| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I use Kreuzkümmel. I like it on potatoes & bread, etc. So I'm not generally apposed to it.

Ah, you're my opposite then. I love cumin and use it in a lot of things, but I dislike it in bread! The great advantage of making your own food it the ability to tailor it to your liking. I often forget my dislikes because I almost never eat food someone else has made. Since I like cumin I haven't really noticed how ubiquitous it can be, but hating mushrooms and cooking for someone who is allergic to them I certainly have noticed the excess love of mushrooms among many vegan cookbook authors.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just made the smokey mountain cheese again, but it was looking kind of pale in my food processor, so I added a little turmeric and now it is super bright yellow. haha! I also added some liquid smoke because I only like smoked paprika in small quantities, so I only do 1/4 tsp of that. Anyway, grilled cheeses for lunch! yum!! And i'm probably making chili and cornbread for dinner tonight.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just pulled the pot roast out of the crockpot. It's reeeaaaallly good but it kind of fel apart on top and got squished by the vegetables. I wonder if I browned it before putting it in the crockpot it would e more solid? Anyone try this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

geeksweetheart wrote:
I just pulled the pot roast out of the crockpot. It's reeeaaaallly good but it kind of fel apart on top and got squished by the vegetables. I wonder if I browned it before putting it in the crockpot it would e more solid? Anyone try this?

When I made that, the whole thing was pretty mushy - not my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

Its mostly solid... And the flavor is great. I think I'm going to add 1/4 c less water to the dough and try browning it first next time. A little less salt too. I'll let you know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

mattomic wrote:
Hey LittleChicken! I get Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes from The Green Edge (you can order online), and Fundies, my local health food store has them too. LOVE 'em.

Thanks Matt! I'll have to save up and have a vegan grocery splurge soon. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just made the smokey mountain cheese again, but it was looking kind of pale in my food processor, so I added a little turmeric and now it is super bright yellow. haha! I also added some liquid smoke because I only like smoked paprika in small quantities, so I only do 1/4 tsp of that. Anyway, grilled cheeses for lunch! yum!! And i'm probably making chili and cornbread for dinner tonight.

i wonder if could use my immersion blender for the 2nd part, doesn't she say after you cook it in the pot to quickly put it back in your food processor again? i wonder if could save myself some stress of trying to quickly clean up the food processor bowl and just use my immersion blender??

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I skipped the second blending both times I made it. It doesn't need it, imo.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the veggies & dumplings with soy curls last night, and it was SO GOOD. Very reminiscent of my mom/aunt/grandmother's chicken and dumplings, and definitely the first time a vegan dish has ever come that close to a childhood favorite.

I don't find myself inspired by this book very often, but the three recipes I've made have been huge hits, so I guess I should get into it more.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

creep wrote:
I made the veggies & dumplings with soy curls last night, and it was SO GOOD. Very reminiscent of my mom/aunt/grandmother's chicken and dumplings, and definitely the first time a vegan dish has ever come that close to a childhood favorite.

I don't find myself inspired by this book very often, but the three recipes I've made have been huge hits, so I guess I should get into it more.

Thank YOU for the inspiration: now I know exactly what to do with my remaining bag of soy curls. I'd purchased two on Amazon, just to try them and be sure I like them - and they are AMAZING.

I first made the Smoky Soy Curls in VD, and used them on a salad with the Green Goddess dressing from AFR (yummmmmm). I then dumped the remaining Smoky Curls into the AFR Black Beans and Red Velvet Mole - and my husband (Mexican by birth) asked me, both last nite and again today, "Are you sure it's not chicken?" Success!

The Butler website appears to sell the Curls WAY cheaper than Amazon (although the shipping may offset that - need to do some calculation), but these things are something important to keep around! I sure wish they were carried locally.

The texture reminded me so much of calamari, and I'm thinking of some fried/baked crispy calamari-style soy curls with marinara, AND maybe some clam-curl chowder, with the soy curls for texture and some minced nori for the taste.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They are cheaper (per ounce) on the Butler website, even with shipping to Tennessee.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

creep wrote:
They are cheaper (per ounce) on the Butler website, even with shipping to Tennessee.

Awesome, thank you for the info - the multi-packs are such a good deal!

Soy curl recipes will be making frequent rotation in this house full of omnis (+ one vegan).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

www.fakemeats.com sells the butler soy curls in value packs of 3 with speedy and accurate s/h
♥ soy curls!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The manufacturer's website is still a bit cheaper per ounce, assuming you can eat 6 bags of soy curls. Might also depend on where they're shipping to.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 pm 

creep wrote:

Hi again, creep: How/when did you incorporate the soy curls? Soaked in hot water, then added in at the end, or...?

It's on tap for tonite (kale and cauliflower instead of broccoli). Thanx!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Maybe with the broccoli? I don't remember, exactly, but you can't really overcook them in broth.

I was a little annoyed that she'd included that variation without telling you when you add it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Breakfast banana bars are just out of the oven. So good. I decided to make a break from the banana chocolate bread since I've made that 3 times in the past month.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the dark chocolate ice cream last night. I think next time I'll use about 1 tbsp less cocoa powder, but it was quite good. It's my first time making my own vegan ice cream, and I thought it was better than anything I've purchased (and a LOT cheaper!). I'm pretty excited to try different recipes now!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:14 pm 

creep wrote:
Maybe with the broccoli? I don't remember, exactly, but you can't really overcook them in broth.

I was a little annoyed that she'd included that variation without telling you when you add it.

FINALLY, the Central Coast weather returned to "normal" (foggy, breezy, and 60s), so I was able to make Veggie Dumpling stew last night... The rave reviews were not exaggerating: it is FABULOUS and hearty and so comfortingly creamy. I did add the soy curls, and in looking at and tasting my leftovers for lunch today, I seriously cannot believe the soy curls aren't really chicken (thank goodness, but you know what I mean). The texture and color are superb.

My omni husband LOVED it. He held up a piece of brothy soy curl on his spoon and demanded, "what's this? It's not chicken?" - he truly could not believe this was vegan fare.

A few recipe notes:
1) I had used my smallest ice cream scoop for the dumplings, but I think I'll go melon-baller next time (they were a little too big, not that it hurt the dish - just personal preference).

2) The broccoli florets naturally broke up in the stew, which I still loved, but which turned my kids off of really giving it a shot (since they despise most green things...). In making it again, I may leave the broccoli out - or use cauliflower (since it won't leave a green-dotted trail in the broth).

3) I couldn't resist first sauté-ing the veggies a bit before adding the stock, and to that sauté, I added some sage/thyme for extra flavor.

MAJOR SUCCESS, super fitting for company! I don't know how this could displease anyone who likes chicken and dumplings stew.

Off to order more soy curls (are they ever amazing)...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

VeganVamp wrote:
FINALLY, the Central Coast weather returned to "normal" (foggy, breezy, and 60s), so I was able to make Veggie Dumpling stew last night... The rave reviews were not exaggerating: it is FABULOUS and hearty and so comfortingly creamy. I did add the soy curls, and in looking at and tasting my leftovers for lunch today, I seriously cannot believe the soy curls aren't really chicken (thank goodness, but you know what I mean). The texture and color are superb.

My omni husband LOVED it. He held up a piece of brothy soy curl on his spoon and demanded, "what's this? It's not chicken?" - he truly could not believe this was vegan fare.

A few recipe notes:
1) I had used my smallest ice cream scoop for the dumplings, but I think I'll go melon-baller next time (they were a little too big, not that it hurt the dish - just personal preference).

2) The broccoli florets naturally broke up in the stew, which I still loved, but which turned my kids off of really giving it a shot (since they despise most green things...). In making it again, I may leave the broccoli out - or use cauliflower (since it won't leave a green-dotted trail in the broth).

3) I couldn't resist first sauté-ing the veggies a bit before adding the stock, and to that sauté, I added some sage/thyme for extra flavor.

MAJOR SUCCESS, super fitting for company! I don't know how this could displease anyone who likes chicken and dumplings stew.

Off to order more soy curls (are they ever amazing)...

I haven't used soy curls much - did you do anything to them before putting them in the stew? I love, love, love this dish, and that sounds like a great addition.

I'm with you on the dumplings - I usually halve the dumplings recipe and drop in tiny balls. It's too bread-y for me otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh i ♥ soy curls. my omni hubby does too, they are seriously amazing and worth every penny. definitely very very very similar in texture to chicken. i get mine from www.fakemeats.com

hubby loves making fake pulled pork BBQ sandwiches with them. and in tacos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

zelavie wrote:

I haven't used soy curls much - did you do anything to them before putting them in the stew? I love, love, love this dish, and that sounds like a great addition.

I'm with you on the dumplings - I usually halve the dumplings recipe and drop in tiny balls. It's too bread-y for me otherwise.

She recommends reconstituting them in chicken-style broth. Since it's a stew, you could technically just add them dry, but you might have to add more water, since they'd soak up quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 pm 

zelavie wrote:

The right-hand page for that recipe says to soak them in hot broth, which I did. I honestly would have never noticed that suggestion to even add the soy curls, but creep recently mentioned how it made the dish, and she was SO RIGHT!!!

Soy curls are truly an amazing creation. I still can't get over the Smoky Curls I made with the leftovers from the package (Julie's recipe, although I added a bit of maple syrup for flavor). My omni husband scrambled them in his eggs the next morning,and I had them on a BLT - they somehow manage to even have that rich, somewhat fatty bacon-esque feel in certain places, with all the delicious smokiness.

Gift from the heavens, they are!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:55 am 
Tofu Pup

I made the smokey mountain cheese and the old-fashioned tomato soup. Both easy and very tasty. I'm wondering if I can freeze some of the cheese because the last bit went bad before I could eat it all....or would it just be better to make a half a batch?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have a dumb question. I am making the chocolate strawberry pie tomorrow, and I don't know if I need to remove the cream from the sandwich cookies before crushing them for the crust. It doesn't say to, but I don't want to make a mistake.

Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next