| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Protein Ninja
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:21 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Terry's newest cookbook is three weeks away from being published and a full description has now been posted on Amazon:

Quote:
I wanted protein recipes other than that mashing a vanilla-flavored powder with almond butter and flax seeds and calling it a day. I wanted something that really made me feel as if I was cooking. And yes, even good old-fashioned baking! Adding pure, unflavored, but wholesome plant-based protein powders to recipes brings out my inner foodie alchemist. I heard the call of the protein ninja.

Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or eat-everything-you-can-get-your-hands-on, a weeknight home chef, everyday athlete, or just a busy person looking wholesome, protein-rich snacks and meals, you deserve something better than another chia seed ball or protein shake for dinner. Award-winning vegan chef Terry Hope Romero leads the charge with 100 lean, mean recipes using a wide range of readily available ingredients—from supermarket-friendly staples to cutting-edge superfoods and an arsenal of gluten- and soy-free options. With an everything-you-need-to-know rundown on plant-based protein sources, and chapters like Stealthy Protein Pancakes, Waffles, Scrambles, & Much Much More, Super Toast: Savory or Sweet, and Better than Ever Burger Bowls, you’ll soon be sneaking plant-based protein into your breakfasts, dinners, and everything in between.

Dig into:
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Bowl
Golden Corn Hemp Protein Waffles
Baked Veggie Pan Omelet
Edamame Spelt Flatbreads
Garam Masala Red Lentil Toast
Cheezy Herb Kale Scones
Green Goddess Burger & Roasted Potatoes Bowl
Tomato Gravy & Biscuit Kale Bowl
Korean Tofu Taco Salad
Lemongrass Tempeh Meatballs with Peanut Satay Sauce
Waffled Tofu, Waffles & Collards Bowl
Black Bean Hemp Brownies
Peanut Butter Coconut Cherry Chewies
…and many more!

Has anyone here tested for this one? Which were your favorite recipes?

Post subject: Re: Protein Ninja
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

soooo excited! I've got mine pre-ordered, and I can't wait. Especially to see Bowls on the list!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:44 am 
Nailed to the V

Funny, I pre-ordered it yesterday too. Always love me a Terry book!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:58 am 
Inflexitarian

I pre-ordered as well back in November. I'm psyched about those Cheezy Herb Kale Scones!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16 am 
WRETCHED

I also saw from her FB that she has been lifting too :) I am looking forward to it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just preordered it. It sounds very promising! Did Terry say whether there was going to be any nutritional information?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Pre ordering today!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:01 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

There is a google books preview!!! I am beyond excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://books.google.at/books?id=mvvcCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA6&dq=protein+ninja&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid_Yipk8rKAhXESA8KHV9tDqwQuwUIMDAA#v=onepage&q=protein%20ninja&f=false

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Seems to rely heavily on protein powders :( ; I was hoping the protein aspect of the book would be based on whole foods and not on processed products.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:44 pm 
Cranky

I'm a little sad that Terry's cookbooks are veering off in directions that don't interest me, but I wish her crazy success with Protein Ninja!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

R2D2 wrote:
Seems to rely heavily on protein powders :( ; I was hoping the protein aspect of the book would be based on whole foods and not on processed products.

That's disappointing, I assumed it was whole foods based as well. Probably not the book for me but I will be interested to see the reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

Are you judging the protein powder usage on the few pages of breakfast recipes? It makes sense they would have powders since they are basically smoothies in a bowl. I've pre-ordered this book and cannot wait. Amazon says it's shipping early too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:49 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Hmmm, I'm not a big protein powder fan, but it does look like she's just using natural non-flavored ones like hemp protein powder. Also, I like that the pages are white with black text this time. So much easier to read than Salad Sam.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I might get this. My nutritionist wants to start eating a higher protein diet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ahhh so much love of google preview! As someone who spends a LOT of time in the gym, pea protein powder is already a regular on my shelf, and I'm pretty excited to potentially replace some of my drinking it with snacks. I do only have chocolate flavor right now (I tried the unflavored briefly, and it was basically undrinkable) but that just means I'll start with chocolatey recipes.

I'm wondering if grinding up hemp seeds might replace hemp protein powder...probably not. Anyone got thoughts on that?

I know what my shopping list is now anyway...so I can be stocked up before my copy arrives!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

update --- Just ordered unflavored hemp and rice protein powder and Matcha. In addition to the chocolate pea protein powder I already have, I feel like I'm ready to play :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:38 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Alin wrote:
Are you judging the protein powder usage on the few pages of breakfast recipes? It makes sense they would have powders since they are basically smoothies in a bowl. I've pre-ordered this book and cannot wait. Amazon says it's shipping early too!

Not only from the breakfast recipes Alin. In the introduction she has 1 or 2 pages dedicated to explain the different protein powders and even mentions something on the lines that "not all recipes in this book use protein powder but a lot of them sure do!" At the moment I wrote that comment I was actually cooking something from Salad Samurai so don't get me wrong, I really like the author! I will wait to see what the reviews say about the other recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:31 am 

I am also not a fan of protein powders but will give them a shot. (I even talked my brother out of using them, haha!) I will compensate the excess protein intake by eating carbs with carbs for my other meals :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I haven't investigated but I'm sure we don't have the same range of vegan protein powder in the UK. I'm not averse to the idea of them but if most of the recipes use them I will be sending this one back for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Efcliz wrote:
I haven't investigated but I'm sure we don't have the same range of vegan protein powder in the UK. I'm not averse to the idea of them but if most of the recipes use them I will be sending this one back for sure.

I just ordered mine from iherb.com . If you're interested in trying them out, you can give that a try...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks. I'm just not sure why I need them. I'm still interested in this book but I've cancelled my preorder until I know more about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Dr. Apricot wrote:
I'm a little sad that Terry's cookbooks are veering off in directions that don't interest me, but I wish her crazy success with Protein Ninja!

Me too, exactly!

I am still getting Protein Ninja because I have a lot of faith in Terry's recipes but I'm not really a person whose body or lifestyle require excess protein. I'm sure a lot of the recipes with powder are fine without it though (if not better?).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:44 am 

I am actually very fond of the idea to put some protein into baked goods like biscuits and scones. I love biscuits and scones so much and would definitely have them for breakfast more often if I would not have to bother with preparing a protein-loaded side to start my days nutritionally balanced. Tofu scrambling AND baking biscuits is a little too time-consuming for a weekday-breakfast in my books.

Also VWG and plant protein powders don't seem really that far off nutritionally...?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Hmm mm. ..I didn't realize that this book was heavy on the powders either. I'm not sure what to think about that.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Why is this book $13 on amazon.com and $26 on amazon.ca? I mean, I guess I know the answer--the tanked CAD$, but damn, twice as expensive?!

ETA: Obvs I am just complaining about Amazon, not the publishers or anyone else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next