| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

IJDI, did you leave out the smoked paprika altogether and just use the regular?

I just got this book from the library and have already decided I need to buy it, and I buy very few cookbooks (and just Isa's sight unseen). I know it sounds daft but I felt tears welling up when I tasted the mac and cheese. I like a number of recipes I already have but this one is so so good, in my tastebuds' opinion, and so easy. I like the smokiness but was wondering if I it would be as good without the smoked paprika, for people who aren't so inclined.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made a few alterations as well, I only used a little bit of the paprika. Basically, I was trying to get the Kraft Dinner taste out of it so I adjusted along those lines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Good god. This thread has made me go and buy this book...trying out my first Kindle e-cookbook! :)

(Yes, I cook with my iPad in the kitchen.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

When I made the mac and cheese, I used regular paprika. It was great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

all i've made so far are the pepper gravy and the rough rider bbq sauce. both were fantastic; my husband says the bbq sauce recipe is his new favorite. i'm excited to make some non-condiment stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Arisaig wrote:
IJDI, did you leave out the smoked paprika altogether and just use the regular?

I just got this book from the library and have already decided I need to buy it, and I buy very few cookbooks (and just Isa's sight unseen). I know it sounds daft but I felt tears welling up when I tasted the mac and cheese. I like a number of recipes I already have but this one is so so good, in my tastebuds' opinion, and so easy. I like the smokiness but was wondering if I it would be as good without the smoked paprika, for people who aren't so inclined.

i didn't leave it out altogether, but I'm sure you could. It's an added flavor, but I think the sauce stands on it's own without the paprika

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:34 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Agree about the pancakes, they were a little healthy-tasting, but I knew that going in (there's no oil in the recipe). Still liked them in spite of this.
Best description of the choc chip skillet pie I've seen (yuuuum) is that it is like ONE GIANT CHOC CHIP COOKIE. It is so good, but really needs to rest and set afterwards.

For those of you not loving the mac and cheese - I've noticed a few times I've forgotten to add the tablespoon of margarine and the extra tablespoon of nooch at the end, and this makes a BIG difference. But then again it could just be your different taste buds. I think it's a fantastic sauce, and I'm not a fan of nooch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm definitely going to try the mac and cheese recipe again. (I love smoked paprika!) I will make sure to follow the recipe exactly this time. The only recipe I've been disappointed in this book is the horseradish potato salad; just didn't do anything for me. I've made a lot of recipes, and loved all of the others.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

For you veggie burger experts, does using short grain vs. long grain brown rice matter? I want to make the brown rice hazelnut burgers. I don't have brown rice; I have a Trader Joe's rice medley that has long grain brown rice and black barley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cupcake wrote:
While we're talking about typos in the book, I need to quickly get a list to my publisher for the next reprint. If you (or anyone else) know of any others off hand, I love to know. There are several that I've caught, but I'm sure there are more.

Thanks!

Julie

I'm not sure if these have been mentioned, but it says "dessertsr" on the bottom of page 143, and "garbonzo" in the directions of the rich brown gravy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The brown rice hazelnut burgers are in the oven right now, and if they taste half as good as they smell, I'm in for a real treat. These held together perfectly as I was forming them into patties, even without sticking them in the fridge (the recipe doesn't say to put the mix in the fridge, but I usually chill my pre-patty veggie mixtures). These came together so easily and seem to have just the right moisture balance. Also, I don't use TVP so I substituted bulgur soaked in boiling water, and I like that the recipe calls for blending in the food processor. With other burger recipes in which I've just mixed in the bulgur, pretty large granules stick out of the patties and fall out in my cast iron skillet while reheating. Soooo excited to eat these.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

For those of you who have made the cookie skillet pie, would you recommend lining the skillet with parchment? My skillet is fairly new and not completely nonstick, so I'm wondering how much the pie will stick to the pan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

doncherryfan wrote:
For those of you who have made the cookie skillet pie, would you recommend lining the skillet with parchment? My skillet is fairly new and not completely nonstick, so I'm wondering how much the pie will stick to the pan.

I've never had the best luck with my cast irons being completely nonstick, so I greased mine well, and it didn't really stick at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 am 

doncherryfan wrote:

i just sprayed my pan with canola spray and it didn't stick at all. mine is not that new and it's getting pretty good at being non stick, but i think if you just spray it it will be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the barbecue sauce and it was great! Used it to make a baked bbq tofu deal, and mixed up the leftovers with some canned beans for a quick "ahhh I'm moving and use up foot without dirtying dishes" meal and even that was good. It's even persuaded me to keep a bottle of ketchup hanging around to make it again, even though I think ketchup is grosssss otherwise. Mac and cheese is up next, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:35 pm 

radish sandwich wrote:
It's even persuaded me to keep a bottle of ketchup hanging around to make it again, even though I think ketchup is grosssss otherwise.

Isn't it amazing that a BBQ sauce that uses so much ketchup is that good?! That blew me away during testing. It's so good with a bit of the Carolina style vinegary sauce added on whatever you are slathering in BBQ sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I loved that sauce, too, and I usually don't like BBQ sauce at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

radish sandwich wrote:
ketchup is grosssss

Say what?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The BBQ sauce is *AMAZING*. The vegan ribs weren't anywhere near as good, without it. Now I've read the backs of all the BBQ sauces in the stores and I'm panicking - looks like I may have to make some more. It's all sugar and junk! In Australia!

And re: greasing the pan -it's a pretty firm thing, in my nonstick it seems like it might stick in a stick-pan, especially around the top edges. I guess you could get a spatula onto it. But these good people are saying it doesn't!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the Great Smoky Mountain Cheeze and I love the texture and spreadability/sliceability but I am not crazy about the smoked paprika taste (though I loved the mac and cheez - maybe I like it better hot?).

I am a big fan of the Uncheese Cookbook crock cheese, smoky variation, so I think I will try the Vegan Diner recipe substituting liquid smoke for some or all of the smoked paprika. I am having a (non-vegan) potluck this weekend and will try it out on my omni/vegetarian friends, with some homemade bread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:43 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the lemon blueberry loaf with lemon glaze over the weekend and it was delicious! My whole (omni) family loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've heard nothing but great things about this book from the testers! (Okay, Gabrielle)
I've only made the mac & cheese so far, and it was really good. I normally go a different route with my noochy mac (tangier and saltier with miso and tamari and whatnot), but I liked this one and how easy and creamy it was for a stovetop mac. I just added more nooch and soymilk when I reheated the leftovers, and if you're feeling indulgent, I'd suggest adding a dallop of earth balance, too. I think this would be a good base recipe for instant mac if you ground the cashews... I can totally see why Julie says it's kid approved in the description.

It's so pretty!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:26 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Oh wow, that mac & cheese looks really really good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You guys convinced me to buy this book. That mac looks amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:21 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The skillet cookie pie was AMAZING. I followed IDJI's and AllyChristine's advice and greased my skillet really well, and it didn't stick at all. THe only thing I'll do next time is undercook it a bit to give it a softer texture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 31  Next