| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 am 
WELFARIST!

Do it! It's one of my very favorites!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ohh yes the limeade! I've been drinking that sporadically year-round, in fact while I was pregnant I mixed limeade into a big pitcher with my red raspberry leaf pregnancy tea - it made it more than palatable, thank dog.
my partner made the arroz con pollo again the other day and I love that it makes a gigantic pan full because I'm about to go eat some leftovers right now! he's weird though because he feels like it "has" to have a topping - which I'm pretty sure "real" arroz con pollo never does - so he ate some Tofutti sour cream thinned with lime juice and cilantro on top. It was good but totally unnecessary, there's so many textures etc going on in that dish! love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:51 am 
WELFARIST!

This weekend, I made limeade (^I know, yum, though I haven't mixed it with anything else) and the potato and chorizo taquitos with red chile sauce and refried beans. All delish and totally doable for company. The taquitos are fried and I had one extra one so I stretched the servings out to six but it could also be that I wasn't that hungry last night. This is a great meal, though and I'm looking forward to all the leftovers. Refried beans are not the most attractive food, I will say that. I made with pintos, may try with black next time to see if the visual's better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

By far one of my favourite cookbooks. Latin American food is not readily found here in South Aus, so it's a whole new experience for me. I had a dinner party a couple of weeks ago using recipes from VV & everyone was really excited about things they'd never tried before. I made Arepas for the first time ever & they were absolutely delicious & surprisingly quick & easy (although definitely best eaten fresh & not reheated), the Venezuelan-Style Black Beans, & Potato Pancakes with Peanut Sauce. Served it with a crunchy slaw type salad with homemade chipotle mayo. Everything was great.

I've also made Pupusas, the Brazilian Orange Rice (which I loved & must make again soon), & a bunch of other recipes. I was a little concerned when I first bought the book that I'd have a hard time sourcing ingredients (for example, I've never seen plantains available here), but we're lucky to have a couple of massive food importers who sell all kinds of great stuff, so a trip there set me up with the right kinds of flour, etc.

I really do recommend VV to fellow Australians unfamiliar with Latin American food, for an exciting new food experience! And yes, I must make that limeade!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just got this cookbook last week and read through it last night. So excited to make a bunch of stuff this weekend.

I have a question, but worry I'll sound like an ignorant jerk, ha ha. I really don't like the taste/texture of corn tortillas, so would it be ok to subsitute flour tortillas in any of the recipes featuring corn? I'm thinking specifically of the tortilla casserole. Has anyone tried it like that?

I cannot wait to try the seitan everyone's been raving about too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jenlovesdoggies wrote:
I have a question, but worry I'll sound like an ignorant jerk, ha ha. I really don't like the taste/texture of corn tortillas, so would it be ok to subsitute flour tortillas in any of the recipes featuring corn? I'm thinking specifically of the tortilla casserole. Has anyone tried it like that?

I haven't tried that recipe but I say it'll taste like you used flour tortillas instead of corn. Since that's your preference anyway I say go for it! Corn tortillas are a little hard to find here and they are always a lot more expensive (~2x price of flour tortillas) and I don't really find them to be worth it so I hardly ever use them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The limeade is probably one of my favourite drinks ever. It's so good! I love the dark, rich almost molasses taste you get from piloncillo/panela.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fruitbat wrote:
jenlovesdoggies wrote:

I haven't tried that recipe but I say it'll taste like you used flour tortillas instead of corn. Since that's your preference anyway I say go for it! Corn tortillas are a little hard to find here and they are always a lot more expensive (~2x price of flour tortillas) and I don't really find them to be worth it so I hardly ever use them.

I also hate corn tortillas and have substituted flour in every Latin thing I have made, ever, including that tortilla casserole. It always works fine!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just want to make a basic sandwich (nothing too fancy) so i am going to make my first seitan recipe - the red one or the white one, trying to figure which one myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I've never made the red seitan, but I've made the white countless times. I've tried several recipes, and this one always gives me the best, most consistant results. I use it in pretty much any recipe that calls for seitan (gyros, tacos, jerk seitan, pho, everything). It's delicious and extraordinarily versatile.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Agreed, the white is way more versatile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I could eat arepas with black beans, coleslaw & avocado every single day!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am 
Nailed to the V

jenlovesdoggies wrote:
I have a question, but worry I'll sound like an ignorant jerk, ha ha. I really don't like the taste/texture of corn tortillas, so would it be ok to subsitute flour tortillas in any of the recipes featuring corn?

Have you ever made your own corn tortillas? The texture and taste of a fresh corn tort is nothing like the store bought ones. They are super easy to make (and cheap)...check out youtube videos if your interested.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 am 
WELFARIST!

I've been loving the seitan chorizo sausage from this book lately. Made another batch on the weekend to freeze for quick dinners.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the beans with dominican-style sazon and the latin baked tofu a while ago. It was the first time I've had success with baked tofu! It turned out chewy and super tasty, instead of the rubbery and "raw tofu"-y stuff I've ended up with after previous attempts. The beans were great as well. I haven't cooked much from this book, but now I'm really excited to try some more. Next up is the orange tofu and the caraotas!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:40 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Jonny Guitar wrote:
jenlovesdoggies wrote:
I have a question, but worry I'll sound like an ignorant jerk, ha ha. I really don't like the taste/texture of corn tortillas, so would it be ok to subsitute flour tortillas in any of the recipes featuring corn?

Have you ever made your own corn tortillas? The texture and taste of a fresh corn tort is nothing like the store bought ones. They are super easy to make (and cheap)...check out youtube videos if your interested.

I haven't but thank you for the suggestion. I might give that I try. I know corn is healthier, but I've always preferred flour. Thanks all for the responses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:22 am 
Ninja Master

Has anyone made the fejoida (sp? sorry) without using TVP? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to get to the HFS to buy the chunks before Saturday and I have everything else I need for it. Can I use chickpeas or seitan or something instead?

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I haven't, but i made a different recipe for Feijoada recently that used seitan, and it was great, so i'm sure it would work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:35 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I feel like seitan would be a better choice over chickpeas as a sub. Not that chickpeas wouldn't be all right, too, I just think seitan would be better. I've only tried the feijoada with TVP chunks myself and loved it! I think it's especially grand with the suggested orange Brazilian rice accompaniment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:48 am 
Ninja Master

Thanks guys. I'll make some seitan.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Since I've heard so much positive feedback about them, I made the crepes with caramelised plantains and un-dulce de leche. So good! I probably would have eaten the whole recipe myself if no one had been around to stop me.
I also made a batch of white seitan a couple of months ago and defrosted some last night to throw into some curry udon. It was perfect. I can see why so many people say that it's their favourite seitan! I've only got one small loaf left now so will have to make up another batch soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:16 am 
Saggy Butt

For anyone else who doesn't have access to poblano peppers, I made the roasted poblano casserole and just subbed green bell peppers for the poblanos and it was fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am 
ugh

The buttery cookies with dulce de leche filling were very good. I was lazy about making the cookies and just formed them with my hands, so they weren't quite as nice looking as they could be, but it didn't affect the taste.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I defrosted two servings of the black bean soup for dinner today. Wasn't very impressed after I'd just made it a couple of weeks ago, but now I really loved it. Had it with some avocado. My mother commented that it looked gross, but what does she know about good food? She eats dead chickens ffs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:52 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just made the red chile sauce and it's really really bitter. I used a mix of dried chilles so something ere is probably the culprit. I'm going to be using it in tamales. Do you think it'll come through or will it mellow as it sits? Shall I add something? Has anyone made it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next