| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:58 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Mango BBQ beans, mmmm. I've made them a couple times now. I usually add a couple teaspoons of molasses for a more barbecue-y flavor. And I use frozen mango, works perfectly. We usually end up devouring the whole six serving just the two of us...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the quinoa kale and white bean stew last night. I thought it was okay, but my husband loved it! And he usually doesn't eat things with kale.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lobsteriffic wrote:
I made the quinoa kale and white bean stew last night. I thought it was okay, but my husband loved it! And he usually doesn't eat things with kale.

I love this recipe, it's so easy & healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:48 pm 
Ninja Master

lobsteriffic wrote:

I love it too and I'm not a kale fan!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Why have I not been using AFR lately? Last year I was obsessed with this and now I haven't made anything from it in months. What the heck? I just remembered the fourty-clove chickpea and broccoli and how amazing it is. I'm going to make it tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

So I tried a new to me recipe from the book tonight, Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew. I subbed sweet potatoes for the butternut and used 1.5 cups of homecooked kidney beans. So good. Makes a lot too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I love that jamba stew! I usually use sweet potatoes instead of butternut as well.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I made the hoisin tofu lettuce cups last night (so quick and so yums!), and tonight I am going to make the cauliflower lasagna. I've been making lots of soups and stews and curries, and thought it was about time to mix it up a bit. Yum!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

On so many suggestions here, last night I made the Forty Clove Garlic & Broccoli over quinoa with Easy Cheesy Sauce. Oh my, what a bowl! And so easy too (almost my favorite part).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Arabian lentil and rice soup, but we doubled the lemon zest and lemon juice. HEAVENLY.

We used this same soup as a "sambhar" of sorts to serve with South Indian idli and medhu vada. Perfect fusion dish!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I got this book in December and so far it's had plenty of use! This weekend I've made Arabian lentil and rice soup and hottie black eyed beans with the sweet potato and ginger mash - huge successes. I've also made the red Thai tofu, falafel and the butternut jamba stew. They've all been super delicious. I've got a lengthy list of recipes I want to try as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I cooked the Carribean Curried Black-Eyed Peas with Plantains yesterday, with unripe plantains. Not recommended. It never crossed my mind that they wouldn't be ripe when they looked like ripe bananas! The curried beans were great though. I'll definitely double the recipe next time, there were no leftovers. We had them with brown rice, but I think some greens would be great too. Now that my supermarket actually has kale, I'm gonna try it next time with very ripe plantains and some garlicky kale.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:11 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Made Curried Chickpeas and Greens with some tinkering: only 1 lb of baby kale, added 1 lb of steamed cauliflower and used an entire 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. Saucy, delicious, and soooo satisfying.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:09 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Made the eggplant bacon for the first time last night (I've only just bought my first bottle of liquid smoke!) and it's super. I let them cool and had it with a giant salad and some piccalilli coleslaw. Nam nam nam.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My copy of AFR was sitting on the bookshelf gathering dust until I borrowed Isa Does It from the library. I cooked up a 'storm' this weekend and was disappointed with each one as I tasted it after cooking. I reheated all three for lunch today and they were great. The flavors had blended and intensified and I didn't miss the extra oil at all. My menu consisted of Sautéed Kasha & Mushrooms with Dill, Veggie Potpie Stew and Caulipots with Garlic. I also made the Chicky Tuna Salad from IDI which I love, love love!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I posted before I finished my thoughts. I've used a recipe for garlic mashed potatoes that's meant to be made in a pressure cooker with whol cloves of garlic. I put the Caulipots ingredients plus garlic cloves in the pressure cooker and followed that timing and somehow the result is just as potatoey but fluffier.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sounds interesting Sutra, is this a recipe you can link to?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Nicole wrote:

I just checked Lorna Sass's blog and it's not there. I took the timing from one of her books and the recipe from AFR so I should be able to post tomorrow after checking my notes.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Nicole wrote:

Here's what I did to make the Caulipots in the pressure cooker. I used the steamer 'tray' that came with my pressure cooker to hold the vegetables above the broth. I used a cup of broth because you can't cook in a PC with too little water, at least not mine. I left the potatoes and cauliflower chunkier than the recipe calls for. Then, inspired by the variations in AFR I added 4 large peeled garlic cloves. I cooked this at high pressure for 6 minutes and then let the pressure come down naturally.

Garlic cooked in the PC like this comes out very mellow so more is needed than with sautéing. After I started cooking I realized that the cauliflower would be cooking for a lot longer than usual. I think that helped with this recipe because it was very creamy when I mashed it with the potatoes and garlic and some of the broth. I forgot to add oil and it wasn't missed!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:47 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Rediscovering my love for this cookbook!

Last night I made Mac & Trees with Buffalo Tempeh. I also prepped the Pad Thai Salad for lunch with some store-bought baked tofu. The dressing is amazing!

Later this week I plan to make Chickpea Piccata and Caulipots for the first time!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the eggplant & lentil chile mole. Holy wow. I was afraid for some reason but I absolutely love it. The eggplant gives it such a great texture and the flavors are wonderful. With a dab of cashew sour cream it is perfect!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:07 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Just ordered this book used from Amazon. I only paid $9 including shipping. Can't wait to add it to my growing Vegan cookbook collection.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

quietkaos wrote:
Just ordered this book used from Amazon. I only paid $9 including shipping. Can't wait to add it to my growing Vegan cookbook collection.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! It's my second favourite cookbook after Isa does it, I just wish it had more photos!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the red wine kalamata tempeh the other night and it was really good. I don't usually like tempeh so it was a pleasant surprise. Marinating it overnight really did wonders. I'm still dreaming about it.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

_afrofunk wrote:
I made the red wine kalamata tempeh the other night and it was really good. I don't usually like tempeh so it was a pleasant surprise. Marinating it overnight really did wonders. I'm still dreaming about it.

This has been my go to entertaining dish for awhile now. I serve it with roast potatoes, a green cooked veggie, and Caesar salad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next