| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yellow Rose Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am 
WELFARIST!

momservo wrote:
joanna wrote:
momservo wrote:
I bought YRR when I had really bad morning sickness about 2 years ago and I now associate it with being nauseous. I am sure there are a ton of amazing recipes in it but I can't bring myself to open it!

i WROTE yrr when i had really bad morning sickness, and haven't made some of the recipes since i was pregnant because i associate them with that, too. so don't feel bad.

Wow. I can't imagine writing a cookbook while suffering from morning sickness. I am beyond impressed.

I have this weird association with a recipe too, where I made these cookies (actually, not a recipe from YRR) but anyway, I made the cookies during this period last spring where I had this really sore finger and as much as I love the cookies, I always associate them with that pain and to this day, it's hard for me to make them because of that. Weird.

Yum, I love YRR! I've been thinking of the quinoa tabbouleh lately. Must make again. And the tofu marsala, which I haven't tried yet. I bought a bottle of cooking marsala eons ago with the intent of trying it and I still need to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I ordered the cookbook from her etsy store last night... it was the last copy (of the unsigned ones... ) I can't wait to get it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm so excited for it to actually arrive. It mailed out the 27th and I'm dying to check out some of the recipes mentioned in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 pm 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

Ordered another copy. We'll just call it the backup copy. I really love this book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:19 pm 
ugh

Can anybody recommend a Marsala wine brand that is vegan? I want to make the tofu marsala! I made a separate thread for this but haven't gotten much of a response: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1734

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The Goddess Pasta Salad is fantastic. I also like the Sloppy Joanna's and I always make the Vegan Parm and kept a stash of it in the fridge. Other favorites are the Taco Salad and the Spinach Lasagna.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:08 am 
Dead by dawn

Joanna's mac & cheese is my favorite. It was good with fyh, but it's awesome with daiya.

I use the cajun spice blend on popcorn (with nooch, of course.) Yums.

I haven't made nearly enough out of this book, but everything I've tried has been good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was looking back through my old blog posts yesterday, and I can't believe I forgot to say that her chicken-style seitan recipe is one of my favourites ever. And the mustard-crusted seitan is freaking amazing! I think eventually made the beer-battered seitan and loved it too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

One of the recipes I use the most that no one has mentioned is the Mango Salsa. I always do the avocado variation and use a carefully seeded/demembraned habanero instead of the jalapeno, but otherwise I follow it to the letter. I've made it so much I have the recipe memorized. I bring it to parties and people devour it.

Chris loves the hell out of the Black Bean Soup and the Goddess Pasta.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finally just ordered this, I'm calling it my birthday present. Yesterday somehow I stumbled across her blog post (from like September) warning they were nearly gone and figured I needed to get into gear since I don't think I've every read anything even slightly negative about this book.

From flipping through this post, I'm guessing the Mustard Seitan is first on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My copy finally arrived! Boyfriend has decided that this is his favourite of all of my cookbooks, and I haven't even made anything from it yet. But mustard-crusted seitan and sloppy Joannas are on the menu for next week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

b.vicious wrote:
QueenV wrote:
andi_vert wrote:
Should I get this cookbook then?

Yes, especially as there's not many left.

Reading this, I decided to look on Amazon to see if there were enough used copies that I could wait a bit before buying. There are only two, and they are going for $200!!! I guess I better hurry up and buy one (NOT from Amazon), jeebus.

ETA: I just ordered two copies (one for the emergency gift reserve)!

I used to sell books on ebay for charity and there are companies that put up copies if nobody else has, and charge whatever the hell they want. That'll probably explain the $200 copies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

hi dudes!

thank you for all the really nice things you've said about the book in this thread and on your blogs.

i was just downstairs and counted and there are only ~100 copies left, and i know i wouldn't have sold 150 copies in 2 months without the kind words in this thread, so THANK YOU!

just a heads up (i will be announcing this on my blog, too) that i am only guaranteeing holiday delivery for orders made by december 10. (december 1 for international orders.) (those dates are based on the deadlines of the USPS, not on my own timeline.)

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just ordered mine this past weekend. I am so excited to get it and try all these yummy recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I really want to order this but not sure if I can cough up the money for shipping to Canada :(. I probably will splurge and do it...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 pm 

Omg...I love this cookbook! Someone please stop me from making the mac n' cheese...I have made it the last several nights and I can't stop eating it...even my husband who still likes real cheese said he would rather eat this than m&c with dairy cheese!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:35 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I just ordered this book, even though the shipping costs more than the book itself. I'm sure it's worth it though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I obviosly missed somthing, so can someone kindly catch me up? Why is the book going out of print? I love this book! I always recommend it to people who want to try vegan cooking for the first time.

The tamale pie is requested often among my friends. I puffy heart the marsala too. So many yummies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:50 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Erinnerung wrote:
My copy finally arrived! Boyfriend has decided that this is his favourite of all of my cookbooks, and I haven't even made anything from it yet. But mustard-crusted seitan and sloppy Joannas are on the menu for next week.

Hello! I am the aforementioned boyfriend.

So far, Erin has made the Sloppy Joanna's and the Mustard Seitan from this book. I have absolutely loved both of them.

Last night was my night to cook. I am pretty much a terrible cook at the best of times, so I was worried about picking a recipe from YRR and ruining it. However, I decided on the Thai Bowl dish.

I'm happy to report that it was quite tasty! I kinda ruined the noodles a little bit however by cooking too many, and then when I put them back in the pot to add the sauce, a bunch of them stuck to the pot instantly... annoying! However, that's just because of the noodles.

The recipe was delicious, and easy enough for an absolute novice chef like me to follow!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:43 am 

hi friends!

use the coupon code HOLIDAY between now and monday to receive 10% off orders.

happy thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

this is probably my favorite vegan cookbook. love the sloppy joannas and vegan parm. I also love the taco salad recipe. I haven't tried any of the seitan recipies but I guess now I should. I'm sad it's going out of print I always reccomend this book to everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:25 am 
Saggy Butt

I've seen this while trawling etsy and inititally discarded it when I factored in postage. But from all the good reviews I may have to rethink my budget and buy myself a copy after all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Veg-in-Training wrote:
I obviosly missed somthing, so can someone kindly catch me up? Why is the book going out of print? I love this book! I always recommend it to people who want to try vegan cooking for the first time.

I agree! Sadly Joanna has posted that the book isn't going to be reprinted on her blog! http://www.joannavaught.com/2010/09/30/get-em-while-they-last/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 am 

darksideknitter wrote:
I've seen this while trawling etsy and inititally discarded it when I factored in postage. But from all the good reviews I may have to rethink my budget and buy myself a copy after all.

i wish that shipping were cheaper, too. i talked over the shipping options with a postal worker and chose the least expensive option -- unfortunately media mail discounts don't apply to international orders.

i don't charge for handling, the shipping price is the exact amount it costs to mail the book.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

joanna wrote:
darksideknitter wrote:

i wish that shipping were cheaper, too. i talked over the shipping options with a postal worker and chose the least expensive option -- unfortunately media mail discounts don't apply to international orders.

i don't charge for handling, the shipping price is the exact amount it costs to mail the book.

That's handy to know, your book is going on my wish list so I'll see what happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next