| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

You guys, the banana bread is amazing! I made it without chocolate chips, and it is still one of the best things I've eaten in a long time.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I finally got my hands on some Soy Curls, for the sole purpose of making the smoky curls from this book. I don't love them. I ran out of soy sauce, so had to sub Bragg's for 1/3 of the soy. I wonder if that's why? I mean, I don't hate them, and I'll eat 'em until they're gone, but I'm not in a hurry to order another bag of curls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I really like that chili too. I always make the cornbread, in fact, I'm making it again this week with another Mexican bean soup I'm making (the soup is from Let Them Eat Vegan!).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

Anyone have experience with the yeasted donuts from this book?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made them once. They were kind of a big project (I just hate deep frying things) but they were really, really good. I did some with this Alton Brown chocolate glaze (vegan subs, obvs) and they were seriously delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zelavie wrote:
I finally got my hands on some Soy Curls, for the sole purpose of making the smoky curls from this book. I don't love them. I ran out of soy sauce, so had to sub Bragg's for 1/3 of the soy. I wonder if that's why? I mean, I don't hate them, and I'll eat 'em until they're gone, but I'm not in a hurry to order another bag of curls.

never tried bragg's myself, but when hubby & i made the curico (?) taco's from isa's brunch cookbook using soy curls, man oh man it was so good. as i learned from a previous discussion post, you literally need to squeeze the heck out of the soy curls (we used muslin instead of cheesecloth) after you re-hydrate them to get all the excess water out so they cook up nice and have the ability to crisp.

i have a wee bit of one bag left and another sealed bag of soy curls. i'm hoarding them for some special recipe, whatever that is ;) i wish i could buy more but the s/h is pricey!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
zelavie wrote:

never tried bragg's myself, but when hubby & i made the curico (?) taco's from isa's brunch cookbook using soy curls, man oh man it was so good. as i learned from a previous discussion post, you literally need to squeeze the heck out of the soy curls (we used muslin instead of cheesecloth) after you re-hydrate them to get all the excess water out so they cook up nice and have the ability to crisp.

i have a wee bit of one bag left and another sealed bag of soy curls. i'm hoarding them for some special recipe, whatever that is ;) i wish i could buy more but the s/h is pricey!

I read that tip and squeezed most of the liquid out - still didn't get them as crisp as I'd like, but it's the flavor I'm not in love with. I'll probably try them in another recipe sometime.

I found them on Amazon, with free Super Saver shipping, so I tacked 'em on to an order I was already placing. Hopefully they'll remain available there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
Anyone have experience with the yeasted donuts from this book?

Pinko wrote:
I made them once. They were kind of a big project (I just hate deep frying things) but they were really, really good. I did some with this Alton Brown chocolate glaze (vegan subs, obvs) and they were seriously delicious.

Thanks! I don't own a deep fryer but I just noticed them in the book the other day (I don't bother with baked donuts--it's just not the same and I think I flipped through this recipe at first thinking they were baked) and thought hmmm. I don't deep fry either but I could maybe try in my cast iron skillet. I have to look at the recipe again, but I am intrigued. I was thinking they'd be a real treat for a potluck or maybe bakesale or other occasion where I take the food out and not to eat all myself.

I just love the biscuits and gravy recipe from this book. I added some crumbled sauteed breakfast sausages to the gravy and it's just scrumptious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The home-style loaf with rich brown gravy was delicious! Pure comfort food on a cold snowy winter day. I'm very excited to try more from this book!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the Banana Bread this morning and served it to some friends after lunch...It's all gone.
Nuff said!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

rohai wrote:
The home-style loaf with rich brown gravy was delicious! Pure comfort food on a cold snowy winter day. I'm very excited to try more from this book!

Oh yes! This got me through last week's giant snow storm here in the northeast. I like it with her Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts. I like that a lot of the recipes in the book are quick and easy--the smokey soy curls, tomato soup and chocolate chip cookies are recipes I make quite often.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Banana bread in the oven now. I did add the chocolate chips, I'm excited to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

last night i made the ribz on page 112 and we had them for dinner. i'm withholding final judgement until we eat them again tonight for dinner as julie says they taste even better the next day after a rest in the fridge.

the instructions were great and the recipe came together flawlessly. which was an added bonus since i was a bit nervous since i think this might be my first seitan-like food product i've made. the texture was nice, but i think i could taste the wheat flavor in the VWG so maybe that is what i found distracting? i'm wondering if maybe after sitting in the fridge for 24 hours the wheaty flavor will mellow out a bit??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Personally, I think they have too much smoked paprika. I like a little bit of it, but not a lot, so I have to tone it down in most of the recipes in vegan diner. I think the ribs were the first recipe where i realized that i don't love smoked paprika, so maybe that's the flavor you're tasting?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, they are very heavy on the paprika. I really like them, but I love paprika, ha. But that could definitely be it. Have you used your VWG in any other recipes? I've had batches that had a more pronounced "taste" than others. I'm not sure if it's the brand or the age or what (I always get it from the bulk bins and they switch up their supplier pretty often). Anyway, I do think the ribs are even better after sitting for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If you're not used to seitan, it can have a wheaty taste. Underseasoned seitan tastes more wheaty than well-seasoned seitan too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i used some VWG in BBQ black-eyed pea burgers, a recipe from the cookin' crunk cookbook by bianca. don't recall all the ingredients off hand, but i don't recall there being a ton of VWG in the recipe. and i also use the bulk bins to buy VWG, but i think this stuff is from the same batch from the burgers......

i don't think the distracting taste was paprika, the VD ribz only used 2 tsp of it, which doesn't seem like too much to me in the context of the rest of the ingredients, but hubby and i do like paprika, smoked, sweet, spicy, etc..... so i don't think it was that.......

will report back after dinner to let y'all know how the ribs taste tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I always find that seitan not cooked properly has a "wheaty" or "gluten-y" taste, which I can't stand. Sometimes it seems to happen randomly, though, but shouldn't happen if everything has worked well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well we ate the leftovers last night and they did taste very different, not wheat-y at all. although the recipe is written wonderfully, i'm not sure that i love the ribz. my omni hubby was quite fond of them so that's a good thing.

are the ribz a seitan food product or something else entirely? i'd still like to give some other recipe using lots of VWG a try....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I decided to move away from the cookie recipe (that i've pretty much memorised) and made a proper meal, and hoo howdy!

I made Rosemary Buns (doubled the recipe) and Brown Rice Hazelnut Burgers (which I will be making again, doubling the recipe, to make them 1/4lbers). this would go faster a lot if you do make some stuff the day before ie: (hazelnut prep, rice prep etc) and then pop everything in your food processor.

I'll be making other things now.

(I did make vampire fries, that took forever and a day).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
well we ate the leftovers last night and they did taste very different, not wheat-y at all. although the recipe is written wonderfully, i'm not sure that i love the ribz. my omni hubby was quite fond of them so that's a good thing.

are the ribz a seitan food product or something else entirely? i'd still like to give some other recipe using lots of VWG a try....

yeah, they count as seitan. you should try one of the steamed seitan loaves/roasts from vegan diner. they are good solid seitan recipes that are pretty reliable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

good to know, my hubby was quite intrigued by the pastrami one (unless i am mixing that up with 'vegan sandwiches')
we have a tiny countertop steamer, tucked in the cabinet when not in use. i don't know if our tiny steamer will work for the seitan recipes that call for steaming rather than baking..... i'll have to take measurements later.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:39 pm 

you can always make the seitan into a few smaller loaves instead of one larger one. I've done that so I could steam in my small pot, and it works fine. You may just need less time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

The Herbed Breakfast Sausage Patties are another great seitan recipe in Vegan Diner and should fit even in a small steamer. They were my first attempt at seitan and really easy. And so good that I still fantasize about them. (Man, I have to stock up on vwg and make these again.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

those sausage patties are pretty frikking awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next