| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Has anyone else bought this cookbook? So far i really like it. I didn't have good luck with Artisan Vegan Cheese and wasted a whole bunch of cashews, so i was really looking forward to a simpler cheese book. The cheese recipes are mostly agar based. So far i have made cheddar, mozzarella, and pepperjack. The mozzarella had too strong of a flavor to be like dairy mozzarella, but it made an awesome cheesy spread. I will try it with less tahini next time. The cheddar rocked. I still can't get into the jello-like cheese on crackers or plain, but the flavor was there.
I was flipping through the "Suppers" chapter, looking for mac n cheese. I mean, the Cheesy Vegan HAD to have a recipe for mac n cheese, right? I kept flipping through, and no mac n cheese. I was starting to freak out. Then i turned the page and alas, a whole chapter on mac n cheese! I made the seasoned mac with cheddar and homemade cottage cheese. It was definitely the best mac n cheese i've made. I even gave in and bought some white truffle oil, as recommended in the recipe. So worth it.
There are a lot of recipes i am looking forward to trying out. Grilled seitan flares (still searching for the perfect buffalo wings), jalapeno poppers (two types!), buffalo dip, alfredo, and every other mac n cheese variety there is.

Post subject: Re: The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the review, annabazoo! I've had my eye on this one for quite some time, as Artisan Vegan Cheese has cost me a lot of money in the form of cheeses that didn't work out and had to be tossed. But I wanted to see what people thought of this book before I invested in it. It sounds awesome though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

holy flippin cow! a cheese book based on agar agar! my heart is racing! i am allergic to all nuts, seriously, is this a nut-free cheese book? if so i need this one asap!

edited to add: what is the cookbook organization like? is there a full table of contents with all recipes listed or at least a chapter page with all recipes listed?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
holy flippin cow! a cheese book based on agar agar! my heart is racing! i am allergic to all nuts, seriously, is this a nut-free cheese book? if so i need this one asap!

edited to add: what is the cookbook organization like? is there a full table of contents with all recipes listed or at least a chapter page with all recipes listed?

My husband's allergic to nuts so I feel you on this!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:

I just downloaded the Kindle version last night, so I haven't cooked anything yet, but just thought I'd let you know there are 15 cheese recipes and all but six contain nuts (mainly cashews). Of those six, two contain seeds, and the tofu based varieties are more along the lines of the soft white cheeses like ricotta. Can you eat seeds? I'm sure you can sub the cashews with them.

After the initial cheese recipes, the rest of the book is made up of recipes containing cheese, for which you can use homemade or bought varieties. I bought the book more for these recipes than the cheese ones. You've got Breakfast and Brunch, Soups and Salads, Sides, Sandwiches, Appetizers and Snacks, Suppers, Mac n Cheese, Cheesecakes, and a chapter on what drinks to pair with your cheeses.

In the ebook version there are a few nice colour photos, all the recipes are listed on the contents page (with links), but not on the chapter title pages. There's also an index with links.

I really think you could still get a lot out of this book even if you're limited to your own nut-free cheese recipe, and you could take a look at the seasonings for the different cheeses and add those to your own recipe.

PS. A few of the recipes are a bit basic, like most people already know how to make cucumber sandwiches! But there are enough interesting ones that it's still worth it. I have my eye on the Four-cheese Baked Rigatoni Gratin!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 am 

The cheese recipes that contain nuts have about 1/2 c, so it's not as nut-heavy as some other cheese recipes.

I made the mac n jack with pepperjack cheese. It was super creamy and delicious. Once you have the cheese made, it was a pretty simple recipe. I even succeeded using agar flakes!

I agree that a few recipes are basic, like Parmesan popcorn. But most of the recipes sound awesome and creative.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Karena wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I just downloaded the Kindle version last night, so I haven't cooked anything yet, but just thought I'd let you know there are 15 cheese recipes and all but six contain nuts (mainly cashews). Of those six, two contain seeds, and the tofu based varieties are more along the lines of the soft white cheeses like ricotta. Can you eat seeds? I'm sure you can sub the cashews with them.

After the initial cheese recipes, the rest of the book is made up of recipes containing cheese, for which you can use homemade or bought varieties. I bought the book more for these recipes than the cheese ones. You've got Breakfast and Brunch, Soups and Salads, Sides, Sandwiches, Appetizers and Snacks, Suppers, Mac n Cheese, Cheesecakes, and a chapter on what drinks to pair with your cheeses.

In the ebook version there are a few nice colour photos, all the recipes are listed on the contents page (with links), but not on the chapter title pages. There's also an index with links.

I really think you could still get a lot out of this book even if you're limited to your own nut-free cheese recipe, and you could take a look at the seasonings for the different cheeses and add those to your own recipe.

PS. A few of the recipes are a bit basic, like most people already know how to make cucumber sandwiches! But there are enough interesting ones that it's still worth it. I have my eye on the Four-cheese Baked Rigatoni Gratin!

Thank you for the comprehensive breakdown of the book! Now I want this even more!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I don't have luck with Artisan Vegan Cheese either, except for the almond ricotta and some recipes including cheese in the second half of the book. So I am curious about this one too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annabazoo wrote:
The cheese recipes that contain nuts have about 1/2 c, so it's not as nut-heavy as some other cheese recipes.

I made the mac n jack with pepperjack cheese. It was super creamy and delicious. Once you have the cheese made, it was a pretty simple recipe. I even succeeded using agar flakes!

I agree that a few recipes are basic, like Parmesan popcorn. But most of the recipes sound awesome and creative.

hhhm...... agar flakes. i use agar agar powder. i've read that agar agar powder is easier to use than the flakes. do the agar recipes in this book call for the flakes or the powder? if flakes, does the author give guidance on how to sub for the powder?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Karena wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

great review, thanks. 6 out of 15 of the cheese recipes are nut-free? i was hoping for more! and yes, i can thankfully eat seeds, i ♥ isa's sunflower mac n cheese sauce, omg so good! the book sounds amazing and i have added it to my wish list...... i would like to see it in person before i buy it..... bn.com (we are members) has it listed for $19.99 (the full price!) which is weird. once the price goes down a bit to match up with amazon.com i may buy it, and then if it isn't what i expected, i can just return it in the store.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm 

Most of the recipes say powder or flakes. The only difference given between the two is the amount and the dissolving time. I used both with this cookbook and both worked fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the cheddar recipe yesterday. I haven't tasted it yet, but it looks and smells like cheddar cheese! I was so excited to check on it after a couple hours and see it actually set! I took it out of the loaf pan and put it in an airtight container. It came out so beautifully. I've used agar powder successfully before, but I was still nervous. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Spicy Mac Attack (I think that's the name) and I couldn't possibly love it more. I used store-bought cream cheese and I had made the cheddar from the recipe in the book. I will be making this constantly!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Masuphl, I'd be interested to know how firm the cheddar was? And was it good if you tasted it by itself?
I wish we had Tofutti better than cream cheese here, I hear it tastes better than the other brands.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

Minatomachi wrote:
Masuphl, I'd be interested to know how firm the cheddar was? And was it good if you tasted it by itself?
I wish we had Tofutti better than cream cheese here, I hear it tastes better than the other brands.

It's pretty firm. No problem cutting it into thin slices. I haven't eaten any of it plain and cold, but I loved it in a grilled cheese.
I miss Tofutti cream cheese so much. I don't like the new kind my Whole Foods has. So if the cream cheese recipe in this book is good I will be thrilled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

are any of his cheese recipes online anywhere? i looked a bit, but didn't see much.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

ijustdiedinside wrote:
are any of his cheese recipes online anywhere? i looked a bit, but didn't see much.

I checked in my book (Kindle version) and it doesn't link to anything. And I checked his website (as you probably did too) and I couldn't find any recipes for the actual cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm 

I did not care for the cheddar plain. It's like cheese jell-o, and seeing as i never liked the texture of jello, it makes sense i wouldn't like cheese jello. The taste is fine by itself, but personally i did not like the texture cold. Once warmed it melts great and was delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

How does this compare to the Artisian Cheese Book?

I'm guessing this one is simplier i.e no rejuvalac and carageenan (did I read that somewhere?)

And how does it compare to the "Uncheese Cookbook"

Anyone compared or have any preferences?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 pm 

I just made a cheesy dip for my potato wedges by simply melting the cheddar. It turned into a beautiful sauce, and when it cooled down it turned solid again. I was craving the cheesy dip i used to get at Fuddruckers. It's been awhile so it is hard to compare, but it definitely was close enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:26 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

otherdimension wrote:

I'm guessing this one is simplier i.e no rejuvalac and carageenan (did I read that somewhere?)

Thanks!

I haven't made anything from it yet but I do have all 3. It's definitely simpler than Artisan cheese, but then of course the cheeses are more basic. And it's a bit more
modern than Uncheese and uses some fancier ingredients. I'd say it's more fun than Uncheese and less scientific than Artisan, and it appeals to me for both of those reasons.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm interested to know if anyone has made any cheese recipes from the Non-Dairy Formulary. How does this book compare to The Cheesy Vegan? I have Artisan Vegan Cheese, but would like to try one of the other books, in hopes of finding some simpler recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am 
WRETCHED

Well considering the NDF has at least a few non-original (aka "borrowed without author knowledge") recipes, I have no interest in buying it.

I decided to order this on kindle and the recipes definitely are pretty simple. I want to make the swiss cheese. The only exotic ingredient appears to be agar flakes. I am going to risk it but I ordered agar powder instead, from what I can tell you reduce the amount by 1/3rd if using agar powder. I will report back after I get my agar powder and try the recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

[quote="linanil"]Well considering the NDF has at least a few non-original (aka "borrowed without author knowledge") recipes, I have no interest in buying it.[quote]

I had no idea about that. That would explain why there's no thread for it. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Efcliz wrote:
otherdimension wrote:

Thanks!

I haven't made anything from it yet but I do have all 3. It's definitely simpler than Artisan cheese, but then of course the cheeses are more basic. And it's a bit more
modern than Uncheese and uses some fancier ingredients. I'd say it's more fun than Uncheese and less scientific than Artisan, and it appeals to me for both of those reasons.

Thanks! mines on the way from Amazon

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next