| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

Terry wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
tenderoni wrote:
can i use canned tomatillos for the recipes that call for fresh?

I did this last night, for the green posole. I didn't have any issues, other than finding that the blended sauce wasn't thick like the recipe said it should have been. I just added one cup of veggie stock instead of two and it was fine. It should be pretty easy to judge whether or not you need to add the full amount of liquid.

This. Canned tomatillos are going to have considerably more water than fresh. And since they're already cooked essentially you can skip all the washing/cooking business.

awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 am 
Tofu Pup

I went on a cooking spree yesterday. I made the so good, so green dipping sauce, Brazilian-style kale, home-style refried beans, savory orange rice, and the Latin baked tofu. The rice and beans were very good, but the green ají sauce, kale, and tofu were RIDICULOUSLY good. My meat-eating boyfriend and I stuffed ourselves. We ate all 4 servings of the tofu and most of the kale. The green sauce is almost gone because I've been spreading it on bread all day.

I'll be receiving a package of canned huitlacoche soon, so I'll be experimenting with ways to prepare it and I'm sure I'll be trying out some more VV recipes soon. I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I got this for Christmas, can't wait to start cooking from it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:33 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, this is an awesome book. I'm making the chickpea and potato enchilada for New Year's Eve, among other delights!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was rolling with the Christmas gifts this year, but this is probably one of the ones I'm most excited about!! I've already started a grocery list for this book!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Terry wrote:
Anyone making tamales for Xmas, I want to hear about it!

Me me! Except... I didn't have a steaming basket, just a rice cooker/steamer, and didn't know how much water to put in to cook them or anything and most of them came out way underdone (from one batch anyway). So if anyone has tips on making them in a rice cooker they'd be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm going out and getting a steaming basket tomorrow (actually I might just do that anyway)! My brother got one that was perfectly done and said it was amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:49 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Terry wrote:

In the works: hallacas (Venezuelan) tamales wrapped in banana leaves. I had plans for them in VV! but they didn't pan out at the time, but since 'tis the season I'm on the prowl for frozen banana/plantain leaves.

I made the VV black bean and sweet potato tamales to take to my uncle's house so I'd have something that 1: I could eat and share, and 2: would be easy to just throw in the microwave to heat up when we got there. My aunt seemed stressed out at first with another food item to deal with, but was so happy when I said "just throw them on a plate, nuke them for 5 minutes, and then we'll feel them and see if they need more time." "ok, that's easy!" she sighed, visibly relieved. Everyone was supper excited that I brought tamales, and my (very omni/vegetable phobic) uncle who tries to keep several miles between himself and sweet potatoes, broke his no-sweet-potatoes-ever rule because they were tamales, ate sweet potato in front of me for the first time in the 20+ years I've known him, and enjoyed them! The only complaint from some was that they were too hot! And I thought I went mild for them. Such wimps.
I'm so sad that these Venezuelan tamales in banana leaves didn't make it into the book. Any chance of the recipe appearing on your blog, or in a future book, or something?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:00 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

seitanicverses wrote:
Yeah, this is an awesome book. I'm making the chickpea and potato enchilada for New Year's Eve, among other delights!

I made these for my family gathering last night! Soooo good. Both my omni mom and I think that the pine nut crema tastes like sour cream, which made me very happy. I think I might make some more tomorrow and try it on a baked potato.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally have this book in my possession! A gave my family a huge list of cookbooks that I wanted, and I got this one among others.

So, first meal I am making is "Creamy Corn Crusted Tempeh Pot Pie". I need meals that will travel for New Years Eve and New Years Day. This is what my husband and I will be eating on New Years Eve. I am so excited!

Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Mine just arrived! I'm a little late on the bandwagon, though. I'm eyeing the pupusas and the black-eyed-butternut tostadas!

This will be my first time with latin food, can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just had the Creamy-Corn-Crusted Tempeh Pot Pie (Pastel de Choclo) and I am officially declaring it my favorite recipe of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the chickpea potato enchilada's for a new year's eve dinner (4 non vegans at my table) and everyone liked it a lot! The tomotillo sauce was amazing, i will make more next time, i thought it could be 'saucier' (thats how i like mine)

Made it with the cilantro-lime rice, and a mexican style cesar salad (cesear dressing from AFR, beans, corn, avacados, romaine)

Everything I have made is fantastic. I always use dried beans now, especially for re-fried black beans.

Also, fried plantains just may be my favorite food to make and eat. yum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LazySmurf wrote:
I just had the Creamy-Corn-Crusted Tempeh Pot Pie (Pastel de Choclo) and I am officially declaring it my favorite recipe of all time.

Amen to that! It was superb.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Terry wrote:
Regarding VV seitan:

-the red seitan is softer than the white due to the tomato paste. So yes, you're not imagining things

-Since the seitan is steamed I would suggest keeping the 2 tablespoons of oil. The total servings for the entire recipe is over 8, probably more like 10 depending how it's used, so it's really not much oil.

um . . . i just ate over a quarter of a batch in one sitting. hot DAMN this stuff is good. imma make it every day 4-eva.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Terry wrote:
I'm so sad that these Venezuelan tamales in banana leaves didn't make it into the book. Any chance of the recipe appearing on your blog, or in a future book, or something?

I put up a recipe on my blog, and there's a link to plenty of photos of hallaca construction. I'll keep tweeking the recipe: the dough could use just a little less masarepa flour, and my dad said there was too much annatto but whatever, it's my tamale time. General first-time hallaca eaters (including omnis) were fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Terry wrote:
I put up a recipe on my blog, and there's a link to plenty of photos of hallaca construction. I'll keep tweeking the recipe: the dough could use just a little less masarepa flour, and my dad said there was too much annatto but whatever, it's my tamale time. General first-time hallaca eaters (including omnis) were fans.

Mmmmm, those look and sound amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recipe Terry! In a couple months, when I've recovered from making a double batch of VV black bean sweet potato tamales, (and there are no more tamales in my freezer) I am so making hallaca!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hey guys!

I ALWAYS skip to the desserts with any cookbook. So I made the tres leches cake! It was awesome. I enjoyed it immensely.

However I don't recommend putting in the agar in the topping, I did for mine and the topping became jellified. I was hoping for a softer, creamier feel. I think I'd leave it out, or reduce the agar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made arepas again this morning but wanted a more breakfasty filling. I had a couple "sausage" patties left from yesterday (just red quinoa held together with millet flour, flax seeds and water and seasoned with sausage spices). I made a little guac and stirred in some nooch with a hot, crumbled up sausage patty. I put slices of tomato in the arepa and then stuffed in the guac mixture. It was totally yum. I could eat the Venezuelan style arepas every day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the sweet corn empanadas and my picky child who eats practically nothing has been begging for me to make them ever since. They are delicious.

I'm going to have to suck it up and do a major shop at my latin grocery so I have more stuff on hand. I have to confess the sauces scare me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i made the portobello feijoada and the spicy tortilla casserole with roasted poblanos this weekend. my spouse and i couldn't be happier. soooooo soooo sooooo amazing! the best Latin food we've had. ever! later this week it's gonna be the quick red posole with beans....ooooh, i cannot wait! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

happyfaced wrote:
i made the portobello feijoada

We were eating the feijoada all last week w/ the savory orange rice and braised kale! It was so frickin amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Terry wrote:

Mmmmm, those look and sound amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recipe Terry! In a couple months, when I've recovered from making a double batch of VV black bean sweet potato tamales, (and there are no more tamales in my freezer) I am so making hallaca!

Thanks for the recipe, once I move and have my new kitchen set up, I will be making a huge batch to store in the freezer and I'm definitely going to try wrapping some in banana leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mixmaster_mo wrote:
happyfaced wrote:
i made the portobello feijoada

We were eating the feijoada all last week w/ the savory orange rice and braised kale! It was so frickin amazing!

i'm eating the last of my leftovers now for a super late breakfast. i am sooooo sadfaced they're gonna be all gone. where has this feijoada been all my life?! soooooo delicious! (didn't have chunky tvp - so we used crushed up soy curls instead!)

LazySmurf wrote:

i'm putting the creamy-corn-crusted tempeh pot pie on our menu for next week. superyay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So happy to see the pastel de choclo getting some love. And yeah snow makes it totally portabella feijoada season.

If you're shopping for another hearty stew for cold weather I recommend the Hearty Pumpkin & Cranberry Bean Stew. Pumpkin, cold and you go great together.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I just got this book in the mail today, and am so totally excited to start cooking up some of the recipes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next