| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
^^ they travel excellently. i brought one to work today, it was fully cooked last night and i reheated it in a microwave at work and the dough stayed pretty flaky. had i had an oven i would have reheated it that way.

brushing them with soy creamer before baking gives them a LOVELY coloring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

to add to the empanada love, a story:
we've needed a new food processor for years, we only have this tiny two cup jobber someone gave us when we got married ('the perfect size for a couple', yeah, right). while my husband was chowing on the creamy corn empanadas i made from vv! i mentioned that it would be a lot easier to make empanadas if we had a bigger food processor.
guess who now has a new, 8 cup food processor? this girl. yippppie :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Audrey wrote:
ok, I want to bring empanadas to my mom's surprise bday party in NJ (using the regular wheat dough and probably the seitan-mushroom filling). I am thinking I will make the dough and filling the day before, then fill and possibly bake them for the minimum time on the day of. But then they have to ride in the car, so I guess I should make sure they are fully cooled, and then bake em for like 10 minutes once I get there to brown them a little? Also, I'm planning on making them a little on the small side because there's going to be a lot of other (gross omni) food there and I feel like if they are small, more people will give them a try.
if anyone wants to give me tips on pre-cooking, traveling with or reheating, I'd love it!

I once transported some of the seitan-mushroom empanadas in a plastic container on an 8+ hour bus ride, then microwaved them for dinner. They were still great! I bet they'd've been even better reheated in the oven, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

whoa whoa whoa, new favorite: quinoa with spinach, peanuts and olives dish from the salad chapter. Beautifully colorful, nice contrast with warm/cool AND my bf just texted me "Best quinoa ever!" He usually hates quinoa, but this dish is gonna be a lunch staple...I mean, he will eat just about anything containing olives and aji paste, but still! I can't imagine how ridiculously delicious this would be if one used the candied chile peanuts too (I was short on time so just used plain roasted.) I think one of my favorite factors of this book is that it introduced us to the wonders of aji paste (amarillo being my favorite.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm totally in love with aji amarillo too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Veglicious wrote:

Did you get that from the place in Woolloongabba? I haven't made it out there yet, but next free day off I am there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 am 

Yeah the first time I got a jar of canned chilis from usafoods.com.au but now I have a jar of the paste from the Wooloongabba place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So, I'm pretty in love with the recipe for Gallo Pinto in the book. It's pretty close (and possibly better) than the stuff I used to eat in Costa Rica for breakfast almost everyday. Haha. The corn filled empanadas that I served alongside also got rave reviews from my family. My skeptical omni dad said it was the best vegan meal I've cooked, so yay!

Question: Is anyone actually able to get 12 6" empanadas out of the dough recipe? I only got 7 and I rolled them out pretty thin. O.O Maybe my cereal bowl was a little larger than 6".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Freetahtah wrote:
Question: Is anyone actually able to get 12 6" empanadas out of the dough recipe? I only got 7 and I rolled them out pretty thin. O.O Maybe my cereal bowl was a little larger than 6".

I've had enough for eight empanadas every time I've made them (three times that I can remember). I might try rolling the dough a little thinner next time. Which should really be soon since I love them so much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

has anyone steamed the chorizo sausages instead of baking them? i want to make them, but my oven is being utilized for beans right now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Audrey wrote:
whoa whoa whoa, new favorite: quinoa with spinach, peanuts and olives dish from the salad chapter. Beautifully colorful, nice contrast with warm/cool AND my bf just texted me "Best quinoa ever!" He usually hates quinoa, but this dish is gonna be a lunch staple...I mean, he will eat just about anything containing olives and aji paste, but still! I can't imagine how ridiculously delicious this would be if one used the candied chile peanuts too (I was short on time so just used plain roasted.) I think one of my favorite factors of this book is that it introduced us to the wonders of aji paste (amarillo being my favorite.)

Yes, this is a wonderful salad! I did the candied peanuts and they're worth the extra bit of effort but make sure you don't eat them all alone before adding them to your salad because they're outstandingly delish too. Yum, I should make this again soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I make the gallo pinto all the time too (with black beans)

had it for dinner last night

then when i came home after drinking,

then for breakfast this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:31 am 
Saggy Butt

SandyBadlands wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:

I've had enough for eight empanadas every time I've made them (three times that I can remember). I might try rolling the dough a little thinner next time. Which should really be soon since I love them so much.

i've gotten 12, but i use a calzone/empanada cutter and press. i think it's smaller then 6 inches though because i only used about half of the filling recipe otherwise they wouldnt close right

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:34 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

dimsimkitty wrote:
Veglicious wrote:

Did you get that from the place in Woolloongabba? I haven't made it out there yet, but next free day off I am there!

I so much want to go to a place called Woolloongabba. I can't really believe it's real.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 am 

Basically all our suburbs are called names like that, they're aboriginal. We have awesome place names in this country.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just got my wisdom teeth out today, but I still want to participate in the Cookbook Challenge next week. Can someone recommend some easy to chew or soft foods to make from this book? I'm thinking soups for sure, especially the Sweet Potato-Chipotle Bisque. Anything else come to mind? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

i made the drunken beans and chorizo, but used trader joe's soyrizo because i'm lazy. served with kale and arepas and avocado, whoa, this is a KILLER meal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kdub wrote:
I just got my wisdom teeth out today, but I still want to participate in the Cookbook Challenge next week. Can someone recommend some easy to chew or soft foods to make from this book? I'm thinking soups for sure, especially the Sweet Potato-Chipotle Bisque. Anything else come to mind? Thanks!!

I've made the bisque, it was lovely. You could make the guatita if you cook the potatoes until they're really soft/mushy or the quick red posole but leave out the hominy or beans if you don't want to chew.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 am 
Ninja Master

I made the orange mojo tofu twice last week because it was that good! Once for my omni friend who loved it too.

I made the quinoa / olive / spinach / peanut salad to go with, but left out the olives because my friend is a hater and I can't say I love them that much. I'm not a huge lover of quinoa but I really like this salad.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside wrote:
has anyone steamed the chorizo sausages instead of baking them? i want to make them, but my oven is being utilized for beans right now!

I originally made them steamed, but many of the testers mentioned they were kind of obscenely flaccid, or something. But yeah, you can totally steam them if you like! The texture is much softer and less chewy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

kdub wrote:

Probably too late, cause the VV challenge week is over, but there is a whole beverage chapter. Just don't sip them with a straw! And, hope you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm cooking Monday for an omni friend that I want to impress and I want to use this book... I'm leaning towards the enchiladas with the optional inclusion of seitan (I want to make sure there is no possible way he leaves hungry). Anything else I should be considering? I'm thinking the cilantro-lime rice would be quite nice on the side and I plan to serve Tres Leches cake mostly because I haven't had one since converting and so I want it. Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

trumpetjvo wrote:
I'm leaning towards the enchiladas with the optional inclusion of seitan (I want to make sure there is no possible way he leaves hungry). Anything else I should be considering? I'm thinking the cilantro-lime rice would be quite nice on the side and I plan to serve Tres Leches cake mostly because I haven't had one since converting and so I want it. Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated :-)

I made the enchiladas and served them with that rice last week for the cookbook challenge. It's definitely filling, and Boyfriend was super impressed with it. He's already requested the same meal again this week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
kdub wrote:

Probably too late, cause the VV challenge week is over, but there is a whole beverage chapter. Just don't sip them with a straw! And, hope you are feeling better.

Thanks,I'm all healed and I hadn't even thought about the drinks. I made a few soups and was happy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erinnerung wrote:
trumpetjvo wrote:
I'm leaning towards the enchiladas with the optional inclusion of seitan (I want to make sure there is no possible way he leaves hungry). Anything else I should be considering? I'm thinking the cilantro-lime rice would be quite nice on the side and I plan to serve Tres Leches cake mostly because I haven't had one since converting and so I want it. Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated :-)

I made the enchiladas and served them with that rice last week for the cookbook challenge. It's definitely filling, and Boyfriend was super impressed with it. He's already requested the same meal again this week.

Did you use flour tortillas? Yours are so pretty. I made those with corn tortillas tonight and they completely fell apart. I never use corn tortillas but I thought I would give it a go and now I'm thinking I'm going to write them off again. Either that or just do a lasagna-style layered thing with enchilada filling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next