| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This thread makes me want to go home and cook! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone who hasn't made the veggies and dumplings, do it now. I've made it with and without broccoli, with corn instead of peas, zucchini instead of broccoli.... the dumplings are perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The chocolate strawberry pie recipe ruled my life all summer. We would make a pie and then the three of us would devour it in one sitting. It would be so good we would crave more even if stuffed and totally sick of it.

Normally I share my cooking and deliver some to my parents or my colleagues... but nobody else got any of this pie. I almost didn't share it with my immediate family.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I keep reading about how excellent the Mac & Cheese recipe is, and I really want to make it for my family. However, my kids and husband are severely allergic to tree nuts...has anyone tried making the recipe without the cashews?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

J_Rice wrote:
I keep reading about how excellent the Mac & Cheese recipe is, and I really want to make it for my family. However, my kids and husband are severely allergic to tree nuts...has anyone tried making the recipe without the cashews?

I think it would work to omit the cashews, and then substitute plain unsweetened soymilk for the water, to give it the extra creaminess. I would also make sure to add the Earth Balance too.

Let me know how it comes out. I would love to know!

Julie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

J_Rice wrote:

Can you try sunflower seeds? I sometimes make raw cheesey recipes with them if I'm having a poor week. It's not exactly the same but still yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Quote:
Anyone who hasn't made the veggies and dumplings, do it now. I've made it with and without broccoli, with corn instead of peas, zucchini instead of broccoli.... the dumplings are perfect.

Thank you for the push to make this! It's my lunches this week. Had it for the first time yesterday and am going to heat a portion up now... soo delicious. The peas in the thick stew are yummy. And it was very easy to make. And fun! I loved dropping the raw dough into the stew, putting on the lid, and coming back to see the puffed-up dumplings. Very cool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Over the weekend I made the Pumpkin Spice pancakes, English Muffins, and the Smokey Potato Scramble. All delicious! I was particulary impressed with the English Muffins. They were so good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the smokey scramble this weekend, too! I also made the smokey seitan and the bbq sauce with chipotle pepper, and served in on a long roll with the diner slaw. It was intense!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:25 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm making the chili and chipotle scallion double cornbread for my family on thursday. Been wanting to make that chili ever since I got the book, now it's finally time!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

healthyrunner wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for the push to make this! It's my lunches this week. Had it for the first time yesterday and am going to heat a portion up now... soo delicious. The peas in the thick stew are yummy. And it was very easy to make. And fun! I loved dropping the raw dough into the stew, putting on the lid, and coming back to see the puffed-up dumplings. Very cool.

Mmmm, yay! I'm thinking about making the chocolate cherry cake today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Made the smokey seitan last week. Sooo good. I think my favorite seitan yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The smoky scramble is wowowowow delicious with a drizzle/lashings of truffle oil and some braggs or similar (it's the only thing I've used it for!)..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm 

The smoky scramble is wowowowow delicious with a drizzle/lashings of truffle oil and some braggs or similar (it's the only thing I've used it for!)..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

J_Rice wrote:

I've heard of people subbing in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds for tree nuts in recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Speaking of delicious and smoky....the smoky curls!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 pm 

OK, So we can't get Soy Curls in Australia but I am desperate to try them. I've seen this exact product (with a different brandname, but same type of packaging) and it looks exactly the same as the one we get here - http://www.qiannafoods.com/system/2006/ ... 0935.shtml . Not fully understanding what soy curls are, is this similar? I cooked them once in the recommended recipe on the back, and they were awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mattomic wrote:
OK, So we can't get Soy Curls in Australia but I am desperate to try them. I've seen this exact product (with a different brandname, but same type of packaging) and it looks exactly the same as the one we get here - http://www.qiannafoods.com/system/2006/ ... 0935.shtml . Not fully understanding what soy curls are, is this similar? I cooked them once in the recommended recipe on the back, and they were awful.

Those do look slightly similar, but also drier and...strange looking. I can't say if they would be the same, but they look similar at least. Maybe the recipe just didn't give enough flavor? I've loved them every time I've had them. Once they are reconstituted, drained, flavored, and crisped..they are great. Can you order them from anywhere?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 pm 

Are soy curls just 100% organic soybean, like this one? That's kinda what got me started thinking. I definitely think I would do the reconstituting, draining, flavouring and crisping next time, as I usually do with most TVP.. I think in the recipe on the package, you cooked/reconstituted it directly in the sauce. So everything tasted like.. old soy/dry TVP. Yeesh. Will give it another try. Can't order from anywhere here, I don't believe, sadly. Thanks for your help, though!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mattomic wrote:
Are soy curls just 100% organic soybean, like this one? That's kinda what got me started thinking. I definitely think I would do the reconstituting, draining, flavouring and crisping next time, as I usually do with most TVP.. I think in the recipe on the package, you cooked/reconstituted it directly in the sauce. So everything tasted like.. old soy/dry TVP. Yeesh. Will give it another try. Can't order from anywhere here, I don't believe, sadly. Thanks for your help, though!

I think so! "Ingredients: Soy Curls are made from delicately textured select, non GMO, whole soybeans." Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Are the recipes kind of healthy or who-cares-they're-awesome? I'm interested in buying it either way, but I do like healthy options.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

Niev wrote:
Are the recipes kind of healthy or who-cares-they're-awesome? I'm interested in buying it either way, but I do like healthy options.

I think there's a good mix of both healthy and not so much in this book which I really appreciate. Many of the recipes use much less oil than others I've seen which is great for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the chocolate ice cream last night and it was awesome. (I had to modify the recipe because my grocery store no longer carries coconut milk. I replaced both the soy milk and coconut milk in the recipe with the asceptically packed coconut milk for drinking and cereal.) Apparently, xantham gum is the secret to creamy vegan ice cream, because this came out much richer than anything I've made before despite having less fat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

mattomic wrote:

I think you can buy Soy Curls directly from Butler Foods (which makes Soy Curls), or ask them where you can buy them in Australia. If there are any Adventist stores, they might carry them, or be able to get them in. Butler Foods is an Adventist company. Although TVP may work, the flavor is different.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

J_Rice wrote:

Disgusting confession? I used Tofutti Sour Supreme after my blender finally kicked the bucket and I had an intense craving. I don't find it sour at all, personally, cashews were better but it still tasted good to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 32  Next