| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 am 
Ninja Master

This book is on my christmas list but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I might cave and buy it before then!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

boychucker wrote:
I made the Chicken Style Seitan Roast and added it to the Veggies and Dumplings. Perfect comfort food! I am still stuffed and I ate about two hours ago. I am not sure what I am going to do with the rest of the roast, but I know it won't go to waste. I am so glad I let the ppk talk me into getting this book. I love it.

slice/bread/fry, top with marinara and Daiya mozz. delicious chik'n parmagiana!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

baps wrote:
This book is on my christmas list but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I might cave and buy it before then!!

Cave. It's so worth it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:50 pm 
Hip Goiter

Can someone pm me the cheezy mac recipe? I lent my book to a friend and I wanttttt it.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Any thoughts on how long the Smoky Mountain cheeze keeps in the fridge? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

Mama's Pot Roast.
Can this recipe be cooked on low in the slow cooker for say about 8 hours instead of the 4 hours on high.
Love to make it for Shabbos and just turn it on to cook when going off to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made the banana pudding pie today and had it for dessert with nice black coffee. My (omni) in-laws went on and on about how good it was. I think the vanilla pudding would also be great on its own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the hamburger buns but they didn't rise properly. It was really cold and drafty in my apartment today. I should have put them in the oven with the light on for warmth or something. Didn't think of it until later. Anyway, ended up with really dense biscuit-like buns. I froze them and figure I'll use them for breadcrumbs or something.

To go with the buns I made the sloppy joes. The buns were a no go, but my omni husband actually ate the sloppy joe mix sans bun, which really surprised me since he's not the biggest TVP fan.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

What a great book! I have the kindle edition. I love that you can scroll through the index,click on a recipe, and the kindle takes you directly to the recipe in the book.

We have made the following:

Not Your Mama's Pot Roast with Roasted Vegetables - My husband liked this more than I did. The vegetables were excellent and the seitan turned out well. We cut back on the salt. The full amount would have been too salty for us.

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies - excellent

Lemon Diner Cheesecake - AMAZING!!! So good we ate it for breakfast and dessert for a week!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:56 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the brownies this weekend and was kind of disappointed. They seemed kind of bland and dry to me.
Has anyone else made them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Quote:
I made the brownies this weekend and was kind of disappointed. They seemed kind of bland and dry to me.
Has anyone else made them?

Hi - I didn't find them bland or dry but they were super dense and too rich for me. If I cut them up into bite-size it was like a rich fudgy candy which was good but not exactly brownie-like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I didn't love the brownies either. I mean, I ate them, but they weren't something I'd make again. :) I shared them and everyone else thought they were really good. I like more of a chewy brownie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love those brownies! It's my go-to when I need something to take to an event. They've always come out super-fudgy and gooey for me, which is how I like them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 pm 
Chard Martyr

I made them recently! I thought they were good in a dense and chewy sort of way. Not fudgy exactly, but also not dry. Maybe they were overbaked a little? Mine definitely didn't seem fully done when I took them out, but the came out really well. I think I might leave the coffee out next time to make them slightly less rich. they were super rich with the ganache on top.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm 

My thoughts on these brownies are expressed well by ijustdiedinside! :D. I still think they're delicious, but perhaps others have overbaked them, or like their brownies with very little flour?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love those brownies, but my oven runs a little cool so they tend to be underdone, which is how I like them. Brownie goo.

I'm really grateful for everyone posting on this thread, because I'm doing the pot roast for Thanksgiving and now know to take it easy on the salt!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really like the brownies. I'm still looking for the perfect brownie recipe (I like mine insanely rich), but Boyfriend thought these were perfect for his tastes. It's probably still one of the best brownie recipes I've tried.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:31 pm 

Maybe they were over done. They looked done when they came out. I also didn't put the ganache on top, so maybe that is a necessary component.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:37 pm 

I'm sure they would be delicious without it, but the ganache totally makes these.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just made the chocolate mint truffle pie. I was worried after adding the chocolate,I could still taste the tofu a bit. But after adding the sugar and mint it magically turned into a thin mint cookie. Delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the jambalaya tonight. I used to have a recipe like this and I lost it, so I am extra pleased. It snowed today and then hailed, and was very messy but school was not cancelled and my office stayed open, so when I finally tramped home through the snow and literally threw this into the pot it was wonderful to have half an hour of relaxation time letting it cook while I had some candy cane tea.

If I were making it for myself and my oldest I would have added 3 tbsp of the cajun spice (as she mentions in the notes) but it was very tasty and so easy it's going in my winter rotation. I used Yves sweet italian sausage but next time I will use kielbasa (Yves or Tofurkey) because it will taste even better. It made lots, too - 6-8 servings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:48 pm 

I made the Smokey Mountain Cheeze to bring with me to an omni Thanksgiving... this stuff is seriously amazing! Everyone devoured it. Like most cheezes, it didn't taste exactly like dairy cheese, but even the omnis agreed that it was really good in its own right and was a bit reminiscent of the pub cheese you can get in little tubs at the grocery. It was also really easy, and since I stocked up on agar powder for VPITS, I can see myself making this often!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:30 pm 

I made the garlic dill potato salad.. and was very, very skeptical of the tofu mayo - but after a thorough blending, it was really creamy and delicious. Worked great with the potato salad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

mattomic wrote:
I made the garlic dill potato salad.. and was very, very skeptical of the tofu mayo - but after a thorough blending, it was really creamy and delicious. Worked great with the potato salad.

Me too! I usually don't like silken tofu based savory sauces but I really enjoyed this one. It really does go great in that potato salad and on sandwiches!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

tenderoni wrote:
mattomic wrote:

Me too! I usually don't like silken tofu based savory sauces but I really enjoyed this one. It really does go great in that potato salad and on sandwiches!

This sounds like a challenge to me!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 31  Next