| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the sancocho soup last week. It was a nice, hearty soup with lots of flavour but I didn't love it.

Last night I made the chipotle, potato tacos with mushies instead of seitan - YUM! I have leftovers for lunch, lucky me :)

dimsimkitty wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
:O Lucky ducks! I have plans to grow some otherwise it's tinned for me, maybe I should move to Qld with you guys.

Yes, that last one. Move here! Then I can come over for Viva Vegan dinner parties!

That would be SO much fun!

seitanicverses wrote:
Tonight, I'm making the Columbian Red Beans (hope I got the recipe name right--it's the small red beans with sofrito, plantain and carrots), yellow garlic rice and the swiss chard recipe for dinner.

I really liked the red beans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

made the red posole last night - it was super good! The hominy had me a bit scared, but I ended up really liking the chewiness it added. Topped off my bowl with some crushed tortilla chips, romaine, cherry tomatoes, and a wee bit of zucchini.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made tamales last night! I made like 100 million mistakes but oh hot damn were they good! We made an improvised, clean out Vegimator's fridge cause he's moving filling: soyrizo, potatoes, zucchini, carrots, cilantro, peppers, onions, and mushrooms! Sooooo good with some guac on top. And we made the side street corn to go with it! It was aMAIZEing ha.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I cooked a few meals from Viva Vegan this week. First, I tried the eggplant torta. I used canned vegetarian refried beans instead of making my own, but otherwise followed the recipe. These came out really well. My husband said, "Wow. These are actually really good." (He wasn't sold on the idea of a bean and eggplant sandwich.)

I also made the Mojo Tofu and served it with a side of Arroz Con Coco. I had to sub basmati rice for the long grain white rice (turned out I was out of it), but otherwise followed the recipes. I enjoyed both of these dishes. I love the technique for baking tofu that this book uses -- the chewy texture is great. My only complaint was that the rice recipe seemed to be missing some steps. The ingredient list does not include white pepper or shredded coconut and both of these are mentioned in the recipe steps. I added a few dashes of white pepper and a generous tablespoon of toasted coconut. The pepper seemed about right, but I think I should have added twice as much coconut. I still loved the rice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love the coconut rice too, bcakes

lobsteriffic wrote:
made the red posole last night - it was super good! The hominy had me a bit scared, but I ended up really liking the chewiness it added. Topped off my bowl with some crushed tortilla chips, romaine, cherry tomatoes, and a wee bit of zucchini.

Yum! I was worried the first time I used hominy too but I really like it.

maygles wrote:
It was aMAIZEing ha.

Haha! And now I want tamales.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just made the Colombian grilled arepas with corn and vegan cheese. SO GOOD. I want to try more arepas now!! Definitely the sexy avocado-tempeh ones!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've read Viva vegan from cover to cover about 9 times and only made the guatita and coconut rice (which were both spectacular). So yesterday I made a batch of steamed white seitan, used a quarter batch to go with Mojo Oven Roasted Seitan and packed that into a Cubano Vegano sandwich. I didnt have pickles so i didnt use them, but holy moly, I am eating it right now at work and its the best sandwich ever. I chucked one loaf in the freezer and used the remaining two to make Arroz con Seitan. I had to make so many subs cos my pantry was a bit sparse - red onion for yellow, red pepper for green, corn and broccoli for carrot, diced tomatoes for tomato sauce and no olives since I hate em. I also dont have a dutch oven or enamel pot so I cooked it in a steel one, and it burnt to the bottom really badly. Still, very excited to eat this tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I finally used aji amarillo, I made the yellow grilled tempeh but with portobellos instead, yum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:24 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Aji amarillo is great hey?
EMERGENCY QUESTION: Can I use Harina PAN instead of maseca for tamales? It's all I have :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Veglicious wrote:
EMERGENCY QUESTION: Can I use Harina PAN instead of maseca for tamales? It's all I have :(

I don't think so but I googled it and a few sites listed tamales as a use, try a small batch?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:59 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Actually, I remembered I have some 'corn flour' that I purchased from the Latin grocer, I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff...you can use it for tortillas...gah! I don't know. I'm just reading the book now and it says don't make it with the PAN :( oh well!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

For the annatto-infused oil, the book says, "You may also find ground achiote powder; use 1 teaspoon per tablespoon of oil." Does that mean to just mix the powder and the oil when I'm ready to use it in a recipe, or to heat it and store it like with the seeds?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I tried mixing the annatto powder with the oil at one tablespoon of oil to one teaspoon of powder, and it really didn't work -- it ended up as just oily powder. So, it seems like I've got to use less powder, but then am I supposed to strain it? How? Cheesecloth or something seems right, but I'd think that the cloth might just absorb the oil rather than straining it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Did you heat the oil before adding the powder? If not, heating it might help it to dissolve.

I made the Tropical Pumpkin soup last night, I thought I wouldn't like it because it is pumpkin-based but I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 pm 
Naked Under Apron

No, I didn't heat the oil. I would experiment some more, but my stash of annatto is limited, so I'll wait for a definitive answer from someone who's made the oil with the powder before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I made the Cuban black bean soup a couple nights ago, and it's probably the best black bean soup I've had. It also helps that both of my kids love black beans (and almost any non-killer spicy black bean soup in particular), so it was a dinner without complaints!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Larisa wrote:
For the annatto-infused oil, the book says, "You may also find ground achiote powder; use 1 teaspoon per tablespoon of oil." Does that mean to just mix the powder and the oil when I'm ready to use it in a recipe, or to heat it and store it like with the seeds?

This was my understanding of it, which Terry may correct if I have it wrong, where the recipe says "2 Tablespoons of Annatto infused oil" just use 2 teaspoons of Achiote powder, put in whatever you are making at the same time as the other spices.

This is what I did with the Arroz con Seitan and it was fine.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 am 
ugh

amethyst wrote:
I made the Cuban black bean soup a couple nights ago, and it's probably the best black bean soup I've had. It also helps that both of my kids love black beans (and almost any non-killer spicy black bean soup in particular), so it was a dinner without complaints!

I love this soup so much that I haven't made very many other recipes from the book. They all sound great, but it is like going to a restaurant and trying not to order the same thing when you don't want to risk the new thing not being as awesome as your favorite.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I have the achiote powder too and either just use it straight up (1 tsp in lieu of 1 tbsp of annatto infused oil) and if it's a bit "powdery" and needs a bit of wet, I usually blend it in a bit of oil (I do this when making the yellow rice, for example, heat some oil and powder together and proceed with recipe).

I think I actually prefer the annatto-infused oil between the two so when my powder runs out, I'll just make the oil from here on in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm going Pupusa-crazy. They're super easy and gluten-free. AND I feel like a pro-chef, because I conquered my dough-anxiety with the masa harina flour. Water and salt! It's such a nice break from 4 different flours, baking soda, xanthan gum, blah blah blah.

I read the directions many times and couldn't quite figure out how to shape the pupusas, but I went on YouTube and watched about five different videos, and it seems that just making a small pancake shape (not very wide),adding in the filling, folding the pupusa in half and back into a ball shape before you flatten it works pretty well for a lot of people. So if you're a visual person like me, I'd recommend watching the process on YouTube first.

The curdito cole slaw and tomato sauce are great, but if you're in a rush/lazy, salsa tastes good too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

SuzannaBanana - pupusas are so good! I want to make them again soon.

I forgot to mention, I made the cachapas a month ago and even though I added less sugar, they were way too sweet for me.

Last night I made the potato-kale soup with homemade gf chorizo and I used kale from my garden, I really liked this soup. And now I only have 57 recipes to go!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm making the seitan/mushroom empanadas tomorrow. Debating whether to make the seitan in VV or use the vcon seitan I already have in the fridge. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:15 pm 
ugh

After my last post here I figured I'd better try something new, so I made the Latin baked tofu. It took awhile but it was pretty easy, and very good! I made mine with sofrito con tomate piled on top and guac on the side.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:13 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The other day I made the arepas with corn & cheese plus the carrot jicama salad (I used parsnip) and it was a really good meal.

Today I made the pumpkin and cranberry (borlotti) bean soup, it's really good, I like the addition of spice from the chilli and now I'm done with the soup chapter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Kitteh wrote:
The other day I made the arepas with corn & cheese plus the carrot jicama salad (I used parsnip) and it was a really good meal.

Today I made the pumpkin and cranberry (borlotti) bean soup, it's really good, I like the addition of spice from the chilli and now I'm done with the soup chapter.

I really like arepas (the corn and cheese were the first I tried). I'm so glad this book taught me about them. Thanks for the tip on using parsnip for the jicama salad, we don't get jicama here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next