| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:48 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

That's awesome deearess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kitteh wrote:
I had friends over last night, I made tofu and mushroom chicharones (tofu for them, mushies for me) - WOW, I want to eat these every day. I made the calabicitas too, that was great and the green onion salsa and we made tacos with tortillas. Oh and I made the sangria but non-alcoholic.

What did you use for the sangria??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:19 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Every time I think I have a favorite recipe from VV, I go and make a new dish which then becomes my new favorite. Everything I've made so far has been fantastic, and a huge hit w/omnis(always a plus for me).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been wanting to make the Guatita forever and finally got around to it last night. It is SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

This book just came in the mail yesterday. What should I make first?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Gallo Pinto and classic cabbage salad is pretty easy and is one of my favorites. Especially good served with tortilla chips and hot sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

zwingtip wrote:

Arroz con seitan with homeade sofrito and white seitan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

dimsimkitty wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
I had friends over last night, I made tofu and mushroom chicharones (tofu for them, mushies for me) - WOW, I want to eat these every day. I made the calabicitas too, that was great and the green onion salsa and we made tacos with tortillas. Oh and I made the sangria but non-alcoholic.

What did you use for the sangria??

I used this recipe as a base but instead of the main product she used I used grape juice and it was nice! I really dislike red wine so I just couldn't make the sangria in the book :/

zwingtip wrote:

What about the guatita, black-eyed butternut tostadas, enchiladas, arepas, pupusas, asado, chicharones, green posole, red posole.. or anything else because it's ALL good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Shortly after I got this book, I made tempeh asado (NOM!), and then nothing ever again. This weekend I went on a mostly-VV cooking bender.

I made:
sofrito
steamed red seitan
red chile sauce
double batch of curdito
chile chocolate mole sauce
seitan red chile tamales
black bean & sweet potato tamales
tempeh sofrito

and the mole sauce + veggies are mixed & waiting in the fridge to become mole tamales. The tempeh sofrito is going in yet MORE tamales.

(I also made spaghetti nos and coffee chip muffins. IT IS POSSIBLE I HAVE LOST MY MIND.)

I cooked all day saturday and all day sunday and was totally exhausted. Tamales were supposed to be my work lunches all week, but I've ended up getting free lunch all week at a workshop plus going out to dinner with a friend who had a rough day, so I didn't get to eat any of it until tonight!

OMG TAMALES. AHHHHHH.

I have a freezer full of tempeh sofrito and sofrito and red chile sauce and mole sauce AND tamales. Oh and I have more black bean/sweet potato fillings too.

But I don't recommend trying to make everything in one marathon like I did. I am stupid. Make a sauce or seitan or something here and there and stash away, then dedicate a day to tamale dough & wrapping. Also, don't decide you are going to make 4 different flavors of tamales all at once the first time in your life you have ever made tamales, like a crazy person.

But OMG MAKE TAMALES. I suck at wrapping them but they are super forgiving. Only one exploded and after they cooled it didn't even fall apart really. MAGICAL.

The red chile ones are crazy delicious amazing. The black bean and sweet potato are also good but... I don't know if I just put in a lot of chipotle or what, but they are holy ballz hell damn hot! (I am generally a total spice wimp, though, so it might just be me. I think Mr. Spork wants to marry them.)

The curdito is good, but I think I put in too much oregano. Next time I think I'll add a touch of citrus or maybe sweet something for a more sweet & sour type slaw.

Oh I'm totally making pickled onions when I finish the rest of my tamales, too.

Do you guys find the red seitan to be very soft/wet dough? the final seitan is very tender, almost soft. It's good, I was just surprised how wet the dough was. It steamed up fine, and chilled overnight before I used it so it did firm up a bit. I was wondering if I somehow overdid the wet ingredients or if it's supposed to be like that.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Mack the Spork wrote:
Do you guys find the red seitan to be very soft/wet dough? the final seitan is very tender, almost soft. It's good, I was just surprised how wet the dough was. It steamed up fine, and chilled overnight before I used it so it did firm up a bit. I was wondering if I somehow overdid the wet ingredients or if it's supposed to be like that.

never mind! I see Terry answered this, like, 6 months ago. derp. nothing to see here...

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think I need to cook through this book.

I've only made some of the lime rice and orange rice dishes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mack the Spork wrote:
Shortly after I got this book, I made tempeh asado (NOM!), and then nothing ever again. This weekend I went on a mostly-VV cooking bender.

Sounds like fun!

I made the quinoa-corn chowder last week, very filling and good for winter. And I found frozen cassava (yuca) so I am planning on making yuca frita sometime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

Kitteh wrote:
And I found frozen cassava (yuca) so I am planning on making yuca frita sometime soon.

There was a grocery store I'd frequent where I'd pick up frozen yuca chunks so I could make the yuca with mojo garlic sauce which I love to eat along with the orange mojo tofu on a regular basis and have been completely bummed to realize they recently stopped carrying it. Why?! Now, I need a new source for frozen yuca as I really hate peeling and cutting them, they're pretty tough, but I'll do it in a pinch. Anyway, I need a new source for the frozen, peeled chunks, since that's one of my favorite meals and I'm even willing to make it during the week because with the frozen yuca it's a quick prep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the Cuban black bean soup and the cabbage salad last night. The soup was pretty good, had it ladled over some brown rice. I did add extra spice because that's how I roll. The cabbage salad was so-so for me, but I think that's because I'm just not that big of a fan of cabbage.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Had the pigeon peas and rice tonight, except I didn`t have pigeon peas so I used kidney beans (and added some leftover red seitan) - super good!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made tamales this weekend, the black bean and sweet potato recipe. I had never had a tamale before, and I probably never would have as an omni, thank you veganism for broadening my horizons. They were uh-MAAAY-zing!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

i am in the process of making red chili seitan tamales today (i've made my seitan, just about to make a batch of red chili sauce), also having never ever had a tamale in my life! hopefully it'll all work out just fine...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Making the Gallo Pinto with added kale and radish for a quick dinner - god I love this recipe! I think I use this and the cilantro-lime rice more than any others in the book, they're so handy. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

xherbivorex wrote:
i am in the process of making red chili seitan tamales today (i've made my seitan, just about to make a batch of red chili sauce), also having never ever had a tamale in my life! hopefully it'll all work out just fine...

yep. they worked out fine. well, actually better than that- these things are fantastic! cidersmurfette and I shared a couple of them during an 8 mile hike in the Peak District yesterday, then we split the rest for me to have today at home and her to take to work for her tea, but i suspect these will be getting made pretty frequently from now on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

seitanicverses wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
And I found frozen cassava (yuca) so I am planning on making yuca frita sometime soon.

There was a grocery store I'd frequent where I'd pick up frozen yuca chunks so I could make the yuca with mojo garlic sauce which I love to eat along with the orange mojo tofu on a regular basis and have been completely bummed to realize they recently stopped carrying it. Why?! Now, I need a new source for frozen yuca as I really hate peeling and cutting them, they're pretty tough, but I'll do it in a pinch. Anyway, I need a new source for the frozen, peeled chunks, since that's one of my favorite meals and I'm even willing to make it during the week because with the frozen yuca it's a quick prep.

I hope you can find some. This is the first time I've ever found frozen cassava, it's not easy to find here and it's even harder to find fresh!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kitteh wrote:
I hope you can find some. This is the first time I've ever found frozen cassava, it's not easy to find here and it's even harder to find fresh!

I'm lucky that I have a place near me that generally has frozen cassava. I've never, ever seen it fresh here. When I was in the latin grocery stores on my US trip I was tempted to strap some to my body and try and make it through customs on the way home, but I didn't want to end up on that TV show. ;)

I have a hot tip on a place I can get fresh tomatillos in Brisbane! Next Saturday off I will try and see if I can get some. I've only ever had access to the tinned ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

dimsimkitty wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I'm lucky that I have a place near me that generally has frozen cassava. I've never, ever seen it fresh here. When I was in the latin grocery stores on my US trip I was tempted to strap some to my body and try and make it through customs on the way home, but I didn't want to end up on that TV show. ;)

I have a hot tip on a place I can get fresh tomatillos in Brisbane! Next Saturday off I will try and see if I can get some. I've only ever had access to the tinned ones.

Fresh tomatillos at the farmer's market on wednesday's in the cbd!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

dimsimkitty wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

:O Lucky ducks! I have plans to grow some otherwise it's tinned for me, maybe I should move to Qld with you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kitteh wrote:
dimsimkitty wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

:O Lucky ducks! I have plans to grow some otherwise it's tinned for me, maybe I should move to Qld with you guys.

Yes, that last one. Move here! Then I can come over for Viva Vegan dinner parties!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:43 am 
WELFARIST!

I get irrationally excited when I see fresh tomatillos!

Tonight, I'm making the Columbian Red Beans (hope I got the recipe name right--it's the small red beans with sofrito, plantain and carrots), yellow garlic rice and the swiss chard recipe for dinner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next