| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Made the Soy Curl Bacon and it's so good! Reminds me a lot of Stonewall Jerkquee.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Cheezy Mac in this book is reeeeally good. My husband isn't the biggest fan of nooch and although there is some in the recipe, it was really understated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Everything I have made from this book has either been:

a) My favourite recipe for this ... dish
or b) Almost my favourite recipe for this dish.

Vegan Diner is awesome! The choc chip cookies are fantastic (and surprisingly low in fat), the mac and cheese is delicious, the scrambles are great, the ooey gooey brownies are fantastic, the BBQ sauce is great, the brown gravy is amazing, and that is all I can think of for now. I can't wait to make more. I'm really impressed by this book.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

This weekend I made the Great Smokey Mountain Cheese. Last night, we tried it out as grilled cheese sandwiches. (I added veggie bacon and red onion. No tomato because I have sadly developed a tomoto alergy). Anyway, the sandwiches were really yummy. I think even dairy eaters would like these. The texture of the cheese was nice too. It's thick, but still spreadable. Would be lovely on crackers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I want to make the pastrami today. If I can create a good seitan pastrami my husband's life will be complete. I'm not sure if it will work with my cheap steamer insert though. How big is the loaf?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Skillet Cutlets last night but subbed my own tomato sauce. They were ridiculously good.

And I have yet another double batch of granola just out of the oven.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm 

kasiakoz wrote:
I want to make the pastrami today. If I can create a good seitan pastrami my husband's life will be complete. I'm not sure if it will work with my cheap steamer insert though. How big is the loaf?

Yeah, definitely too big. I'm winging it and trying to bake it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

kasiakoz wrote:
kasiakoz wrote:

Let me know how it works out! My steaming apparatus is also pretty small.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bekki wrote:
I made the Skillet Cutlets last night but subbed my own tomato sauce. They were ridiculously good.

I'm eating them for dinner in 2 hours and I can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

kasiakoz wrote:
kasiakoz wrote:

I'm curious to hear how it bakes. Steaming makes it super tender, and baking can make it kind of dry and tough. I hope it comes out well.

Next time try making smaller mini loaves to fit inside your steamer. It doesn't have to be one huge one.

Good luck!

Julie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 pm 

mattomic wrote:
Everything I have made from this book has either been:

a) My favourite recipe for this ... dish
or b) Almost my favourite recipe for this dish.

Vegan Diner is awesome! The choc chip cookies are fantastic (and surprisingly low in fat), the mac and cheese is delicious, the scrambles are great, the ooey gooey brownies are fantastic, the BBQ sauce is great, the brown gravy is amazing, and that is all I can think of for now. I can't wait to make more. I'm really impressed by this book.

You made my day! Thanks!!

Julie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:34 pm 

The texture of the seitan was pretty good in the oven. I did 350 for about 1:45, wrapped in foil.
i can't say it tasted like pastrami to me, but all seitan seems to taste the same when I make it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:24 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I haven't made anything yet! Not even the cheesy spread but I'll definitely get that one in soon. What do you guys recommend? I'm going to a dinner party/get together on Saturday night and I want to bring something savoury and something sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just ordered it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:09 am 

Reuben for lunch. sooo tasty. The secret sauce is so simple yet so crucial.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't believe how good those panko crusted cutlets are. I'm eating leftovers right now and granted, I'm pretty hungry, but this tastes like the best thing I've ever eaten in my life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 pm 

Tonight I made the Smokey Potato Scramble but I used left over diced pastrami instead of tofu and I added green pepper. The seitan got all brown and crispy and it was delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I checked this out from my library, and I have to say that the seitan recipe is now my go-to. I LOVE the texture, and it is SO EASY. No Kneading! I just sub in other spices for the liquid smoke and smoked paprika to customize the flavors to whatever i need it for that week.

The Skillet baked panko cutlets were amazing as well, although i made them too big the first time. My partner (an omni) loved them, and said it was the best seitan i have ever made. he also liked the above mentioned seitan.

I might buy the book, but to be honest i am trying to lose weight right now, and i dont know if that would be the wisest course of action right now.

It is a really good book.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:02 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the herbed sausage patties last weekend and I was blown away. Best vegan sausage I've ever had! These will be in permanent rotation. I also recently made the banana chocolate chip bread and that was delicious too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just received this cookbook today. SO so excited.
Sounds like those brownies are fantastic!

I love how nice the pictures are. It makes a big difference!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 am 
Naked Under Apron

Smoky mountain cheese kicks asparagus. I love it.

Pot roast is superb and reheats very well (not that I made it on Monday and then ate it all through the week!)

And Melissa's Double Cornbread buns are spectacular!

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Has anyone made the golden pepper gravy? I made it today and wasn't sure all the liquid was right. It had 2 cups of water in that weren't listed in the ingredients list. I know they don't always include water but the gravy on the opposite page did. I kind of ended up eyeballing liquid but I loved the taste of it and wondered if it's right. It has 3 cups of liquid but says it only yields 1 3/4 cups (I know it thickens).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:38 pm 

Efcliz wrote:
Has anyone made the golden pepper gravy? I made it today and wasn't sure all the liquid was right. It had 2 cups of water in that weren't listed in the ingredients list. I know they don't always include water but the gravy on the opposite page did. I kind of ended up eyeballing liquid but I loved the taste of it and wondered if it's right. It has 3 cups of liquid but says it only yields 1 3/4 cups (I know it thickens).

The yield is a typo that I just found the other day. Sorry about that! And yes, the additional water is correct. The publisher wouldn't let me put the water in the list of ingredients. It's just their writing style.

Julie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:32 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

cupcake wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

The yield is a typo that I just found the other day. Sorry about that! And yes, the additional water is correct. The publisher wouldn't let me put the water in the list of ingredients. It's just their writing style.

Julie

Thanks Julie! I did love the flavour. They let you put the water in the gravy on the opposite page though! That's what confused me most.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I bought Vegan Diner a couple of weeks ago, & not only is it the most beautifully designed & photographed vegan cookbook I've seen, it's also swiftly becoming my favourite.

I just made the Smoky Mountain Cheeze today & it is so yummy in a toasted sandwich! By far the best of the vegan cheeses I've ever made - & a squillion times better than any commercial cheeses I've tried, which always seem to taste weird & are either chalky or rubbery in texture.

The only tweak I made (& I shouldn't tweak the first time I make something!) was to add 2 teasp of apple cider vinegar because I like my cheese a little tangy - & I added a blob of cashew butter in at the end just for the hell of it.

(BTW, this is my first post - hello!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 32  Next