mine, for sure - but at least you are spreading some vegan love to the world, with your selfless generosity. =)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I tried two new recipes today and yesterday! First out was the quinoa black bean salad with toasted cumin seeds and it was really yummy! It didn't get me full though, which will make me eat it as a side next time. Today I made the romesco dressing and it was lovely and so easy! I fried some tempeh and onions and mixed into it which was AWESOME! Making it again asap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've made the pasta de los angeles a billion times! Only once with canned tomatoes (15 oz). I prefer it with the fresh. I think it was actually saucier using fresh than canned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the masala baked tofu again a few days ago. My dad decided to have a bbq so I baked it til almost done then finished it off outside on the grill. Yum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:29 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've loved everything I've made from this book, but last night I made the red wine and kalamata tempeh and I wasn't a fan. I like red wine, I like olives, and I like tempeh, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:14 am 
Nailed to the V

creep wrote:

LOL at this point, you should just start buying them for other people.

i brought this book back from home. I've been taking it from the library for.ev.er and the minute I got to my parents (first time in two years), I was like WHERE IS AFR.

so now i have to figure out what to make that's not chickpea picatta as i make that like all the time. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That includes buying them as gifts! This is only the second time I've bought them for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
I've loved everything I've made from this book, but last night I made the red wine and kalamata tempeh and I wasn't a fan. I like red wine, I like olives, and I like tempeh, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

I had the same problem. I don't know why I disliked it so much.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, there are only a couple of things I haven't made again since testing and that's one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That combination just didn't sound very good to me, so I never even made it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yesterday I made the thai basil green beans and I took Isa's suggestion for bulking it up and dry fried some tofu to add. It was so good! Every time I make a great recipe from this book I think to myself, why didn't I make this sooner? This dish is definitely going to get made more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

allularpunk wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I had the same problem. I don't know why I disliked it so much.

well damn. I was planning on making this one this week. Maybe I'll pick one of the many other as-of-yet-untried recipes instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

pearTree wrote:
Yesterday I made the thai basil green beans and I took Isa's suggestion for bulking it up and dry fried some tofu to add. It was so good! Every time I make a great recipe from this book I think to myself, why didn't I make this sooner? This dish is definitely going to get made more often.

That green bean recipe is one of my absolute favorite recipes EVER and made me like green beans. I can't wait til our farmers market opens and I can make it all summer! I'm even growing Thai basil again, specifically for that recipe.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 122  Next