| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have made Feijoada on January 1st, but I still have so many leftovers! Can this be frozen?

I made the Coconut Rice from VAW and it was so good...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I want to make the creamy ancho chili dressing to go with the spinach-avocado chile dressing, but I can't get dried chilis. Do you think I could just use some canned chipotle in adobo?

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:37 pm 
Taco Scientist

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I finally got around to making the Arroz con Gandules for the first time. It was perfect, and will become a regular staple recipe in my kitchen from now on!

I like that one but I think the seitan version is spectacular.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:10 am 

lobsteriffic wrote:
I want to make the creamy ancho chili dressing to go with the spinach-avocado chile dressing, but I can't get dried chilis. Do you think I could just use some canned chipotle in adobo?

Uh...nevermind. I clearly missed the note right in the book that tells you that you can do that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:07 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

LazySmurf wrote:
I finally got around to making the Arroz con Gandules for the first time. It was perfect, and will become a regular staple recipe in my kitchen from now on!

I don't think I had ever even given the Arroz con Seitan a second look, but I made it last night after seeing you mention it LazySmurf. So good!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:29 am 

I took the spinach-avocado chile salad with the creamy ancho dressing and everyone loved it! I made the version with the tempeh asado.

I also made the mushroom ceviche and it was okay, but all I could taste was lime. Other folks seemed to like it more than I did.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:45 am 
Taco Scientist

heatherkelly wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

I don't think I had ever even given the Arroz con Seitan a second look, but I made it last night after seeing you mention it LazySmurf. So good!!

high five!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got this bookcook because of all the praise in this thread. Looking at the recipes I was a little iffy since I don't really eat any Latin food but I went with some of the recommendations in here. Currently eating the red posoles and oh my god is it amazing. I made it super spicy too. Next I plan on making the orange mojo tofu, I'll report back when I do!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just made the green posole tonight. So good! Only I ate half the seitan after frying it, oops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Okay so I made the mojo tofu with cilantro lime rice and yup. It was delicious. This cookbook is a winner! Looking forward to making the guava mango bread pudding!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

Is there an error in Empanada dough recipe (p199)? It calls for dough to be rolled out at 3/8 inch (9.5mm), which not only seems incredibly thick, but only yields about 4-5 rounds instead of a dozen as stated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:03 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Angelina wrote:
I have made Feijoada on January 1st, but I still have so many leftovers! Can this be frozen?

I made the Coconut Rice from VAW and it was so good...

I have previously frozen the fejoda (Is that the black bean stew with the soy chunks? I made it with orange rice). If that's the stew then yes, it's fine to freeze for future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:05 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

duree wrote:
Is there an error in Empanada dough recipe (p199)? It calls for dough to be rolled out at 3/8 inch (9.5mm), which not only seems incredibly thick, but only yields about 4-5 rounds instead of a dozen as stated.

I haven't made that particular empanada recipe from this book, but I've made empanadas previously and I'd go with your gut and roll out the dough thinner so you can get the empanada count the recipe calls for.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:06 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I've had this book for 5 years now and I have never made a single thing from it. I guess it's because I am not familiar with South American food so none of the recipes "speak" to me, but I would really like to try some!
What would you recommend as the first recipe to make? Note: I hate olives.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:40 am 
Taco Scientist

If it's hot where you live start with the salads! I made the any noche salad and it was amazing. There is a good mango salad to IIRC.

But, to me, the best way to enjoy the book is to make the white seitan and then make something with it. There are a bunch of variations in the proteins chapter like Cuban ropa vieja or Venezulen mechada and serve with one of the rices in the book (I love the Brazilian) or on fresh tortillas or arepas. Or stick it in the enchiladas or a torta or go nuts and make tamales.

It is one of my most used and most beloved cookbooks so I think you really can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 am 
Saggy Butt

I loved the Quinotto (Quinoa-Oyster Mushroom Risotto - I used regular cremini mushrooms). Thought it made a great meal with some roasted veggies on the side!

Also really liked the Chimichurri Baked Tofu! Easy and delicious way to eat tofu.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:14 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

If you have lots of time I would recommend the Red Chile Seitan Tamales. One of the best dishes I have ever made and unlike anything I had eaten before (also not familiar with South American food).

Less time-consuming favourites are
- the Peanut Sauce (Salsa de Mani) with one of the tofus and the Yellow Rice with garlic and
- the Peruvian Seitan and Potato Skewers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Quinoa-Corn Chowder with Limas and Aji and it was really good (with black beans though). I am not so into spicy food but this was the perfect amount of spicy. There was a little too much corn for my taste though; maybe next time I'll replace some of it with a vegetable with less glucides! Will make again!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the refried beans. They smell so great while cooking. And obviously, they taste much better than the canned ones for a very minimal effort. Will make again! Reheated for lunch on tortillas with salsa and sprouts and it was a delicious, filling meal.

Now I really have my eyes on the dessert section. Really want to make that coffee flan and that corn ice cream!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Alright peeps, I am WAY LATE to this party but my copy of this is arriving in the mail today. I def want to make the white seitan first and I have some cooked kidney beans that need to get used up. What recipe would you recommend to use both? I doubt any recipes call for kidney beans but maybe I can sub them for pintos or black beans. Thanks, looking forward to digging into this one as Latin food is probably my favorite ever...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:54 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ambular_ wrote:
Alright peeps, I am WAY LATE to this party but my copy of this is arriving in the mail today. I def want to make the white seitan first and I have some cooked kidney beans that need to get used up. What recipe would you recommend to use both? I doubt any recipes call for kidney beans but maybe I can sub them for pintos or black beans. Thanks, looking forward to digging into this one as Latin food is probably my favorite ever...

I don't think that any of the recipes call for kidney beans....but maybe you can use them for the Refried Beans? That recipe is KILLER. Easy to half or double as well depending on how many you have.

or maybe you could use them in something where the beans are not the star of the dish - like the pupasas or tamales or something like that.

or, you could just make one of the recipes that use the seitan and use it as a burrito filling, with kidney refried beans?

Have fun with the book! It is one of my favorites :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Chicki wrote:

I don't think that any of the recipes call for kidney beans....but maybe you can use them for the Refried Beans? That recipe is KILLER. Easy to half or double as well depending on how many you have.

or maybe you could use them in something where the beans are not the star of the dish - like the pupasas or tamales or something like that.

or, you could just make one of the recipes that use the seitan and use it as a burrito filling, with kidney refried beans?

Have fun with the book! It is one of my favorites :)

Refried beans it is! Woot woot! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Café con Leche Flan and it was very good but fell apart, it didn't set enough. Followed the instructions exactly (and no ingredient sub) so not sure what went wrong there. Have some of you had this issue?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:50 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Made the Zesty Orange Mojo Baked Tofu and the Quinoa Salad with Spinach, Olives and Roasted Peanuts. Left the peanuts and spinach out of the quinoa salad as I didn't have them but served the quinoa over shredded lettuce for some greenery. Wow the tofu is really tasty and it makes a great meal. Looking forward to cooking more from this old favorite cookbook this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:22 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yum, I've been cooking from this cookbook lately too! Last week made the orange mojo tofu (soooo good!)

This week made the arepas stuffed with sexy tempeh filling and avocado. Soooo good. And easy to make, too. I love making arepas whenever I can get the PAN flour to make them. I always make them fresh/to order as I really don't think arepas keep at all once they've been cooked. They really rely on freshness to get the full effect. I have prepared the dough ahead and stuck in fridge for a day or so before eating and that worked out all right, if I remember correctly but they're so easy to put together, you can just as well make them perfectly fresh, on the spot. Plan a bit ahead though as they take around 1/2 hour total cooking time for the Venezuelan variety (the kind I usually make). Such yumminess! They're the perfect foil for a filling that would make other breads soggy as the crust retains its crispness! I also couldn't find a jicama this week at the grocery store so I subbed an Asian pear in the tempeh filling which is a close flavor match and it's still yum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next