| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Finally got a copy and gave a couple recipes a whirl. Did the Portabello Feijoada, Brazilian Braise Kale and Fried Plantains.

Didn't use a non-stick pan for the kale, cuz I'm non-stick-o-phobe so it kinda burned but most of it could be saved. I used 2 cans of black beans instead of cooking dry ones and about a cup and a half cooked chickpeas that needed to be used. It tasted great! Very meat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:34 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Peruvian Seitan and Potato Skewers (Seitan Anticuchos)

I pulled out this book again the other day and went through linking of all the stuff I want to make. It's just win after win. I made some empanada dough and the seitan/raisins/olives filling so hopefully I'll get them on the go this week. I used coconut oil instead of shortening so I hope they work out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The food I've cooked from the book for other people always seems to be popular. I just had to stop my dad from eating leftover papas rellenas filling before dinner was ready, after my mum had remarked it's not every day that he gets fed this well. She was already enamoured with the quinoa, olive and peanut salad and had requested I make it again for my grandparents.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Made the cilantro-lime rice and the tempeh asado last night (to go with salad and the green pumpkin seed mole from Vcon) - yummmmers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am making enchiladas, and I think I may have gone way overboard in the heat dept. Oops!

(I will eat them anyway.)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Last night we had a Mexican pot luck/movie night (we watched Machete) and I made the potato-chickpea enchiladas (one of our favourites), the creamy corn empanadas and the alfajores. Those empanadas are amazing, definitely one of my new top recipes from this book. It took a lot of restraint for me not to just eat all of the filling straight out of the pot.

The alfajores were super good too, but pretty messy. The filling was really thick, but it leaked out of most of them, even after I stored them in the fridge. I'm not really sure where I went wrong.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Made the quinoa/olive/etc. salad for a potluck tonight. It was delicious, and I got a bunch of compliments on it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Erinnerung wrote:
The alfajores were super good too, but pretty messy. The filling was really thick, but it leaked out of most of them, even after I stored them in the fridge. I'm not really sure where I went wrong.

This happens to me all the time when I make them too, and I've made them several times. I think they're just best assembled right before eating, but I always assemble them ahead anyway and the caramel does leak out. They're my favorite cookies!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finally made the orange mojo tofu last night. You were all right! It's great.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hadn't used this book in far too long so yesterday I made the chimichurri sauce and used it on mushrooms instead of tofu and I did some of the Mexican street corn, YUM.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 am 
ol' garly cooch

Everything I've made has rocked. I'm pretty sure I could live on an IV drip of Aji sauce for the rest of my life. I REALLY liked the potato/poblano casserole w/pine nut crema. The cuban sammiches were also tres boss.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i seriously don't use this book enough - the mere thought of it makes me happy. i think i'm pouting because i can't eat gluten anymore.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Appi, I have no problems with Viva Vegan & being gluten free. Most of the recipes are gf and if they include seitan I sub in mushrooms but I am thinking of making some gf seitan. All of the beans and rice are easy, the arepas, tamales, salads & soups. It would just be the wheat based empanadas/tortillas and the seitan that you wouldn't be able to make but you can use corn tortillas and the corn dough for the empanadas. Which recipes do you really want to make?

I've decided I will make all 200 recipes (I'm up to 62) but I will have issues with the 2 seitan recipes, obviously mine will be gf and a lot different and the drinks that include alcohol, particularly the sangria, due to the red wine and the one that involves beer because I can't stand either of them.

This week I made the seitan saltado with portobello mushrooms, it was SO good and it made heaps so I have been enjoying leftovers. I also made the black bean-corn salsa salad with fresh gazpacho salsa dressing, really nice and fresh. And the alfajores but gluten free and soy free, I could just eat the dulce de leche filling on it's own, delicious!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Kitteh wrote:
I've decided I will make all 200 recipes

Woot! Cookbook-mania! I can't wait to hear about it. :)

As a gluten-consumer, I must ask... how does one make GF seitan that you mentioned?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

dimsimkitty wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
I've decided I will make all 200 recipes

Woot! Cookbook-mania! I can't wait to hear about it. :)

As a gluten-consumer, I must ask... how does one make GF seitan that you mentioned?

I was wondering the same thing, apparently it is possible. I did a google search:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4509

http://www.meatandeggfree.com/gluten-free-seitan.html

http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-cooki ... ten/472515

kitteh, I'd love to know which recipe you use!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've used the wellsphere one before and I altered it to make the chorizo too. I might try playing with the recipes in the other link as well as the recipe by deearess that I use for chickpea cutlets. I have no idea what seitan is like in texture so they're probably very different but I'd like to use something else rather than using mushrooms all the time!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

jewbacca wrote:
I REALLY liked the potato/poblano casserole w/pine nut crema.

Is this really spicy? I'm having some friends over for dinner in a couple of weekends and asked them if there was anything they didn't like food-wise and they said "not too hot on the peppers" so I want to check.

I'm considering making that potato/poblano cassarole or the chickpea enchilada cassarole for them methinks...I don't think the enchiladas cassarole is too spicy but if anyone thinks it is could you chime in so I knows...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Is this really spicy? I'm having some friends over for dinner in a couple of weekends and asked them if there was anything they didn't like food-wise and they said "not too hot on the peppers" so I want to check.

I'm considering making that potato/poblano cassarole or the chickpea enchilada cassarole for them methinks...I don't think the enchiladas cassarole is too spicy but if anyone thinks it is could you chime in so I knows...

The chickpea enchiladas are fantastic and not too spicy at all, you friends will love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:53 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

kitteh - i know it's doesnt matter in most of the book, but the first recipe i made was the one with the pic in the middle - the yellow rice with the beans and teh seitan - and it was so magical and perfect :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kitteh wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

The chickpea enchiladas are fantastic and not too spicy at all, you friends will love it.

thanks!!!! I cannot wait!!!!!!! I've always wanted to make them but tomatillos aren't that easy to find fresh at my local supermarkets. I'm making a special trip to the downtown market the weekend of the dinner to get them though.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the chickpea enchiladas a couple of weeks ago for some friends and one of them found it too spicy, but she's super sensitive to that kind of thing. Personally, I can't even tell that it has chillies in it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
kitteh - i know it's doesnt matter in most of the book, but the first recipe i made was the one with the pic in the middle - the yellow rice with the beans and teh seitan - and it was so magical and perfect :)

I don't think I've tried arroz con seitan but I bet it's delicious!

Over the weekend I made the eggplant torta using gf bread rolls & the spinach, Brazil nut gazpacho salad, they made a delicious lunch.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I took a bit of a risk and decided to make the Venezuelan black beans in a slowcooker, and it worked! so happy. Basically, I cooked 1 lb. dried, unsoaked black beans in 6 cups of water on high for 4.5 hours...I was planning on cooking for 6 'cause thats how I usually do pintos, but checked at 4.5 and they were just-done. Then I added the sofrito, tomatoes and panela and cooked an additional 2 hours. They were amazing, the liquid is sooo yummy and the beans are creamy but still firm-ish. My very omni dad really liked them on top of the yellow garlic rice. For the same meal, I did the roasted stuffed plantains and they were delicious; I'm not sure if they were supposed to get really soft because they didn't, but my bf and I didn't mind although my dad didn't seem that into them (not even sure he likes plantains anyway.) I am stoked to eat leftovers of all of this!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Erinnerung wrote:
I made the chickpea enchiladas a couple of weeks ago for some friends and one of them found it too spicy, but she's super sensitive to that kind of thing. Personally, I can't even tell that it has chillies in it.

Thanks! I wouldn't say my guest is uber sensitive, but just not overboard with the peppery spice. I looked over the recipe and it doesn't look too spicy--only calls for two jalapenos heat-wise, and I'll use two small ones and de-seed them so there's just a bite of hot zest in the dish. I've really been looking forward to making those enchiladas. PPKers are always saying how delicious they are.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The latin tofu is seriously good!! I was licking the marinade bowl. I can't wait to make more things.

Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next