| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ooh deearess, I just saw your post and I think the salt is just for flavor! I say this just 'cause I forgot to put it in once. I bet you wouldn't have any structural problems or anything.

has anyone made the Drunken Beans? i think it's the last bean recipe I haven't made yet and I'm fixing to soak my beans (I'm actually using "red chili beans" instead of pintos 'cause thats what the Whole Foods bulk section had). Wondering if they will end up too spicy with 2 serranos and all that chorizo. Then again, it is a whole pound of beans!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

mcglynn62 wrote:
Hmm, I can't get yuca for 'Yuca with cuban-garlic-lime-mojo sauce' :( what do you guys think of subbing potato? From what i can gather yuca is starchy so would potato be the closest kinda thing?

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you? Just over the border here Yuca abounds!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Last night for dinner I made the coconut rice (already a favorite around here), refried beans, sweet plantains, and braised kale. We had some tortillas and avocado on the side. This meal was so delicious. I whipped it up in about 40 mins- 1 hour on a weeknight which is usually longer than I want to spend but it was such a comforting meal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I love this book! I bought it right before moving from the US to Denmark, hoping I could cook the recipes to remind me of home (I grew up in the American Southwest). At first it took me a while to find many of the ingredients, not even things that sound so exotic (ie, cilantro/coriander, sweet potatoes, cornmeal), but now this is our most-used cookbook.

Even though we can't get seitan or wheat gluten or any kind of masa here, my family back home sends me chile powders and we have really enjoyed these:

Refried beans
Guatita stew (with chickpeas)
Fresh avocado salsa
corn pancakes
orange mojo tofu
chimichurri tofu

Every time we cook from this book it's like taking a mini-vacation home.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

PSA: I had a ton of leftover Drunken Beans with Chorizo leftover in the freezer and whoa my god I added some sauteed vegetables and a polenta topping and made the TASTIEST tamale pie ever. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I just made the Green Posole and I had to get on here after eating it just to tell everybody how much I loved it! It's awesome, especially with avocado + fresh lime + tortilla chips like she recommends.

I'm not gonna lie though. I did cheat a little. I used a can of crushed tomatillos instead of fresh (I don't know how to pick them out!) and a small can of roasted green chiles to save time. I also used dried corn instead of canned hominy because it was what I had in my pantry. Oh, and frozen spinach instead of fresh chard. But regardless, it was still amazing! I'm looking forward to taking it to work the next couple days.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 pm 
ugh

I made the creamy potato soup with avocado for friends last night, and wow, that was a great decision. The soup is delicious alone but the toppings bring it to a whole new level of awesome.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just made a double batch of the white seitan. it is my favorite seitan ever.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:18 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Question: I'm planning on making the red-chile seitan tamales tomorrow. I was reading through the recipe for the sauce and the ingredients calls for a can of diced tomatoes and the recipe refers to adding the tomato sauce...not sure which to use. If you've made it successfully and could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the Chickpea-Potato Enchiladas with Green Tomatillo Sauce. I used soaked cashews insted of pinenuts and parsley instead of cilantro. So good! Why don't I ever make enchiladas?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I was just looking at that in the index earlier wishing I had tomatillos! Mail-order? I tried growing them once in England, but they never carried any fruit (too cold in the house, I guess), so I gave the rest of my seeds to my mum.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:02 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
I was just looking at that in the index earlier wishing I had tomatillos! Mail-order? I tried growing them once in England, but they never carried any fruit (too cold in the house, I guess), so I gave the rest of my seeds to my mum.

Yep. I used canned ones ordered from here. I also got various chilies, epazote, masa harina, and my beloved Cholula. A bit of an indulgence, but hey I have to eat!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:48 am 

lindseybunny wrote:
Question: I'm planning on making the red-chile seitan tamales tomorrow. I was reading through the recipe for the sauce and the ingredients calls for a can of diced tomatoes and the recipe refers to adding the tomato sauce...not sure which to use. If you've made it successfully and could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, guys!

I made them once. I assumed the ingredients were correct and used diced tomatoes, since you puree it after that anyways.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks!!

mandycoot wrote:
lindseybunny wrote:

I made them once. I assumed the ingredients were correct and used diced tomatoes, since you puree it after that anyways.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Mmm, eating leftovers of the creamy corn-crusted tempeh pot pie. It's SO good. Someone said above that making stuff from this cookbook feels like a mini-vacation and it's so true.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

paprikapapaya wrote:
Mmm, eating leftovers of the creamy corn-crusted tempeh pot pie. It's SO good. Someone said above that making stuff from this cookbook feels like a mini-vacation and it's so true.

That might be my favorite in the book.

Also, I always use canned tomatillos even though their fresh brethren are plentiful here. Who has time to get them out of their jackets and clean off that sticky stuff anyway? Well, I probably have the time but not the energy. I use the fresh ones for stuff that is going to be raw, like salsa, but if it's going to be cooked, always canned.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I folded and got this book. Love it!

Have made the Gallo Pinto - I have tried so many recipes since discovering this stuff in CR last year and its the closest one to what I remember. To be fair I think with out the salsa linzano or it being made by a costa rican or eaten in costa rica, Its never going to be the same.

The orange mojo and chimichurri tofu are to die for. Amazing! There is life beyond coriander.

Trying to get hold of some pan harina for arepa;s; I fell in love with these in Colombia last year as well (it was a good food trip) so can't wait to make these.... and have my eye on so many of the bean recipes... this book is joy!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:29 am 
Ninja Master

I was trying to think of something to do with tempeh to feed a couple of omnis last night so I replaced the tofu in the Orange Mojo Tofu recipe with it. I wasn't sure if it would work but it did, it was awesome and two tempeh virgins liked it too! YAY.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:22 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

fruitbat wrote:
Chipmunk wrote:

Yep. I used canned ones ordered from here. I also got various chilies, epazote, masa harina, and my beloved Cholula. A bit of an indulgence, but hey I have to eat!

Ooh, I am so excited to see that site! I'm in Denmark and have been ordering some products from the UK, but shipping is so expensive--I'm going to try this Swedish one next time!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:28 am 

ScandinaVegan wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
Chipmunk wrote:

Ooh, I am so excited to see that site! I'm in Denmark and have been ordering some products from the UK, but shipping is so expensive--I'm going to try this Swedish one next time!

Not sure if they ship abroad? Shipping is often expensive and if a shop does ship internationally it tends to be killer. Worth checking, though. This particular one has physical shops in Gothenburg and Stockholm, but I'm rarely in either of those cities these days (though I do harass friends going there to bring me back Marmite at least once a year).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

fruitbat wrote:
ScandinaVegan wrote:
fruitbat wrote:

Not sure if they ship abroad? Shipping is often expensive and if a shop does ship internationally it tends to be killer. Worth checking, though. This particular one has physical shops in Gothenburg and Stockholm, but I'm rarely in either of those cities these days (though I do harass friends going there to bring me back Marmite at least once a year).

Ooh, I might have to stock up, but most of the dried chillies seem to be sold out right now. My nearest ICA branch actually sells marmite, albeit in very small jars. I found it when I was looking for mushroom bouillon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a question regarding the Latin Baked Tofu variations: are you supposed to use the peanut sauce/sofrito in addition to or instead of the red marinade? I wasn't sure and couldn't wait 50 minutes for my tofu, so I omitted the red marinade, dumped some sofrito on the tofu and baked it for half an hour - it was good, but I suspect that I should have used the marinade as well?

Also, I made the Peruvian Potatoes with Spicy "Cheezy" Sauce a couple of days ago and I loved, loved, loved them! They don't seem to get much love in this thread, which makes me sad - they are amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've missed this thread!

I made tortillas the other night, it was a lot of fun and I made the choc orange spice cale with dulce de batata again, best cake ever!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Made the Potato Chorizo soup with kale and it's super good. I froze some and am having some for lunch today. I also have two links of leftover chorizo in the freezer and just went grocery shopping and picked up the fixins' for Potato and chorizo taquitos with red chile sauce and refried beans, which I'll make this Canada Day long weekend. And busting out my first pitcher of limeade for the summer season, which is now a tradition for me all through the summer. Yum!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ok, that's it. I can't take it anymore. I'm buying this book!

Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next