| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The other night I made the quinotto with button mushrooms instead of oyster, woh! I want to eat quinotto all the time now.

And then I made the black-eyed-butternut tostadas plus the fresh tomato salad with roasted chillis (I used chipotle) - this was such a good combination. I don't really enjoy pumpkin but because it was all mixed in I didn't mind it and it was one of those meals where I felt so satisfied afterwards. I leftovers for lunch :D

I also made the chilli-lime vegetables but instead of beer I used vege stock plus I added nopalitos, I really liked them and it made a great side dish with the tostadas.

Audrey wrote:
I am stoked to eat leftovers of all of this!

This is always the best part, cooking from this book for dinner and knowing I get to eat leftovers for lunch!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Zesty mojo baked tofu
Need I say more?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Dude....SO, I kinda cheated and did some "intense googling" when I saw a mouth-watering picture of the Venezualan-style Black Beans and Yellow Rice with Garlic on amazon. I haven't ordered my copy yet due to finances...

So, I soaked mah beans according to the Veganomicon and made use of what I had to make both recipes.

I didn't have everything to make a basic onion pepper sofritos....so I just used 1 chopped vidalia, half cup medium salsa, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp veg broth base, and 1 cup bean broth (I halved the recipe in theory). I pureed it in the food proccessor...did everything else by the book but I forgot the brown sugar. I'm sure it would have made it even better.

To make the rice I used Brown Jasmine Rice. I minced...or rather, had hubby mince...4 cloves garlic and satueed in EVOO with...drumroll...1 packet Goya's Coriander and Annatto seasoning with 3 dashes tumeric. Then added veggie broth and rice...

WOW. This was so yum...I have always been a huge fan of Latin food and especially beans and rice...but this was amazing. The TJ Brown Jasmine Rice was nice and tender too....cuz you know brown rice can be so tricky.

I had the seasoning packet hanging out from way back when my friend gave me a recipe to make pigeon beans...but it came out not tasting like I thought it would to me so I never made it again. SO MANY USES!

A win across the board with my whole family!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love this book. It is so awesome, but Amazon keeps asking me to sell it. I won't do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm gearing up to make the potato chickpea enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, the mango jicama salad and cilantro rice as sides for my dinner party this weekend. I just wrote up my grocery shopping list for the menu last night. Can't wait for the feast!

I served this same group the coconut tres leches cake as dessert last year and it was a huge hit! Man, that cake is good. I'm making another dessert this year for variety sake but I have to make the tres leches again this summer on another occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Arepas+green onion salsa+my own concoction of black beans/cremini mushrooms/taco seasoning*=swoon

*Cooked the mushrooms first, then added the beans and mashed up some of them, added water and seasoning and then cooked down to reach refried beans consistency

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the Chilean corn pie over the long weekend and tripled the recipe for a dinner party so that I would have some left over for the next day. So awesome! It was so good that we spontaneously invited more people over the next day to enjoy it all over again. I served it with a salad with that Cilantro Lime dressing which was so light, tangy and delish!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Last week I made the Cuban black bean soup, it made a lot so I enjoyed leftovers for days. And the Peruvian potatoes with spicy "cheezy" sauce, this is the only meal I haven't loved but that's because I really don't like nooch and it's a main ingredient in the sauce but I still ate it all over a few days.

We had our parents over for lunch yesterday so I made the tomato salad with sweet crisp onions which was lovely and refreshing, the Peruvian skewers with button mushrooms instead of seitan, they were great and everyone seemed to like them too and the real brown sugar limeade which was delicious! My dad wants the recipe. It was pretty cold yesterday so I can only imagine that it would be even better in summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 am 
WELFARIST!

My dinner came out fantastic! The chickpea potato enchiladas with the cilantro lime rice and mango jicama salad was a big hit. Yum!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the arroz con seitan tonight and it was amazing! It was a lot like how my Puerto Rican grandmother used to make arroz con pollo. My brother had some and he said i outdid myself haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Millenijen wrote:
I made the Chilean corn pie over the long weekend and tripled the recipe for a dinner party so that I would have some left over for the next day. So awesome! It was so good that we spontaneously invited more people over the next day to enjoy it all over again. I served it with a salad with that Cilantro Lime dressing which was so light, tangy and delish!

So glad you enjoyed the pie! I love that recipe, pretty excited you made a huge batch for a dinner party.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the corn empanadas and arroz con seitan a few weeks ago when my parents were over. They loved them so much that my mum wrote down the recipes so she can make them to impress her friends. And they both love seitan now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the arroz con seitan a couple nights ago, but i couldnt find my annato seeds. i was very sad...but i added some saffron (hoping to get a yellowish color, which it didnt) and some chilli. It still tasted really really good! and it was pretty easy to make. lots of leftovers, they will make great burritos this weekend. will make sure to get more annato seeds and try again.

I also had my first real success with seitan. I have made it a bunch of times before, but the consistancy was always kinda mushy. this time it came out PERFECT. i think using really cold broth is the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Terry wrote:
Millenijen wrote:

So glad you enjoyed the pie! I love that recipe, pretty excited you made a huge batch for a dinner party.
Can you guys tell me what recipe you're tallking about here? I went to get my book, wanting to make whatof you speak, scanned the index, all the corn recipes and the table of contents and don't see anything entitled "Chilean Corn Pie" in the book. Do you mean the corn-crusted tempeh pot pie (which I've already tried and is indeed delish!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Gallo Pinto is the tastiest rice and beans ever! I used Isa's tip for substituting the Worcestershire sauce and served it with a side of fried plantain plus some cucumber and tomato since it's summer (and plenty of hot sauce of course).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:43 pm 

I made the chorizo and it came out really badly, like eating raw, squidgy dough. The flavour was fantastic, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. I even cooked it another 20 minutes and it was better but not good. I've never made seitan before, so i'm 100% sure it was my screw-up. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

thegentlelentil wrote:
I made the chorizo and it came out really badly, like eating raw, squidgy dough. The flavour was fantastic, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. I even cooked it another 20 minutes and it was better but not good. I've never made seitan before, so i'm 100% sure it was my screw-up. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Did you use the gluten from the low carb store? That's the one I use and find it works well. Or were you using some other UK gluten?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

seitanicverses wrote:
Terry wrote:
Millenijen wrote:

Can you guys tell me what recipe you're tallking about here? I went to get my book, wanting to make whatof you speak, scanned the index, all the corn recipes and the table of contents and don't see anything entitled "Chilean Corn Pie" in the book. Do you mean the corn-crusted tempeh pot pie (which I've already tried and is indeed delish!)

Yes, that's the one!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 am 
Naked Under Apron

The Avocado/Palm Heart Ceviche is one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 am 

matwinser wrote:
The Avocado/Palm Heart Ceviche is one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life!

Where did you get your palm hearts????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 am 
WELFARIST!

I caved! I've been trying not to (and successfully up to this point) buy any new cookbooks for a number of reasons and my plan was to just borrow them from the library. Well, I've been wanting this book so badly and for so long, been hearing people raving about it, had one of the seitan recipes at my friends house and then finally I saw it on Amazon Used for a great price and bought it. I can't wait for it to get here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 am 
WELFARIST!

Millenijen wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Millenijen wrote:

Yes, that's the one!

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:03 pm 

Efcliz wrote:
thegentlelentil wrote:

Did you use the gluten from the low carb store? That's the one I use and find it works well. Or were you using some other UK gluten?

Nah, my dad went to california earlier this year and I asked him to pick some up from wholefoods, bobs red mill I think

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:34 am 

Oh, then that is weird!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

thegentlelentil wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
thegentlelentil wrote:

Nah, my dad went to california earlier this year and I asked him to pick some up from wholefoods, bobs red mill I think

Yeah, not sure what happened. You baked it for an hour or more at the correct temp? Wrapped in foil, but not too tightly?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next