| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:53 am 
Chard Martyr

molly wrote:
Today I'm making the chocolate truffle mint pie. Thin Mints were one of my favorite things in the world, pre-vegan, so I think it will be right up my alley.

Did you love it?! I love that pie so much!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the mac & cheese for dinner tonight and added a half cup of Daiya pepperjack shreds. Holy yum! I think this might become my go to mac & cheese recipe. I cut the smoked paprika down to 1/2 teaspoon because I only like it in small amounts.

I like the creaminess that cashews add to the sauce, and the recipe has just the right amount of nooch. <3

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the crispy chickpea onion rings the other night, so good! I loved that the recipe was a bit different from all the standard ones you see everywhere else, and the seasoning was perfect. This book hasn't let me down yet!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
molly wrote:
Today I'm making the chocolate truffle mint pie. Thin Mints were one of my favorite things in the world, pre-vegan, so I think it will be right up my alley.

Did you love it?! I love that pie so much!

It exceeded my expectations! So great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the veggies with dumplings for dinner tonight (with some variations) and it was really good! Plus it made a lot, so I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:34 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The Diner Granola is the BEST granola I've ever had and we go through a lot of granola/cereal in our house. This morning I added the raw millet as Julie suggested on her website - made the recipe even better.

Using Mihl's speculoos/Spekulatius spice blend instead of the cinnamon makes your taste buds happy happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:06 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

The chili was so good! I like it on the soupier side, and it was a really quick meal, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

Empress wrote:
The chili was so good! I like it on the soupier side, and it was a really quick meal, too.

I almost got the ingredients to make this the other day but then it got too hot out all of a sudden. I will jump on it on the next rainy day we have here. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Great Smoky Mountain Cheeze today. Wow. Blew my mind. I'm going to be eating grilled cheeses all week long.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

For anyone that doesn't have Vegan Diner, I put up the recipe and video for the Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, plus a gluten-free variation. It's on www.everydaydish.tv

Julie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh yeah those cookies are amazing, 'cause they're tasty as hell and very basic, and about 2/3rd the oil of other cookies I make! so for us they are a more frequent treat, though I do find I have to cut the choc chips down a bit because I end up with too many left in the bowl that just won't mix into the batter.

one issue I'm having with the book is that some recipes call for instant yeast and I don't really see that in stores much...sometimes I sub active dry yeast but in those cases, alter the recipe a bit in order to mix the yeast with the liquid. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong there, i.e. does it really matter to the recipe if I don't use instant yeast?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Audrey wrote:
oh yeah those cookies are amazing, 'cause they're tasty as hell and very basic, and about 2/3rd the oil of other cookies I make! so for us they are a more frequent treat, though I do find I have to cut the choc chips down a bit because I end up with too many left in the bowl that just won't mix into the batter.

one issue I'm having with the book is that some recipes call for instant yeast and I don't really see that in stores much...sometimes I sub active dry yeast but in those cases, alter the recipe a bit in order to mix the yeast with the liquid. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong there, i.e. does it really matter to the recipe if I don't use instant yeast?

Thanks! Rapid Rise Yeast is supposed to be almost the same as Instant Yeast. Here in Portland I get instant yeast super cheap at Cash & Carry, which is a restaurant supply type store, open to the public. I think it's about $3 for 1pound of Saf Instant Yeast. The reason I like using instant is that it always gives the dough a great rise, is pretty much fool-proof and you don't have to activate it, just mix it into the dry ingredients.

You should be able to sub regular active dry yeast for the instant. I believe the ratio is 1 tbsp active dry yeast equals 2 tsp instant yeast. You will have to dissolve and activate the yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar though.

Hope that helps.

Julie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know how I ever got through essay-writing season at uni before I had smoky mountain cheese! All I have time to make at the moment is grilled cheeses, but I kind of love having the excuse to eat so many.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:46 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Erinnerung wrote:
I don't know how I ever got through essay-writing season at uni before I had smoky mountain cheese! All I have time to make at the moment is grilled cheeses, but I kind of love having the excuse to eat so many.

I've barely been cooking lately, been eating pretty terribly! I pretty much live at the library. Today I tried really hard not to eat two packets of Oreos.

In other news, I ordered this book!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Veglicious wrote:
I've barely been cooking lately, been eating pretty terribly! I pretty much live at the library. Today I tried really hard not to eat two packets of Oreos.

Haha, I'm 'studying' in bed and there's an empty Oreo packet right next to me. The shame!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

bekki wrote:
For those of you who have made the loaf, what kind of crumbles did you use? I have some Boca ones that really need to get used but the one time I tried them they were so gross I'm terrified of ruining a whole recipe with them.

I used Gimme Lean ground beef style, sauteed for a few minutes and broken up into small pieces, because I didn't have frozen crumbles around. It was great with these.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Very Vanilla Ice Cream. The only thing I changed was the ratio of coconut to soy milk - I used more coconut milk. Came out very tasty!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Did you include the xanthan gum? I want to try her ice creams but I'm not sure where to find that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

molly wrote:
I made the Great Smoky Mountain Cheeze today. Wow. Blew my mind. I'm going to be eating grilled cheeses all week long.

I really want to try this. I just need to remember to get the agar. Do you think that it's kind of low in calories/fat? It looks so good but I am not sure that now is the time. (just started calorie-counting)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

masuphl wrote:
molly wrote:

I really want to try this. I just need to remember to get the agar. Do you think that it's kind of low in calories/fat? It looks so good but I am not sure that now is the time. (just started calorie-counting)

I'm counting calories right now too so I figured it out when I made it! According to the site I use to track, it's about 100 calories for 1/8th of the recipe (which is plenty for one sandwich).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molly wrote:
Did you include the xanthan gum? I want to try her ice creams but I'm not sure where to find that stuff.

Xantham gum just makes ice cream creamier, as far as I'm aware. You can leave it out without any major damage. It's getting easier to find, I used to only be able to get it at the health food store but I saw some in the health food aisle of the supermarket the other day, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, good to know!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The garlic mayo is awesome. I licked it from the spoon, which is gross if you do it with store-bought mayo, but it worked terrific with this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been feeling pretty crappy today so I made the Veggies and Dumplings with two small chickn style cutlets tossed in and it's exactly what I needed. Too bad my husband is anti-dumpling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Erinnerung wrote:
molly wrote:

Xantham gum just makes ice cream creamier, as far as I'm aware. You can leave it out without any major damage. It's getting easier to find, I used to only be able to get it at the health food store but I saw some in the health food aisle of the supermarket the other day, too.

Yeah I've noticed in the grocery stores they've started putting it with the gluten free stuff because people tend to use it in gf cooking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next