| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That was one of the very few things I didn't like from testing (probably the only thing). Definitely my fault. Every 6 months or so I try olives to see if I still hate them. Yep, always do. It was a very pretty dish though.

Today at the grocery store I saw little packs of kalamata olives packaged like the individual apple sauce containers. $3.50 for 6 and expiry of 2015. Next time I get the olive itch, I'll get those. Cheaper than the olive bar and it should last me an entire year of olive hate testing.

It strikes me as bizarre that I want to like something I hate. If I hate it, why do I care?

We made the baked tofu again. Technically, we make it up to put in salads. In practice, we eat it cold out of the fridge when passing by. I think we would need to start making triple batches in order for it to make it into salads or sandwiches. The texture is just great. I give Molly tiny crumbles of it as a treat too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lavawitch, keep trying olives!! I used to hate them too, but I "hate-tested" them for years and eventually learned to love them. They're one of my routine food cravings now, in fact. This has happened to me with a few different foods actually. I recently conquered grapefruit, for instance. It makes me feel so accomplished!

Sorry for the tangent, I just wanted to root for team olive. :P To make this on-topic I should mention that I recently made the Caribbean Curried Black-eyed Peas & Plantains for a dinner party and it was a huge hit - especially the plantains, which everyone agreed they actually liked better than fried plantains. I think I want to experiment with adding them to other dishes, actually... maybe Thai or Indian curries?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The Caribbean curried black eyed pea and plaintain dish is a such a winner. Everyone who has had it just loves it, and I could pbly eat it at least every week and be content.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:55 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Hey, that's encouraging. Isa has so many yummy looking olive dishes that I get sad I won't like them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:55 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

lavawitch wrote:
It strikes me as bizarre that I want to like something I hate. If I hate it, why do I care?

Because you want all of the food to be as amazing and delicious as other people say it is? That's my reason! I love olives, but there are definitely other foods I do this with. (Beets, I'm looking at you.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

corduroy wrote:
I recently made the Caribbean Curried Black-eyed Peas & Plantains for a dinner party and it was a huge hit - especially the plantains, which everyone agreed they actually liked better than fried plantains. I think I want to experiment with adding them to other dishes, actually... maybe Thai or Indian curries?

I loved the steamed plantains in that dish! I wish I knew more recipes that call for them...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Zeal vie, have you tried the beet burgers? I'm not a huge beet fan, but those are pretty delicious. I'm also ok with the love beets redipaks for salads.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:36 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I haven't yet, but I plan to. I know that even if I hate them, I can pass them on to my beet-loving mom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Ariann wrote:
_afrofunk wrote:
I made the red wine kalamata tempeh the other night and it was really good. I don't usually like tempeh so it was a pleasant surprise. Marinating it overnight really did wonders. I'm still dreaming about it.

This has been my go to entertaining dish for awhile now. I serve it with roast potatoes, a green cooked veggie, and Caesar salad.

That's exactly how I ate it, minus the salad. I second the call for giving olives another try, I really like nicoise. Every beet burger recipe I tried I've been underwhelmed by, which hurts me because I'm obsessed with beets, but I'll put it on my list. I probably won't make it until fall-ish because I want to eat as seasonally as possible.

corduroy I grew up with plantains so I eat them with everything, especially tomato based stews and curries. I'm thinking I will do it maybe with the spinach/potato curry, just sans cumin. It's similar to a dish I had as a child. I'll report back on how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 am 
Nailed to the V

I've been making the black bean chilli (well, variations of) at least twice a week for the past couple of months. It's so easy, tasty and filling. In fact I think I can add it to my soul dishes now :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:20 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the nicoise salad with the creamy balsamic dressing. It was perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

That salad looks great!

I made the Ginger Bok Choy & Soba for the first time the other day. It was so simple and delicious. I couldn't resist adding a bit of hoisin to my bowl, plus dried oyster mushrooms & peanuts on top.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the tofu chimichurri yesterday, it saved my life! I was starving and I happened to have the ingredients in my fridge. So good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Made the baked falafel for the first time in a loooooong time last night. As always they were awesome, but kinda crumbly. I think they need a lot mor oil to stick.

Whatevs, they were great as usual. Omni partner said "yummy Chicki! Make these more often"

We had them in pitas with hummus, quick taziki (sour cream, shredded cucumber, fresh garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper) and veggies.

He even ate the extra falafel when the pita was gone :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rosie wrote:
I've been making the black bean chilli (well, variations of) at least twice a week for the past couple of months. It's so easy, tasty and filling. In fact I think I can add it to my soul dishes now :)

That was my number 1 recipe ever out of everything ever. Then a few weeks ago I was sick a few hours after eating it thanks to a sudden appearance of an infection. I don't think I will ever be able to eat it again now. Not for at least a year!

I finally made the lasagna today. Strangely, for the first time I didn't mind the olives. I actually liked them. Usually I give them a go and end up picking them out and cursing myself for thinking I would be able to tolerate them. I think the lasagna will have to be made a few more times this year. I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:59 am 
Nailed to the V

daisychain wrote:
Rosie wrote:

That was my number 1 recipe ever out of everything ever. Then a few weeks ago I was sick a few hours after eating it thanks to a sudden appearance of an infection. I don't think I will ever be able to eat it again now. Not for at least a year!

That sucks! I was sick for days once after eating pack of frazzles as a child and I still heave if I ever smell anything that's made with artificial bacon so I totally get what you mean.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It took me only 5 months to get over getting sick after the arabian lentil soup last summer so hopefully it will be the same for the chilli. I couldn't handle being off it for longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Spinach Linguine with Edamame Pesto last night. How incredibly easy & delicious! I'm not a huge edamame fan, so I was pretty pleased that I liked this so much. One of my favorite things is how little oil is used in the pesto.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 am 
BAD PASS

I need to get back to cooking more from AFR. The recipes in Isa Does It I've been making so frequently are so very awesome, but some are kind of more decadent than what I and my body are used to. I brought it to work today to find something good to cook tonight.

Edamame pesto is sounding pret-ty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

anardana wrote:
I made the nicoise salad with the creamy balsamic dressing. It was perfect.

Yum, I love that Nicoise!

I came to trumpet my love for the grilled tofu rice vermicelli salad with peanut lime gremolata. One of my favorite things! I make five servings of it (as opposed to six as in the book) just because I like portions of vermicelli salads pretty big because I love them so much and they're not overly filling.

Also, I noticed on the page beside a pear and couscous Catalan (I think?) salad with almonds and Romescu dressing that sounds unique and maybe I should try soon though I'm not too big on couscous in general overall...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

seitanicverses wrote:
Also, I noticed on the page beside a pear and couscous Catalan (I think?) salad with almonds and Romescu dressing that sounds unique and maybe I should try soon though I'm not too big on couscous in general overall...

Use quinoa, or another grain? Even rice. Rice salad, I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:32 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Lotsa Veggies Lentil Soup on the stove. This is a repeat recipe for me. You may be thinking, do I really need another veggie lentil soup recipe? Yes, you totally do. It is an easy way to pack lots of nutrition into one meal (and to use up that kale in the fridge that is kind of sad and wilty).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:46 am 
BAD PASS

I made the Sushi Roll Edamame Salad last night. It really does taste just like a veggie roll. Magical. (I made a mistake when shopping and didn't pick up any green onions. I'd forgotten that I'd "harvested" my window green onions over the weekend for a stirfry, so I didn't have any. I used the miso/tahini/garlic dressing from the Roasty Soba Bowl in Isa Does It instead of the dressing in the recipe -- turned out good anyway!)

I was going to also make the Summer Lovin' Corn Chowder, but I was too hungry/tired so I just had the salad with toast. I have all the ingredients, though, so ...maybe tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

That corn chowder is amazeballs, so definitely give it a go! I've never tried the sushi salad because I'm afraid it will taste too fishy. I do love sushi rolls though, so I should probably try it out.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:33 am 
BAD PASS

YES. The corn chowder IS amazeballs, AP. I had leftovers last night over mashed potatoes and it made all my dreams come true.

You could probably half or leave out the nori to make the sushi salad less fishy-tasting, maybe.

On Saturday I made the Red Lentil Dal with Root Vegetables. I hope I never have to peel a rutabaga ever again, but the recipe turned out really good. I had some for breakfast today with basmati rice. It's kinda breakfasty, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next