| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Housekeeping has a VEGAN cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I mentioned it to my mom, whose an omni, and she might pick it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Larisa wrote:
and polenta with "spicy eggplant sauce." "Spicy" means 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.

Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I have a relative who routinely cuts the cayenne in recipes to 1/8 teaspoon. Some people like their food bland.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Did I hear a rumor that Fee is writing a PB&J cookbook? I'm so excited for the chapters on PB&J soups and PB&J salads!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:35 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

they should sell 'simple vegan' and 'easy vegan' together, like as a two pack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Did I hear a rumor that Fee is writing a PB&J cookbook? I'm so excited for the chapters on PB&J soups and PB&J salads!

Sorry, there will be no salads chapter. Vegans hate salad chapters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:53 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What is the Mac&Cheese made from in the GH book?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:03 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

mollyjade wrote:
I have a relative who routinely cuts the cayenne in recipes to 1/8 teaspoon. Some people like their food bland.

Hey, not liking spicy food is not the same as liking bland food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

IsaChandra wrote:

10 to 12 ounces elbow macaroni, 1 package silken tofu, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons vegan stick margarine, 1 1/2 cups packed shredded soy cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or almond milk.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

There's also a note underneath the Mac & Cheese recipe that pretty much says that there are lots of different kinds of vegan cheese out there, some better than others, so try some and see which ones you like.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Larisa wrote:
There's also a note underneath the Mac & Cheese recipe that pretty much says that there are lots of different kinds of vegan cheese out there, some better than others, so try some and see which ones you like.

What a cop-out! That recipe doesn't sound good to me at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I read this and pretty much thought it was perfect for my Aunt who basically only cooks the A-typical mid-American meat & potatoes meals. She keeps saying she wants to cook for me but I have yet to find a cookbook I think is suitable. Every cookbook I have always seems a bit too, well, lets be honest, fun. I might have to find a copy to check out in more detail though. Can anyone else suggest a good cookbook for the "A-typical mid-American meat & potatoes" people?

mtbVegan
@mtbVegan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:11 pm 
Chard Martyr

Larisa wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

10 to 12 ounces elbow macaroni, 1 package silken tofu, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons vegan stick margarine, 1 1/2 cups packed shredded soy cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or almond milk.

gross.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Larisa wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

This is pretty much exactly what I would make up if somebody told me to create a Mac & Cheese recipe. That is why I buy cookbooks and don't spend much time making up recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:30 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Well, for a dissenting opinion :) I have this book and I like it. I don't need anyone to tell me how to make a smoothie, but I have to admit, I do prefer simpler (aka more bland) food. And I don't love cooking and fussing. Too many ingredients and procedures scare me off. I don't like using tons of pots and pans and making a big mess in the kitchen. So a more stream-lined and simplified book appeals to me, and I will probably use this book. Also, it has nutritional info. A lot of vegetarian and vegan books do not. So I appreciate that. Not all of us are expert chefs! This book will appeal to the people who buy those 'five ingredient or less' cookbooks and are not as confident in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:38 pm 
Cranky

ficbot wrote:
Well, for a dissenting opinion :) I have this book and I like it. I don't need anyone to tell me how to make a smoothie, but I have to admit, I do prefer simpler (aka more bland) food. And I don't love cooking and fussing. Too many ingredients and procedures scare me off. I don't like using tons of pots and pans and making a big mess in the kitchen. So a more stream-lined and simplified book appeals to me, and I will probably use this book. Also, it has nutritional info. A lot of vegetarian and vegan books do not. So I appreciate that. Not all of us are expert chefs! This book will appeal to the people who buy those 'five ingredient or less' cookbooks and are not as confident in the kitchen.

It's awesome that you've found a cookbook that suits your needs! Many of the people here are really into cooking so we're not really the target demographic for this sort of cookbook, but I'm glad it fills a need that hasn't yet been adequately addressed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 am 
Tofu Pup

ficbot wrote:

I feel the same say, I really like this cookbook. We are moving and I don't have all of my kitchen stuff available. Also, I am busy getting the house ready to sell. I like that it is easy and appeals to my family.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, they're really edgy, aren't they.

If I were picking a cookbook for someone who just wants to be able to make stuff for the occasional vegan guest, I think it'd be Supermarket Vegan. The ingredients are totally non-intimidating but the food is still flavorful and maybe a little different.. I'd love to see more books like it, hunting down nooch and gluten flour and soymilk powder and almond meal etc. is great for everyday vegans but I think it makes the barrier to entry too high (and expensive). Vegan on the Cheap might be another good choice for similar reasons, and it's pretty mainstream-america with easy casseroles and such.

Anything that sounds good in the GH one I already have about five other recipes for. Meh. Glad some people will like it, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I haven't made anything from it yet, but I like that it has lots of pictures, gives recipes for basics like mayo and ricotta, and gives an idea of the time that is needed to do a recipe. The recipes look simple, sometimes the ingredient list is long, but the steps are few. To me it looks appetizing for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

annak wrote:
Wow, they're really edgy, aren't they.

If I were picking a cookbook for someone who just wants to be able to make stuff for the occasional vegan guest, I think it'd be Supermarket Vegan. The ingredients are totally non-intimidating but the food is still flavorful and maybe a little different.. ...Vegan on the Cheap might be another good choice for similar reasons, and it's pretty mainstream-america with easy casseroles and such.

Although I do enjoy challenging recipes from time to time, most days when I get home, I'm just so beat, I just want something that is straightforward and that my part-time vegan kids can make easily. Both Supermarket Vegan and Vegan on the Cheap fit that bill, and I have both of them. I probably won't get GHVC because we've already covered those bases with SV and VotC. On a not entirely unrelated note, anyone notice that since they've become vegan, they like food spicier than they once did? I definitely like a bit more heat than I did when I was omni. Supermarket Vegan has some recipes (such as the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos) that are almost TOO spicy. But I digress.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Okay, reading through this book I changed my mind about it. They suggest using CHINESE EGG NOODLES (no mention of a vegan alternative), saying: "Because of the egg in the dough, they have a soft texture and rich flavor that creates a delicious base [...]" What is that doing in a vegan cookbook? If that is how well they did their research... They also have at least one recipe with honey, though they do suggest agave nectar as an alternative in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It doesn't seem uncommon for vegan cookbooks written by non-vegan authors to mention honey, but egg? c'mon, people...