| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Best Homemade Vegan Cheese and Ice Cream Recipes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have the French version of this and tried a few of the cheeses. Some recipes are fermented, others aren't, some use oil, some don't. It is mostly cheese recipes rather than dishes using cheese, but there are either suggestions for incorporating the cheeses to other dishes or variations for different flavors. A few recipes ask for lactofermented tofu (not to be confused with Asian lactofermented tofu), which isn't sold where I live.

My favorite is the kimcheese. It is so, so good. It is a spreadable cheese, and is quick to make because it uses kimchi, which is already fermented, so no need to make rejuvelac. Store-bought kimchi can be used, but a recipe for baechu kimchi is included, which works very well even for a novice like me (but makes a ton).

The fermented cashew cheese is less solid than it looks like in the picture, but makes a good spread with a whipped texture. I liked it plain and with smoked paprika, but the sundried tomatoes and oregano variation was great.

The tofu misozuke is another favorite. It really takes two months to get delicious and creamy. I tried it first after a month, and it was not ready. I'm glad it didn't mold.

The cheesy hummus, using cashew butter and zaathar, is my favorite hummus ever.

The garlic cancoillote is similar to a garlic béchamel. I liked it okay.

I didn't care for the non-fermented fresh cheese log. I like fermented cheeses better.

The mozzarella was very bad: I don't like the gelatinous texture of cheeses made with agar, and it retained all of the disagreeable taste of the vegan yogurt I used.

Château Imaginaire