| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm on the chili tonight. I'm very pro adding the cocoa. I haven't made it any other way. This never fails to satisfy. I added a little less chili powder because I have some super strength stuff that blows the mouth off me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The apple coffee cake is currently baking away. I ended up just putting a layer of apples on top, instead of in-between.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Mmmmmm! Welcome back, Veggies & Dumplings!

After another horrendously hot weekend (80º+ to end Nov...!), today has become increasingly windy and coooool (50s, heading to 40s overnight). I am swamped with work and was not planning to cook anything. But the chilly breeze crept thru my open windows, nipped at my flip-flop'd toes, and I immediately yearned for something warm and comforting in a bowl - something I knew would be delicious (no testing/first runs) and could work with what I have on-hand.

While I really enjoyed the Dilly Stew and Rosemary Dumplings in IDI, I have a fond spot in my heart for the Veggies & Dumplings in VD, because it was the first I'd made, and what officially blew my mind that a vegan stew could be this incredible and "like the real thing". I always add the optional soy curls, and they push it over the edge completely.

Such a wonderfully flexible/versatile recipe, too, that easily accommodates subs: I like to sauté my veggies first, but I didn't have any celery or dill, so I threw in some celery seed and a few tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary. Added in two small diced gold potatoes that also needed using, and a load of sliced yellow squash my aunt prepped but forgot to cook for Tgiving. Simmered it all as indicated. Then, too lazy to soak my soy curls, I threw them in after whisking in the flour/soymilk, and just added a bit of extra water and broth powder, and ultimately several grids of salt and pepper.

Lastly, after using rice flour with the soy milk mixture, I combined some GF flours (sorghum, teff, tapioca, potato) to steam up gluten-free dumplings.

Ahhhhh, can't explain the decadence and the "hug" that this stew provides. It's just perfect in every way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This is a great book, I love the BLT salad with the smokey soycurls and the sundried tomato dressing. Yummmm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

questions about veggie & dumplings recipe on page 108.

first: how are the dumplings? do you love them? (does another cookbook have a better dumpling recipe?) i *need* dumplings! and how weird would it be if i just used regular soymilk? whenever i go out of my way to by eden plain unsweetened soymilk, the reest of the container just languishes in the fridge and expires and i don't like wasting money/food like that :(

second: i definitely want to add in the soycurls (variation) but am wondering if (like pasta for soup) i should just cook the soy curls separately and then just add the soy curls to each portion, stashing any extra cooked soy curls in a separate container in the fridge. i fear the soy curls will just get way too super mushy i put them in the leftover veggie/dumpling broth.

likewise, i assume the leftover dumplings should be stored separately too lest they just get super soggy and fall apart in the broth.

third: i also don't use bouillon powder, i make my veg stock from scratch. i assume subbing 6 cups of stock for the 6 cups of water should be fine?

thanks y'all!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've made that recipe a billion times. I don't cook or store anything separately, and nothing gets too soggy or falls apart. I only buy unsweetened milks unless I'm using them for baking nowadays, but when I first started cooking, I didn't realize most milks were sweetened and often used them in savory cooking without noticing, so it's your call, but probably not a big deal.

I use vegetable stock. It's pretty much the same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:28 pm 

Finally got soy curls! I made the smokey soy curls to go on a salad. I keep nibbling on them, hopefully there will be some left by dinnertime.
AND my mom just asked me if bacon was cooking! No mom, it's smokey curls. Better than bacon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:09 pm 

annabazoo wrote:
Finally got soy curls! I made the smokey soy curls to go on a salad. I keep nibbling on them, hopefully there will be some left by dinnertime.
AND my mom just asked me if bacon was cooking! No mom, it's smokey curls. Better than bacon.

The Smoky Curl heavens have opened upon you! Resistance is futile: You will learn to double the batch so you have enough to snack on (or accompany your tofu scramble, or fill into warmed corn tortillas with salsa, or pile onto vegan-mayo'd white bread for a BLT).

Funny, I just went to post on an orange chick'n soy curl recipe I'm devouring as I type. Soy curls are seriously one of my top 5 cannot-live-without vegan items. My omni family is hooked! I prepared a huge basket for my SIL for Xmas, with several jars of soy curls, and a bottle each of soy sauce, veggie broth, agave, and liquid smoke - along with a recipe card for the Smoky Curls she requests each time she visits).

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:00 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

bookwormbethie wrote:
questions about veggie & dumplings recipe on page 108.

first: how are the dumplings? do you love them? (does another cookbook have a better dumpling recipe?) i *need* dumplings! and how weird would it be if i just used regular soymilk? whenever i go out of my way to by eden plain unsweetened soymilk, the reest of the container just languishes in the fridge and expires and i don't like wasting money/food like that :(

second: i definitely want to add in the soycurls (variation) but am wondering if (like pasta for soup) i should just cook the soy curls separately and then just add the soy curls to each portion, stashing any extra cooked soy curls in a separate container in the fridge. i fear the soy curls will just get way too super mushy i put them in the leftover veggie/dumpling broth.

likewise, i assume the leftover dumplings should be stored separately too lest they just get super soggy and fall apart in the broth.

third: i also don't use bouillon powder, i make my veg stock from scratch. i assume subbing 6 cups of stock for the 6 cups of water should be fine?

thanks y'all!

There is no reason to go through all of those additional steps! The dumplings are fluffy and delicious even after being stored in the stew, they make great leftovers. The soy curl addition is awesome, I highly recommend it! I think using regular soy milk will be fine, it will just make the dumplings a bit sweeter and homemade broth would probably be even better than the powder! Hope you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 pm 

VeganVamp wrote:
annabazoo wrote:

The Smoky Curl heavens have opened upon you! Resistance is futile: You will learn to double the batch so you have enough to snack on (or accompany your tofu scramble, or fill into warmed corn tortillas with salsa, or pile onto vegan-mayo'd white bread for a BLT).

Funny, I just went to post on an orange chick'n soy curl recipe I'm devouring as I type. Soy curls are seriously one of my top 5 cannot-live-without vegan items. My omni family is hooked! I prepared a huge basket for my SIL for Xmas, with several jars of soy curls, and a bottle each of soy sauce, veggie broth, agave, and liquid smoke - along with a recipe card for the Smoky Curls she requests each time she visits).

Enjoy!

The problem is that i only bought one bag of soy curls. I already used half of it. I should have bought eight bags.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 am 

annabazoo wrote:
VeganVamp wrote:

The Smoky Curl heavens have opened upon you! Resistance is futile

The problem is that i only bought one bag of soy curls. I already used half of it. I should have bought eight bags.

Ah, yes - I did the same, to start. Now it's a twice yearly order of bulk soy curls! Yes, containers in the freezer for months - but that's how i like it (and sooo much more cost-effective). A hearty meal is only a soak away...

Can't wait to use them in Veggies and Dumplings tomorrow... mmmmm, so amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:51 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Just made the blackberry skillet pie to have with dinner later. I used half raspberries, half blackberries. My intent was to bake in a pie plate since I do not have a cast iron skillet. However there was so much filling that I ended up using a 9x13 pan. I doubled the topping. I snuck a few tastes fresh out of the oven. I'd say its a winner. Some of the topping did sink into the berries, so it's not all crispy but I don't think I will mind. I think it will be delicious with some dairy free vanilla ice cream later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:18 am 
Cranky

jennifer6789 wrote:
Just made the blackberry skillet pie to have with dinner later. I used half raspberries, half blackberries. My intent was to bake in a pie plate since I do not have a cast iron skillet. However there was so much filling that I ended up using a 9x13 pan. I doubled the topping. I snuck a few tastes fresh out of the oven. I'd say its a winner. Some of the topping did sink into the berries, so it's not all crispy but I don't think I will mind. I think it will be delicious with some dairy free vanilla ice cream later.

I make this all the time when blackberries are in season. It's so easy and so tasty!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the rich brown gravy to serve over mashed potatoes. while I did like the taste, it was not "gravy" enough for me. more like a cheese sauce (probably due to all the nooch). I did enjoy it though - I will likely make it again for another use. but for mashed potatoes I prefer a simple roux/veggie broth type of gravy I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:56 pm 

I made the Philly Seitan Sliders for dinner tonight. It was a big hit. The cheezee sauce is incredible. I used the rosemary sammich rolls. GOsh, i love those things. They make any sammich incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 am 
Huffs Nooch

annabazoo wrote:
I made the Philly Seitan Sliders for dinner tonight. It was a big hit. The cheezee sauce is incredible. I used the rosemary sammich rolls. GOsh, i love those things. They make any sammich incredible.

Oooh, I'm planning on making those sliders in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll throw in the rolls too, they sound great!

I made the Soft & Chewy Choc Chip Cookies last night. Delicious, of course. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

annabazoo wrote:

Oohh, I gotta make those rosemary sammich rolls. This book always surprises me with its simple, incredible delights!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:54 am 

I highly recommended the rolls. That and the smoky mountain cheese are recipes i make all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The burger buns are the best - I really love that they only take like 20 min to rise. Fresh homemade buns in an hour, yes please!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Made the smoky soy curls over the weekend. I screwed up the recipe - did not realize it only called for half a bag. By the time I realized it, it was too late to double the rest of the seasonings. However we still LOVED them! I could not keep my fingers out of the pan. I can't wait to make them the right way next time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Pastrami Style Seitan Roast and loved it! It was melt-in-your-mouth tender, super flavorful, and works great with all my St. Patrick's Day-themed foods! I think Julie's seitan recipes are among my very favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

I had the Lotsa Chocolate Pudding last night. I was out of cocoa powder, so I subbed cacao and almond milk instead of soy. It had a lovely deep, dark flavor and was not too sweet. I don't know if the cacao had anything to do with that. It makes a lot as well. Could easily be stretched to 6 servings instead of 4. We ate it warm last night but leftovers will be cold (duh).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have been making the smoky seitan roast over and over, turns out seitan is easy. It always seemed sort of intimidating before. It's delicious, like yummy lunchmeat. One of these days I want to see if I can stick green olives in it to make olive loaf.

Maybe this is more of a general seitan question, but if you cut the recipe in half (or shape it into two loaves instead of one) do you have to cut the cooking time? I'm having problems fitting it in my steamer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is my new favorite cookbook! In the past week, I've made Blueberry Nutmeg muffins, Banana Breakfast Bars, Hearty Chili, and the Basil and Spinach Spread. My husband loves the Blueberry Nutmeg muffins so much that he already wants me to make them again. I'm planning on making the Cinnamon Orange Rolls and the Smoky Curls as soon as the semester is over, and I have the Cheezy Mac on our meal plan for this week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

futurella wrote:
This is my new favorite cookbook! In the past week, I've made Blueberry Nutmeg muffins, Banana Breakfast Bars, Hearty Chili, and the Basil and Spinach Spread. My husband loves the Blueberry Nutmeg muffins so much that he already wants me to make them again. I'm planning on making the Cinnamon Orange Rolls and the Smoky Curls as soon as the semester is over, and I have the Cheezy Mac on our meal plan for this week.

I really like this book too, it's so much fun. I have to admit though, I'm posting 'cuz I am loving your avatar!! :)

Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next