| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the Brazilian braised kale but with collard greens last night. Maaaan, so good! I ate almost an entire bunch of collards all by myself, they were so yummy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

maygles wrote:
I made the Brazilian braised kale but with collard greens last night. Maaaan, so good! I ate almost an entire bunch of collards all by myself, they were so yummy!

This is the only recipe I've made from this book so far :S, it's so good!

I need to make more from this book!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a quick question about hominy-the smallest can I can find is 29 ounces, so could I freeze the other half or do I just need to figure out something else to do with it?

And then, should I start with the red or the green posole? I'm leaning towards the green...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Quote:
I have a quick question about hominy-the smallest can I can find is 29 ounces, so could I freeze the other half or do I just need to figure out something else to do with it?

And then, should I start with the red or the green posole? I'm leaning towards the green...

when i make the red posole, i put the whole thing in there since I love hominy. but if you have leftover, it is good in like a mexican style stir fry of veggies to put in fajitas or tacos

So i have also been having problems with the Red Seitan-super mushy! but i love the taste! I use the Bob's Red Mill type of gluten, so i dont think thats the problem

what i did last time was BAKE half of the recipe (2 loaves) and steamed the other half and Voila! the baked loaves came out perfectly to my liking. I baked at 325 for 90 minutes, wrapped in foil

The steamed still tastes good, but still too mushy IMO

hope that works for someone else...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bekki wrote:

I have the same problem, I have to order hominy online and I can only get giant tins. I made both the red and green posoles within a couple of days of each other just to use it all, but I don't see why you couldn't freeze it. I'll do that next time.

And I definitely recommend the red posole, I love it. My green one didn't turn out so well, but I think that's just because I messed up the seitan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:15 am 
WELFARIST!

I loved both the red and green posole and I really love hominy too! I get the smaller tins which are available in the Mexican shops in Kensington Market in Toronto (15 oz, I believe) so I could use up each can with no leftovers. I can't see why you couldn't freeze it either, if you could only get giant cans, though I haven't actually tried freezing it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I like both too, but the green posole is so, so good—one of my favorite recipes in the book. I still make the red posole more often because I'm more likely to have the ingredients, but this has inspired me to make the green posole again!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

deearess wrote:
For anybody that hasn't made the orange mojo tofu...do it!

Yes, so good! I love this cookbook and I'm looking forward to making all the Peruvian recipes, mmm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night i made the Black Eye Peas and butternut squash tostadas and they were yum.

it was funny, they tasted a bit blah in the pan, but once I had them on the tostada shell and with the salsa (i used the roasted tomatillo salsa also from the book) it was awesome. Part of that was the fact that I actually fried the tortilla like the recipe said. Usually i dont fry, try to be healthy, but man, it sure was good!

Leftover on a soft tortilla were good too.

On a different note...I think i want to buy a tortilla press now from Amazon. they are less than $20.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Chicki wrote:
On a different note...I think i want to buy a tortilla press now from Amazon. they are less than $20.

Do it! I think I found one for around 10-12 bucks, so worth it. Just don't put it in the dishwasher ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

bekki wrote:

you can so totally freeze hominy!!! just put it in a ziploc type bag. easy and fun!
start with green, it's alphabetically correct ha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

the curdito slaw with pupusas will change you. for the better. and with that tomato sauce!!! oh man that's the only meal you ever neeeeeeeeeeed!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Peace by Pastries wrote:
bekki wrote:

you can so totally freeze hominy!!! just put it in a ziploc type bag. easy and fun!
start with green, it's alphabetically correct ha

Freeze it? Drop that stuff in a skillet and fry it up with a little black pepper and salt and then scarf it down all Southern style!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the Arroz con Seitan this past weekend. This was my first time making the white seitan and my first time with this particular recipe. It was super tasty! I was a little dubious about the sliced olives and capers, but in the end, that bit of brininess really made the dish. So good!

And then last night I made the chickpea and potato enchiladas. It was a little more labor-intensive than I usually go for on a weeknight, but I made the enchilada sauce ahead of time, so that cut things down a little bit. I served it with the cilantro lime rice and a salad. I had guests over for dinner and they totally raved about everything! I was so excited, because one of them is a vegan-skeptic. He had seconds! And let's no even talk about my boyfriend, who ate so much he felt sick all night. He has officially requested enchiladas for his birthday.

Last edited by Megbeck on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, I bought some Bob's vital wheat gluten last week so I could make some more of white seitan, or whatever seitan is required (it might be one of the sausage styles) for the chipotle potato tacos. Those tacos are on my soon to do list!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Enchilada tip: if possible make the sauce, filling and topping (if any) in advance and keep in the fridge for up to a week. When it's enchi time things will speed by (at least for enchiladas), perhaps even fast enough for a weeknight meal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:40 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm planning on making the corn crusted tempeh pot pies this weekend. I think I might go to a cookshop and spring for the mini pie dish thingies. I think I should also make some sort of salad to serve alongside, although I'm as yet undecided on that. Any suggestions of what salad/greens would go nicely with this dish are welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:02 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Ooooh! Friday night I made the chorizo potato taquitos. They were SUPER delicious! I shallow-fried them.

Next time I'll make the filling the night before; then I'll only need to make the spanish rice & roll taquitos the night of serving.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just put my corn crusted tempeh pot pie into the oven. Man does it ever look good. Both components tasted great separately, and now they're in the oven now comingling deliciously! I'm making braised kale alongside. Yum. Looking forward to a great meal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

seitanicverses wrote:
I'm planning on making the corn crusted tempeh pot pies this weekend. I think I might go to a cookshop and spring for the mini pie dish thingies. I think I should also make some sort of salad to serve alongside, although I'm as yet undecided on that. Any suggestions of what salad/greens would go nicely with this dish are welcome!

The Chilean tomato onion salad is nice, but the kale you made is a good choice since we're months away from seeing a decent tomato.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Terry wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

The Chilean tomato onion salad is nice, but the kale you made is a good choice since we're months away from seeing a decent tomato.

Thanks, Terry! Will definitely be making this tempeh corn pie again so I will have a shot at that suggested pairing another time and in tomato season.

The tempeh corn pie was REALLY good. Yumz. Can't wait for leftovers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have a new favorite recipe from this book: chimichurri baked tofu. I've been making the chimichurri sauce by hand since I don't have a food processor, but it's entirely worth it. The parsley/smoked paprika/olive oil combination is magical. If you haven't tried this one, you're missing out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

orange mojo baked tofu tonight! I've got some red beans (the bag appears to be Salvadorean) in the crockpot while I'm here at work, so it'll be not-refried beans, yellow garlic rice and kale alongside it. I love the baking method for the tofu (like the VWAV Pomegranate Tofu), and I've been craving orange like crazy so this is gonna be great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 pm 
Dead by dawn

Megbeck wrote:
And then last night I made the chickpea and potato enchiladas. It was a little more labor-intensive than I usually go for on a weeknight, but I made the enchilada sauce ahead of time, so that cut things down a little bit. I served it with the cilantro lime rice and a salad. I had guests over for dinner and they totally raved about everything! I was so excited, because one of them is a vegan-skeptic. He had seconds! And let's no even talk about my boyfriend, who ate so much he felt sick all night. He has officially requested enchiladas for his birthday.

Good to know. This is pretty much my menu plan for next time the fam is over for dinner. They are non-skeptical non-vegans, so I can pretty much feed them anything, but those enchiladas sounded awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

SandyBadlands wrote:
I have a new favorite recipe from this book: chimichurri baked tofu. I've been making the chimichurri sauce by hand since I don't have a food processor, but it's entirely worth it. The parsley/smoked paprika/olive oil combination is magical. If you haven't tried this one, you're missing out!

Try the portabello variation! It is one of my favorites!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next