| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I got this book a week ago. So far I've made the veggie noodle soup (I love the nooch in this!), the tomato soup (good, but a bit too garlicky for me... next time I'll only use 3 cloves and sauté them before putting them in) and the cheezy sandwiches (yum!). My cheese isn't sliceable, though. I don't really mind, but I'm wondering if I maybe didn't cook it long (or hot) enough?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Boyfriend requested the smoky mountain grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner this week. He loves those things- and so do I! He's not even vegan (vegetarian), so I guess it's high praise that he prefers these to 'real' cheese sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried the quick chili and it was horrible. :( My boyfriend felt sick afterwards and we both didn't like the taste, weird because we both love chili!
I just hate spending 10 euros for food and then the recipe doesn't work out nicely..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I tried the quick chili and it was horrible. :( My boyfriend felt sick afterwards and we both didn't like the taste, weird because we both love chili!
I just hate spending 10 euros for food and then the recipe doesn't work out nicely..

that's a bummer :( but everyone has their own tastes. my hubby and I really enjoy it. I wonder if maybe your boyfriend could have a soy allergy and the TVP made him feel ill? But I'd like to add that when we make it we do not use the cocoa powder, I wonder if that's why y'all did not care for its flavor.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh my gosh, I loved that recipe! But yes, we all have our own tastes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We think it was the cumin, to be honest. I did think it was weird to put it in, should probably just not have used it in the first place but I really wanted to follow the recipe (for once...).

I'll try out other recipes for the recipe challenge thing, though! Probably muffins because I like almost all muffins. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Aw bummer! I love that chili and cumin is a pretty standard ingredient. Bookworkb, you should try adding the cocoa. I think its really nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Aw bummer! I love that chili and cumin is a pretty standard ingredient. Bookworkb, you should try adding the cocoa. I think its really nice.

well back in my pre-vegan days hubby & I once made a chili that either had unsweetened cocoa powder in it or unsweetened baker's choc square. neither of us were very fond of the flavor it added, so when it came time to make julie's chili, i knew to leave it out that particular ingredient.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganinBerlin wrote:
We think it was the cumin, to be honest. I did think it was weird to put it in, should probably just not have used it in the first place but I really wanted to follow the recipe (for once...).

I'll try out other recipes for the recipe challenge thing, though! Probably muffins because I like almost all muffins. :D

the banana bread with chocolate chips recipe in julie's book is awesome. really awesome. and just like julie says in the notes, the bread slices freeze and defrost wonderfully. i think i made her pumpkin spice pancakes too, those were great. the brownies are awesome, hubby has requested those for his birthday. i ♥ the chocolate chip cookie recipes in there too. i'm looking forward to this book being a challenge book because i cook the same stuff repeatedly and this will help me try some new recipes!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I should have this in the post on Monday. Looking forward to using it in the cookbook challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Weird! I love cumin, especially in chilli. Even the Aussie "mexican chilli" blends have some cumin in them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erinnerung wrote:
Boyfriend requested the smoky mountain grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner this week. He loves those things- and so do I! He's not even vegan (vegetarian), so I guess it's high praise that he prefers these to 'real' cheese sandwiches.

I *finally* found agar agar powder locally and I plan on making this too! Glad to hear it go high praises!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

those brownies, yeah, they are pretty special.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah, I'm not sure I've ever made a chili without cumin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It arrived yesterday. I hated that I didn't have time to do much more than quickly leaf through it last night while waiting for my night meds to kick in and then while waiting on a medical appointment this morning. I did manage to put tabs in about half the recipes. Going to be hard to whittle it down for the 2 week challenge!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

mattomic wrote:
How amazing are Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes? They turn blah meals into fantastic meals.

Matt, where do you buy Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes in Australia? I'd love to know!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 am 
Nailed to the V

my smokey seitan flopped :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 am 
Saggy Butt

bookwormbethie wrote:
those brownies, yeah, they are pretty special.......

I agree. I've tried a ton of brownie recipes and have to say this is my absolute favorite.

Thanks for the hint too....I should make these again very soon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

VeganinBerlin wrote:

Do you dislike cumin in general? Are you actually using cumin? I know there are a lot of mistranslations happening between English and Swedish (the English cumin is notoriously mistranslated as kummin which is caraway. Spiskummin is the correct translation). Unless my German fail me cumin is Kreuzkümmel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Cumin is indeed called Kreuzkümmel in German. I love cumin! However, I'd also leave out the cocoa powder - I don't really like cocoa powder in chilis.

bookwormbethie wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

I *finally* found agar agar powder locally and I plan on making this too! Glad to hear it go high praises!

When I made the cheeze, I was thinking that it was probably going to be too much for two people and that next time I'd better half the recipe, but it was gone within a few days! It's really, really good and I'll make it again soon.

And damn, those brownies look delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My omni family LOVED the chili from Vegan Diner (even my 17-year-old, who is mostly carnivorous and loves chili on EVERYTHING). Quick and easy! And the cocoa reminds me of my favorite pregan chili I made last summer (I'd never been a chili fan, but that one changed my mind at the time...)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey LittleChicken! I get Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes from The Green Edge (you can order online), and Fundies, my local health food store has them too. LOVE 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm so looking forward to this in the cookbook challenge. I've bookmarked a lot of recipes. I definitely want to make those brownies. They look amazing.

I'm making it my aim to get my hands on some VWG in time for the challenge. I need to make me some seitan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

fruitbat wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

Do you dislike cumin in general? Are you actually using cumin? I know there are a lot of mistranslations happening between English and Swedish (the English cumin is notoriously mistranslated as kummin which is caraway. Spiskummin is the correct translation). Unless my German fail me cumin is Kreuzkümmel.

I use Kreuzkümmel. I like it on potatoes & bread, etc. So I'm not generally apposed to it.

I just checked the German and Norwegian site and it's a bit confusing indeed that these names are so similar...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made the meatloaf and two pepper gravy. I liked the meatloaf flavor a lot, but i did not follow the recipe very well based on the ingredients i had on hand and it came out pretty mushy, but was much better after a few days. I also made the two pepper gravy and this is the only recipe I haven't liked. The chickpea flour taste really stands out to me and I can't taste much else. I ended up adding a bunch of nooch to cover up the chickpea flour flavor and my gravy just tastes like nooch now, which isn't the worst thing ever. But I won't make that recipe again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next