| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

beans with red velet mole sauce, and sweet potatoes and apples. wow. this is awesome. :)
someone told me that as a vegan i couldn't lose weight. Challenge, accepted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

daisysunshine wrote:
beans with red velet mole sauce, and sweet potatoes and apples. wow. this is awesome. :)
someone told me that as a vegan i couldn't lose weight. Challenge, accepted.

Holy mole (Sorry, bad pun alert)! I made the mole too! I didn't do the sweet potato and apple dish Isa suggests with it, but man was the mole good! We ate it in wraps with quinoa and homemade pickled jalapenos. Sooo good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:46 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Curry Laksa for dinners this week. I broiled the tofu first and added some sauteed broccoli and a little sriracha. So yummy and filling!

Now I need to make that mole!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:05 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I mentioned this in another thread, but I just got this book for my birthday and I'm so excited! I added it to my Amazon wish list because it always seems to be recommended on here for new vegans (I'm pescetarian but trying to cut out the dairy/eggs/fish) but I hadn't ever flipped through it. I sat down and read it the whole way through and almost everything looks amazing. I made a weeks menu of dinners from the book and it was so hard to decide which ones to use. Tonight I made the chickpea piccata and caulipots and it was super, super tasty. I'm actually excited it is about to be September because there are so many great sounding fall dishes in here and now I can feel like I don't have to wait to eat them!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:02 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Bagelyo wrote:
I mentioned this in another thread, but I just got this book for my birthday and I'm so excited! I added it to my Amazon wish list because it always seems to be recommended on here for new vegans (I'm pescetarian but trying to cut out the dairy/eggs/fish) but I hadn't ever flipped through it. I sat down and read it the whole way through and almost everything looks amazing. I made a weeks menu of dinners from the book and it was so hard to decide which ones to use. Tonight I made the chickpea piccata and caulipots and it was super, super tasty. I'm actually excited it is about to be September because there are so many great sounding fall dishes in here and now I can feel like I don't have to wait to eat them!

Bagelyo, you're going to love this book! When fall rolls around, I start making lots of stews: Smoky Tempeh and Greens, Veggie Potpie Stew, *Chipotle Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts* (omg my fav)! 2nd Ave Vegetable Korma...yum. Oh, and the soups! The lasagne is great, too. And the salad dressings are just spectacular. Yeah, this is my favorite book. I just love it because every recipe is stuffed with veggies. Hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

erynne936 wrote:
I am currently eating leftovers of Caribbean black eyed pea & plantain curry - delicious! THough I think I would double the beans and maybe reduce the plantains and/or add the sweet potato Isa suggests as an option.

What bean do you think would make a good sub in this? I'm not a fan of black eyed peas, and while I normally would use chickpeas I'm not sure for this...kidney beans, maybe? Or the miraculous whatever-bean-got-soaked-and-cooked-this-week? :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I made the Goddess Nicose tonight; that dressing is so good! Big hit with an omni friend too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I used the tortilla soup as a template and changed around a few things, and it's probably one of my favorite things I've ever made. Subbed rehydrated soy curls for pinto beans, fresh cherry tomatoes for the canned tomatoes, and leftover grilled corn on the cob instead of the frozen corn kernals. Also added a little extra broth to compensate. It was SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:54 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Question about the Sanctuary dressing - I've been looking for broth powder for a couple days (thought I still had some in the cabinet), and I can't find it. I've tried a bunch of Whole Foods and other health food markets. Is there ANYTHING at all that I can sub? I have all the ingredients for the Chef Salad, but this broth powder is elusive. I know I can probably order it online, but I'm too lazy to figure out what to do with everything else. Side note (but related) - can the baked tofu be frozen? Thank you guys!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Made the summer lovin' curried corn & veggie chowder with THAI GREEN CURRY paste and it is SO AMAZING! YUM!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the eggplant provencal and it was okay, but I don't know if I'd make it again. Which is weird because the ingredients make it sound like something I'd love. I love olives, but I think maybe I didn't like the texture of the olives in the finished dish.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 am 
WELFARIST!

cestlavegan wrote:
Question about the Sanctuary dressing - I've been looking for broth powder for a couple days (thought I still had some in the cabinet), and I can't find it. I've tried a bunch of Whole Foods and other health food markets. Is there ANYTHING at all that I can sub? I have all the ingredients for the Chef Salad, but this broth powder is elusive. I know I can probably order it online, but I'm too lazy to figure out what to do with everything else. Side note (but related) - can the baked tofu be frozen? Thank you guys!

I would probably just smush up a bouillon cube to equal/approximate the amount of powder or a splash of liquid veg bouillon to approximate the powdered veg broth measure. I don't have the book in front of me but I don't always have broth powder and when that happens, I just smush up the corner of a bouillon cube. There's also that paste veg bouillon you keep in the fridge "Better than Bouillon"--that's my fave. You can usually find this stuff in the spices or soup section.

ETA: I would say probably yes on the baked tofu because I've frozen tofu in stews, etc. and that's been fine but not--slabs of baked tofu alone, if that's what you mean.

Last edited by seitanicverses on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:36 am 
WELFARIST!

So I was at Lush last weekend and the salesgirl was gushing about this book (I was wearing my Teal Cat shirt and she recognized it, saying she used AFR all the time and it's her favorite cookbook and she's on the PPK blog for recipes frequently--her Mom is too, I think she said). Anyway, she loves this book! I told her I tested for it and Isa has a new book coming out and she was excited about that. So, just a random fan story there for Isa!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
Chip Strong

I just ordered AFR! I'm so excited - I've been coveting this book for ages. I've ordered it along with Vegan For Her for the free shipping. Really Happy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Would anyone be able to PM the recipe for the classic black bean and veggie chili? I want to make it this week but I CAN'T find my copy of AFR anywhere :(. It must have gotten misplaced in my recent move. I'm going to keep looking!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 am 
***LIES!!!***

cestlavegan wrote:

My favorites for broth powder/paste are better than boullion (paste), seitanbacher (powder), and Osem consommé powder (if you are okay with MSG, you can find this in the kosher section of a regular supermarket, and it tastes amazing).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

GaietyGirl wrote:
erynne936 wrote:
I am currently eating leftovers of Caribbean black eyed pea & plantain curry - delicious! THough I think I would double the beans and maybe reduce the plantains and/or add the sweet potato Isa suggests as an option.

What bean do you think would make a good sub in this? I'm not a fan of black eyed peas, and while I normally would use chickpeas I'm not sure for this...kidney beans, maybe? Or the miraculous whatever-bean-got-soaked-and-cooked-this-week? :)

I would probably use kidney beans in lieu of black eyed peas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

emmalv wrote:

I would probably use kidney beans in lieu of black eyed peas.

Rocking. Will give that a go. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:57 pm 

Made the Classic Black Bean and Veggie Chili, only I adapted it to be done in my slow cooker. It's perfect. The veggies, which I sauteed in my cast iron skillet before throwing them in the broth, weren't mushy as I feared they'd be, and by throwing the black beans in just an hour before the chili was done, they were the right texture, too. Awesome, filling dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made that chili recently, too! I made the scallion cornbread to go with it, and have been cubing up the cornbread and baking it to make crunchy little cornbread croutons.

I accidentally doubled the amount of scallions that I put in the cornbread and halved the salt - next time I'll definitely put all the salt required in because it's just a smidge bland. The extra scallions are great though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm 

Cornbread croutons are genius! Seriously, why haven't I thought of that??

My chili, sadly, is all gone, but tonight I replaced it with the Moroccan Chickpeas and Zucchini. Now I'm wondering if I can somehow justify making cornbread for that....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:11 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I just made the veggie pot pie stew for the first time along with the sweet potato drop biscuits. Amazing! My husband loved the stew. He liked the biscuits but he thought they didn't really go with the stew. I thought they were fantastic together. I can't believe I haven't made these before!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:17 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I think the Chipotle Lentil Burger is my new favorite veggie burger. If you love cilantro and/or smoky flavor, this is the veggie burger for you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:24 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I make the Thai green beans often, at the request of my omni fiancé. Lately, I have neem adding some sautéed tempeh to it, to make it a full meal.

He told me the other day that this is his FAVORITE meal (besides risotto haha) and to let the cookbook author know if possible.

So Isa, there you go. Favorite dish from an omni. He loves it with tempeh.

(And his favorite risotto is the one from VWAV too).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ambular_ wrote:
Made the summer lovin' curried corn & veggie chowder with THAI GREEN CURRY paste and it is SO AMAZING! YUM!

I made with red Thai curry paste and it was steller! I don't think I can ever make it Indian curry flavor because the Thai was so good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 122  Next