| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

emmalv wrote:
Taco night will never be the same for me again. I made the seitan and potato tacos last night, and it was a total game changer. I just wish my omni husband would give seitan a shot. He has no idea what he's missing...

THESE TACOS! We have them about once a month on a weekend night since it gets a little involved with all of the parts. They are my # 1 favorite tacos that I've ever had, homemade or otherwise. This past year my husband picked them as his birthday dinner, despite the fact that we have them so often. I've found I prefer them with sweet potatoes, but with use regulars too if thats all I've got (last month we did them with purple potatoes and that was good). And we always have them with most of the parts - always cashew crema, pickled red onions, avocado and salsa. A few times I made sure to get cabbage too since Terry recommends it, but I never found it added much for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, man, you guys just reminded me I have to make those tacos again soon. SO AWESOME.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I use that marinade for the tacos (only slightly adapted) for either Seitan or Soy Curl Fajitas. So, So good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:09 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

This cookbook needs some more love from me. So, finally, I decided to make the sweet and spicy empanadas with so good, so green sauce. Um, why haven't I used this book more? This was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted! Especially that sauce. Go make it and pour it on everything. Now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I made the potato-kale soup today, but instead of the seitan chorizo sausages I used the tempeh chorizo crumbles from Vegan Eats World. Delicious and easy to make!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:54 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So I've had this book for quite a while, but haven't made a lot from it. Everything always sounds so good, but I find it somewhat intimidating. I suppose it's because I'm not familiar with a lot of the foods. So after reading through this thread, I was inspired to use this book more. I made the sweet potato and black bean tamales the other night. I've never really eaten tamales before, but I am now obsessed with them. I wish I had known how delicious they could be! Also, the refried beans are awesome. I intend to make those regularly from now on.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ShannonLea wrote:
I made the sweet potato and black bean tamales the other night. I've never really eaten tamales before, but I am now obsessed with them. I wish I had known how delicious they could be!

As a native Southern Californian, married into a Mexican family, I have indeed had my share of (pregan) tamales: the good, the bad, and the ugly. While everyone begins placing Christmas tamal orders with so-and-so's friend's mom's neighbor/sister/aunt who "makes the BEST tamales ever!", I have always watched from a distance, because only *one* has ever impressed itself into my memory (sweet corn tamales enjoyed in the heart of Michoacan, Mexico). Most tamales that crossed my path (pregan, of course) have been either too dry, incredibly spicy, drippingly greasy, or with far too much unremarkable masa dough that the filling is completely lost.

Yesterday was tree-trimming Saturday night, and finances have been a bit tight, and we are far overdue for stocking our bare cupboards. However, we did have a fresh bag of Masa Harina (freshness being of utmost importance), and a stick of EB shortening, so I whipped up a batch of homemade butter to use for the Savory Masa Dough.

The dough came together so quickly and easily, and was the perfect consistency for spreading onto parchment (I had no corn husks, so sub'd with parchment sheets and kitchen twine). I used my own fillings (chicken-style pan-crisped soy curls in green enchilada sauce for half the masa, and a sweet corn/canned cream corn/nooch mix for the other half).

I am always hesitant to serve my husband Latin-origin food, because he is VERY picky, having a mom who is an excellent cook; he does not at all like American-ized versions of Mexican food, and despises yellow cheese and canned/store-bought anything. Therefore, with great trepidation, I unwrapped one each of the tamales and plopped them on his plate, drizzled with fresh salsa and homemade sour cream. He took one bite, put down his fork, looked at me, and said, "Oh, honeeeey..." - his code for "you NAILED it!". He could not believe the masa dough - its flavor, texture, perfection. Nor could I! This is something I would actually crave, and look forward to with great delight.

I'd planned to try the corn husk version next time - but honestly, these (steamed in parchment) came out so perfectly, I'm afraid to tinker with success! This may be our Christmas morning breakfast, since I can prep before and steam that morning.

Incroyable!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganVamp wrote:
I'd planned to try the corn husk version next time - but honestly, these (steamed in parchment) came out so perfectly, I'm afraid to tinker with success! This may be our Christmas morning breakfast, since I can prep before and steam that morning.

Quoting myself to say I made a double batch of the savory masa dough for xmas dinner. I had so much chaos in the kitchen, I even screwed up and used baking soda instead of powder (so added in a bit of arrowroot to compensate), but the texture of the masa was still FABULOUS: more like al dente pasta than the dried/crumbly masa I've experienced so often in my pregan days.

I made two kinds: a riff on the the red saucem using soy curls instead of seitan, along with a creamy corn/green chili version. Both were wonderful, topped with fresh salsa and vegan sour cream, and served with saffron rice, coconut-oil refried beans, and potato salad. My omni extended family ooh'd and aah'd; my brother (also a native Southern Californian) marveled at how authentic the meal was, pressing me to make these cholesterol-free tamales and sell them at a farmer's market!

SCORE! This tamal dough is so simple and so darn good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:51 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Chickpea and Potato Enchiladas for the first time in forever yesterday. Man, I forgot how good they were! I also forgot to double the Tomatillo sauce.....boo. That sauce is excellent, and I think that it needs a double batch fo sho.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just made tamales for the first time! My bff was visiting me in the Netherlands for the holidays and we decided to make tamales on new year's eve. I had never made them, but she had made them numerous times. It was way easier than I thought it would be!

I went with the sweet potato black bean filling, but modified it a bit with black eye peas and kale for NYE. I also mixed some lime and EB in the mashed sweet potato and mixed it all together with the filling.

I can't get masa harina in the Netherlands, but I got some other sort of masa from Colombia. It didn't firm up as much as the proper masa, according to my friend, but it was a fine substitute. I loved them. They were so comforting and filling!

And I have 16 tamales in the freezer just waiting to turn into my lunch for the next two weeks. I'm so happy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

pickledtreats wrote:
I just made tamales for the first time! My bff was visiting me in the Netherlands for the holidays and we decided to make tamales on new year's eve. I had never made them, but she had made them numerous times. It was way easier than I thought it would be!

I can't get masa harina in the Netherlands, but I got some other sort of masa from Colombia. It didn't firm up as much as the proper masa, according to my friend, but it was a fine substitute. I loved them. They were so comforting and filling!

And I have 16 tamales in the freezer just waiting to turn into my lunch for the next two weeks. I'm so happy!

Whoo hoo! That dough is so darn good! And even though I am using Masa Harina (Maseca/standard brand in all the Mexican food stores in CA), I find this dough to be a bit more firm-cooked-pasta consistency, than the drier/breadier/more crumbly dough in lard-based tamales. And I MUCH prefer it! (So does my mom, who has enjoyed two different batches from my kitchen and raved about both.)

Enjoy those lunches! ☺

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got this book for Christmas and tried out the chorizo sausages first. The dough was indeed very wet but they came out good and tender after I let them set in the fridge overnight. I didn't dare to use chili and cayenne as liberally as the recipe said but they were still very flavorful. I don't know which ones I like better, these or Vegan Brunch's chorizo... both are fab!

Then we used some of the chorizo for the chorizo & potato taquitos. I found them very bland, ok dipped in a medium salsa but unfortunately not super delicious. Next I'd love to try the mushroom ceviche, some of the bean dishes and plantain recipes. I've only had plantains once and I think they were unripe and tasted wood-y and horrid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yesterday was National Chocolate Cake Day, and to celebrate we made the Chocolate Orange Spice Cake with Dulce de Batata. I shiitake you not, the best cake of my life. SOOOOOO good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:22 am 
WELFARIST!

kidsdoc wrote:
Yesterday was National Chocolate Cake Day, and to celebrate we made the Chocolate Orange Spice Cake with Dulce de Batata. I shiitake you not, the best cake of my life. SOOOOOO good.

I've always wanted to make this. Just waiting for the right occasion! I think I might make cupcakes of it...

Just to say I tried the classic or simple cabbage salad (the one with just cabbage, tomato and carrots) with the citrus-lime vinaigrette and it's super simple and super yum. I can just keep it in my fridge all week and gnaw on it as marinated cabbage keeps well for a few days in the fridge. I don't even like cabbage all that much. This week, I'm eating this vinaigrette coleslaw with the seitan potato chipotle tacos, and yellow garlic rice and then the Columbian Lentil Rice from VEW.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:06 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the oven roasted mojo tofu today. It's been a long while since I've made it and I had forgotten how fantastic it is. I really need to use this book more often. It's a gem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Just got this book and decided to make some basic staples (that are also budget friendly). Latin Baked Tofu is very good! I used frozen tofu, so I didn't have to press - just squeezed out the water, which saved some time. I have been a little stuck on the Italian baked tofu from Vcon, so this is a nice change. The Pan-Grilled Vegetables in Chili-Lime beer were also simple and tasty. I did set my smoke alarm off by using my grill pan, but it was worth it. They definitely have that smoky grilled taste to them. I used zucchini and asparagus. My only issue was that it took a little longer than I'd normally like, since not a lot of veggies fit on the grill pan. I'll definitely use the marinade to grill some veggies outdoors once it warms up. Finally, I made the Amaranth Polenta with Roasted Chiles because I happened to have some amaranth kicking around that I don't know how else to use and was able to find a poblano at the store. I don't have a gas stove, so I roasted it under the broiler - it worked just fine. It's a little more involved than a regular polenta because the amaranth has to cook longer ahead of time, but still weeknight doable. I like the flavor of the roasted chiles and lime, and the amaranth adds a nice texture that polenta doesn't normally have. So a basic, but good introduction to this book! I just realized that I randomly have annatto seeds, so I'll be making that oil and using it for things next!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Have had this book for awhile but finally giving it some love. I think that I'm going to always have my fridge stocked with sofrito from now on. Such a good base.

Made the sweet potatoe black bean tamales last night. I realized it was the 1st time I've ever been able to try a tamale. Sooo good. I think I made them way to big/have to rig a better steaming apparatus cause it took hours for them to steam. Have 3 dozen in the freezer though so it was worth it.

Can't wait to try to some different seitan recipes. Think that I'm going to try to cook my way through this book this spring/summer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Last night I made the arepas and the tofu chicharrones. I think I messed up on the arepas. They were okay. I'll try them again. But the chicharrones, so good! Addictive even. I couldn't stop eating them while I was cooking the arepas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

allularpunk wrote:
I happened to have some amaranth kicking around that I don't know how else to use

Lol, same here. I should look up that recipe!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:09 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hi everyone!

Wondering if any of you have tried the churros recipe, but baked instead of fried?

I understand that the whole point of churros is that they are fried, but I would love it if that possibility actually yields yummy results too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the Drunken Beans with Seitan Chorizo yesterday. Super tasty (and deliciously boozy) bean dish! Also made the yellow garlic rice to go alongside, which I've made a zillion times and is probably my standby rice dish for any sort of bean/taco plate and the classic cabbage salad. Super yums all around!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:46 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I have two weeks off from work and one of my goals is to make recipes that have always intrigued me but that I felt like I "didn't have time" to make. I am so happy to read all these good reviews of the tamales! I wonder how long they will stay good in the freezer? I've had this cookbook since it came out and want to give it some more love.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:42 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I made the baked tofu chimichurri for dinner tonight, along with the island peas and rice from Vegan Eats World, and I have to say, this is the first time my husband has licked the plate when I've made dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the quinoa-corn stew in the slow cooker today - I just added the "cream" (I used soy milk) and vinegar when it was done. SO GOOD!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24