| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cookbook Recommendation For Newbie Cook
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

A friend of mine has been debating about transitioning to veganism, and to help her transition she wanted to get a vegan cookbook to try out a few recipes. She doesn't enjoy cooking and is a picky eater, she claims that she likes bland food but I’m sure that’s not true, she just doesn’t like anything with heat . She’s also intimated but unfamiliar ingredients. She picked up V’con a while ago but wants to return it as she thinks it’s for people who have more experience cooking and she said that none of the recipes sounded appealing to her (although she does want to make the Not-tella). I’m trying to think of some books that are very supermarket friendly, beginner cook friendly with meals that are quick to make on weeknights. I thought 1’000 Vegan Recipes would be good but maybe a little overwhelming with so much to pick from? What do you guys think?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Cookbook Recommendation For Newbie Cook
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Vegan with a Vengeance! This book both turned me vegan and taught me how to cook. It's very readible and smaller so I think it is far less intimidating!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I agree with VWAV, also Appetite for Reduction.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

What about How to Cook Everything Vegetarian? It's (obvs) not a vegan cookbook, but a) I think that would help her get familiarized with basic cooking techniques and some of what she considers to be 'exotic' or unfamiliar ingredients, and b) the recipes that are vegan are clearly marked.
As a helpful aside, Joanna (of Yellow Rose Recipes fame) is blogging every recipe from that book at Cooking Everything Vegetarian, with her opinions on each recipe as well as what, if anything, she had to change to make them vegan rather than vegetarian.
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone might be a good basic text as well, though I've never read it.

Is your friend transitioning from omni or vegetarian? I think that will help guide PPK recommendations.

ETA: AFR!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I agree about VWAV- it was my first cookbook as well there are a lot of very easy recipes in there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Personally, I would steer clear of the huge tomes. I am perfectly confident in the kitchen and adventurous to try new things and I think I've used 1000 Vegan Recipes once in the 6 months or so I've had it. It's just SO MUCH information that it loses me. I couldn't imagine it being a starter for someone not so fond of cooking.

I think out of all of my cookbooks, Appetite for Reduction is the most accessible with the highest amount of awesomeness. Vegan on the Cheap may also be good, it leans toward supermarket staples and most is easy.

If you want to go completely away from the holy trinity, Vegan Italiano or Donna Klein's other books may be another good option. I think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't love VI (I passed it on to a family of omnis!) so I'm suggesting it based on others' opinions, not my own.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ok I know this will sound silly, but the best cookbook for me when I converted was Veggie Works Vegan Cookbook by M. Rasmussen (sp?) My first vegan recipe I made myself was the Key Lime Pie, and I was hooked!

<3

- J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Appetite for Reduction actually is a really great book for beginners, and the recipes aren't going to come out tasting like boiled tofu doused in soy sauce or spaghetti with canned tomato sauce like in some "beginner" cookbooks. Bonus...they're healthy!

VWAV is a good one too. I think a lot of people find VWAV immensely readable and that could be what leads people to challenge themselves a bit more than usual with the more intimidating recipes.

If she like, REALLY, hates spending time in the kitchen, Vegan Express by Nava Atlas is a decent book full of fast and easy food, seemingly geared towards people who enjoy simple food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've definitely found the recipes from AFR to be pretty quick and easy. I only just bought Eat, Drink and Be Vegan, but so far the recipes I've tried have been very 'weeknight-friendly' with easy to find ingredients.

Her inexperience with cooking might also mean that she's not great at visualising how a recipe will turn out. Boyfriend is exactly the same, he loves everything I make but can never find anything that sounds appealing to him in my cookbooks unless there's an accompanying photo. That's why Yellow Rose Recipes is the only book he likes- there are photos for most things. So I definitely recommend choosing something with a lot of pretty pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the new farm! it's full of regular stuff like pancakes, biscuits, spaghetti n meatballs, cornbread, mac n cheese, etc.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

bekki wrote:
If you want to go completely away from the holy trinity, Vegan Italiano or Donna Klein's other books may be another good option. I think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't love VI (I passed it on to a family of omnis!) so I'm suggesting it based on others' opinions, not my own.

You are not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm also going to recommend Appetite For Reduction, everything I've cooked from it so far has been delicious but also quick & easy. I love the sections with ideas for bowls & sandwiches and you don't need to buy any "crazy" vegan ingredients.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

VWAV was the first vegan cookbook I bought. It has a good mix of basic... pancakes, waffles, pizza, tofu, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

She's an omni currently and doesn't have much experience with making veg meals. I totally forgot about AFR! That would probable be a great one as she's trying to lose weight too. I was debating about VWAV and ED&BV but thought some of the ingredients might be a little out there for her (mainly the seitan recipes). Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely be passing them along.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

MC1Rgirl wrote:
Ok I know this will sound silly, but the best cookbook for me when I converted was Veggie Works Vegan Cookbook by M. Rasmussen

aaaahhhhh, you have that too?!

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

bekki wrote:

I was going to suggest Donna Klein's Vegan Mediterranean Kitchen. She doesn't really use soy products/nooch/etc, and most of the protein-based dishes are beans and whole grains, so I think they're really accessible for people who won't have lots of vegan staples around. That makes the flavors pretty familiar to most people, too. I've been meaning to get this one for my parents. Of the ones I've looked at, Vegan Mediterranean is my favorite and the one I've cooked the most out of.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Supermarket Vegan & Fresh From the Vegetarian Slowcooker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Just my two cents, I learned how to cook with How it All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. Nowadays I hardly ever use that book, but it was immensely helpful back in the day when I was still new to both cooking and veganism. Have never actually read through Vegan With A Vengeance though!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Mediterranean Vegan or Supermarket Vegan. Vegan on the Cheap also has a lot of quick, tasty recipes that use familiar, easily obtainable ingredients.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I can recommend VwaV too. This wasn't my first vegan cook book but first which wasn't showing "health food" and nothing tasted like unseasoned tofu garnished with raw parsnip and sprouts which overall tastes like a cardboard. I don't have anything against those ingredients though I just don't like the idea of mixing up veganism with "health food" - of course food should be healthy but sometimes we carve something fried or sweet or anything else. So I find well seasoned dishes with a lot of taste in VwaV and also almost all products can be easily found and bought in normal supermarket, no need to go to a health food store or ethnic groceries.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

As someone who is still something of a newbie (I've been vegan since March of 2011 - thank you, Lent!) I have found that I use VWAV quite often. As I write this, the Black Bean Chipotle Corn Stew is cooking on my stove. I can't wait to taste it. I really like Isa's chattiness, and her guide to replacing eggs and dairy that she includes. VERY readable (this is actually the second recipe from VWAV that I've made today. The first one was the vegan pancakes which are simply AWESOME!)

Two other books that I've found are conducive to good vegan meals without exotic ingredients are Supermarket Vegan and AFR. I have Vegan on the Cheap, but haven't made anything from it yet. There's a cornbread recipe in Happy Herbivore which is pretty straight ahead - I made it earlier this week, and the only problem I had was that I didn't cook it long enough.

I guess I'm kind of naughty because I eat quite a bit of oatmeal and peanut butter and shredded wheat (plain).

One thing I got into was "veganizing" my favorite recipes from books like Diet for a Small Planet and Recipes for a Small Planet. (I've spent some previous time as a vegetarian.) Probably the best thing I gave up but the hardest to replace is cheese. I'm afraid Daiya and the other vegan cheeses I've tried are kind of oily and don't really melt all that great unless you nuke them in the microwave. But I've found, other than that, that soy milk, coconut milk and almond milk - both flavored & unflavored - and Earth Balance are my new best friends.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Appetite for Reduction is perfect. All of the recipes are cheap, easy, healthy, and tasty. I think it is one of the most user friendly cookbooks ever. Plus, no strange ingredients (well maybe one or two like tamarind paste, but those can be found in any international mart) and no dairy subs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yellow Rose Recipes and VWAV are my default newbie cookbooks. Simply, affordable, tasty food.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't own AFR, but as an omni she'd probably prefer food that sounds more like what she's familiar with. Keeping that in mind I guess I'd go with VWAV.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Definitely Urban Vegan and Vegan Diner. They're both comforting, are full of regular food and push the boundaries to make it a little fancier, and don't use too many different weird ingredients. They also have a good stack of easy recipes that can be whipped together and are pretty customisable.