| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

haven't checked the recipe but i would assume you leave the cream filling on the sandwich cookies, seems it would be quite fussy to have to scrape off the cream before crushing the cookies, julie is a perfectionist when it comes to developing & testing her recipes (that's the impression i get from her blog) but i couldn't imagine her having such a fussy instruction.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes! I saw Julie do a demo of one of her pies & crusts at a VegFest and she totally left the filling in. I've done the same since.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

masuphl wrote:
I have a dumb question. I am making the chocolate strawberry pie tomorrow, and I don't know if I need to remove the cream from the sandwich cookies before crushing them for the crust. It doesn't say to, but I don't want to make a mistake.

I've made her cookie pie crust before and the cream filling helps bind it all together. Pretty smart if you ask me! I'm making this same pie tomorrow for some guests. Cannot wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the black eye pea stew yesterday--just having some over rice now. I thought from reading the recipe it'd be kind of meh, you know, just wanted to use up some celery in the fridge I needed to use and it'd be a cheap, easy midweek dinner. For a rice and beans dish, it is so yum! (I added the optional tomatoes--a 15 oz can diced tomatoes). I love this book. Every time I make something from it, I'm reminded about how good it all is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:07 pm 
Cranky

I made the blackberry skillet pie with my CSA blackberries, and it was so tasty! I really love this book and I ought to cook from it more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:23 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the info on the strawberry pie crust! The pie turned out so beautiful, and everyone loved it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Marzipan wrote:
masuphl wrote:
I have a dumb question. I am making the chocolate strawberry pie tomorrow, and I don't know if I need to remove the cream from the sandwich cookies before crushing them for the crust. It doesn't say to, but I don't want to make a mistake.

I've made her cookie pie crust before and the cream filling helps bind it all together. Pretty smart if you ask me! I'm making this same pie tomorrow for some guests. Cannot wait!

Yeah, I remember reading over the recipe and wondering about that, too, but when I thought about it, I figured it was best to crush the icing and cookie together for the built-in crust-binding aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The jambalaya is great! It tastes a lot like the Celebrate Vegan jambalaya, which is my usual recipe. Subbed fresh tomatoes because we had a massive amount to use, and had to add a lot of water. I think my rice was a little old, because I cooked it a bit longer than suggested, and a few pieces still have a little grain to them. Not enough to ruin the dish, but not ideal either. I wonder if using fresh tomatoes made the rice cook slower?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

seitanicverses wrote:
Marzipan wrote:
masuphl wrote:

Yeah, I remember reading over the recipe and wondering about that, too, but when I thought about it, I figured it was best to crush the icing and cookie together for the built-in crust-binding aspect.

I didn't read the replies in time, and I scraped the filling off. I had low expectations for the crust but it was perfect and I was so excited that I didn't ruin it. :) Next time I will leave the filling in just to see which one I like better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:24 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

this book is just amazing! We've made all of the seitans and most of the main dish-type things but recently I've branched out into the baked stuff and dude...those burger buns and the cornbread buns were SO EASY and came out perfectly. Loved that the burger buns didn't need tons of time to rise. I even messed around a little because I never have instant yeast on hand but tons of the regular dry active yeast so I added my yeast to the milk/oil mixture to proof, and I don't have a stand mixer as called for to mix the dough either, so I used a dough blade in my food processor. I love when I can make adjustments and not totally screw things up!
also just made the banana bread for my family and yep, it's more of a cake than a healthy-type bread, but my god is it delicious! Easily the best banana bread I've ever made, and I've tried tons of different recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:36 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Audrey wrote:
this book is just amazing! We've made all of the seitans and most of the main dish-type things but recently I've branched out into the baked stuff and dude...those burger buns and the cornbread buns were SO EASY and came out perfectly. Loved that the burger buns didn't need tons of time to rise. I even messed around a little because I never have instant yeast on hand but tons of the regular dry active yeast so I added my yeast to the milk/oil mixture to proof, and I don't have a stand mixer as called for to mix the dough either, so I used a dough blade in my food processor. I love when I can make adjustments and not totally screw things up!
also just made the banana bread for my family and yep, it's more of a cake than a healthy-type bread, but my god is it delicious! Easily the best banana bread I've ever made, and I've tried tons of different recipes.

Her baked goods are great! I love the Sweet Cornbread, Fluffy Bisquits and Blueberry Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze. This is such a great little book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

creep wrote:
The manufacturer's website is still a bit cheaper per ounce, assuming you can eat 6 bags of soy curls. Might also depend on where they're shipping to.

Whooo, hoo! Ordered my 2nd shipment of soy curls Sunday nite, and they just arrived today (Thurs) in CA.

Lemme just say, 12# is a LOT of soy curls! Yes, I ordered the bulk package (my original shipment, 6 bags pre-packaged, went pretty quickly, between my omni family's adoration AND several rounds of overnight guests). I used my largest storage containers and several gallon ziploc bags and stuffed the bottom shelf of the freezer, and I still have a huge amount left in the original bulk bag that I jammed into a cabinet....!

But how freeing it is to not "worry" about trying something other than my beloved smoky curls from VD, since I know it's not my last, sacred tiny bag of soy curls! Excited to try more, because I just can't get enough of these bad boys.

12#, $49.95 + $11.00 shipping from Butler website. And I have soy curls for a LONNNNNNG time. =)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I made the chocolate chip skillet pie last night, and it's so good. I mean, it's more a gigantic cookie than a pie, but that's fine by me. I love this book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the cookie pie last week but it wouldn't cook through properly. I've made it before with no problems so I don't know what was going on. In the end I chopped it all up and made chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with it. I might intentionally underbake it again next time because this was pretty glorious.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:36 am 
Nailed to the V

Erinnerung wrote:
I made the cookie pie last week but it wouldn't cook through properly. I've made it before with no problems so I don't know what was going on. In the end I chopped it all up and made chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with it. I might intentionally underbake it again next time because this was pretty glorious.

Thanks for posting this because I am making it tomorrow. My 8 year old son requested this for his birthday cake, and I don't want to mess it up. Underbaking it in this situation would be bad news, because he's a weirdo and hates raw cookie dough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganVamp wrote:
creep wrote:
The manufacturer's website is still a bit cheaper per ounce, assuming you can eat 6 bags of soy curls. Might also depend on where they're shipping to.

Whooo, hoo! Ordered my 2nd shipment of soy curls Sunday nite, and they just arrived today (Thurs) in CA.

Lemme just say, 12# is a LOT of soy curls! Yes, I ordered the bulk package (my original shipment, 6 bags pre-packaged, went pretty quickly, between my omni family's adoration AND several rounds of overnight guests). I used my largest storage containers and several gallon ziploc bags and stuffed the bottom shelf of the freezer, and I still have a huge amount left in the original bulk bag that I jammed into a cabinet....!

But how freeing it is to not "worry" about trying something other than my beloved smoky curls from VD, since I know it's not my last, sacred tiny bag of soy curls! Excited to try more, because I just can't get enough of these bad boys.

12#, $49.95 + $11.00 shipping from Butler website. And I have soy curls for a LONNNNNNG time. =)

how was your customer service experience with the butler soy curls peeps? i order from fakemeats.com, and they usually ship out the same day and it shows up in 2 days! however, if i wanted a larger soy curl order, the butler website (price + s/h) is cheaper by a couple of dollars. did butler process your order fairly quickly and how long did it take for your soy curls to arrive?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:53 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I had decent customer service from the butlers people. My one complaint was that I didn't get any shipping confirmation, so I wasn't sure they arrived and the box ended up sitting in my apartment complex's management office for a few days.

I got the 12lb box, too, and it's lasted me at least 6 months so far. Works out to $5 a pound, which is pretty fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't really think about how long it takes until it takes TOO long, and I don't remember having any issues, so I guess it was fine. I live on practically the other side of the country from where they ship.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pastabake wrote:
I had decent customer service from the butlers people. My one complaint was that I didn't get any shipping confirmation, so I wasn't sure they arrived and the box ended up sitting in my apartment complex's management office for a few days.

I got the 12lb box, too, and it's lasted me at least 6 months so far. Works out to $5 a pound, which is pretty fantastic.

hmmmm...... i do ♥ shipping & tracking info. although maybe that was a fluke that you didn't get an e-mail. i do really like the fakemeats site and their customer service. they actually write a note on the invoices thanking you for your order!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

pastabake wrote:

Interesting... I DID receive a shipping confirmation.

I placed the order Sunday nite, received the shipping confirmation Monday morning, and received the 12# box in Thursday's UPS delivery. Since I'm in CA, and they are in Oregon, that's not so fast, if you're dying for your soy curls... and there was no option I saw to expedite the shipping.

But since I had some remaining soy curls, the timing and process were just perfect for me! And can't beat the price. So fun to look in my PACKED freezer at all the soy curls, LOL. Now just need to branch out and make more than my beloved smoky curls...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

As to Butler, I ordered 8/10 (which was a Saturday) and received it today in Michigan. I did get shipping confirmation email and tracking, which I don't think I usually do.

As to the book - seriously I love this book. This was written for my taste buds and cooking style (not complicated). I bought it for the smoky soy curls, which are delicious of course. Then recently I've tried the veggies and dumplings - using soy curls and leaving out the broccoli so it's basically chicken stew. YUM. Either of these recipes was worth the purchase price for me.

The smoky mountain cheeze was delicious (esp in a grilled cheese). And the banana choc chip bread is delicious.

Next up is the multigrain pancakes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I really love how simple it all is. Simple and delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

seitanicverses wrote:
I made the black eye pea stew yesterday--just having some over rice now. I thought from reading the recipe it'd be kind of meh, you know, just wanted to use up some celery in the fridge I needed to use and it'd be a cheap, easy midweek dinner. For a rice and beans dish, it is so yum! (I added the optional tomatoes--a 15 oz can diced tomatoes). I love this book. Every time I make something from it, I'm reminded about how good it all is.

Thank you for mentioning this recipe! I found some BEP in my pantry that had been long-forgotten, and I was wracking my brain to remember which of my books had a good recipe that was discussed... Never would have thought of VD, and then I read your post. =)

Agreed, it doesn't sound like anything exciting, but it actualy is pretty darn tasty - and I love the firm texture of the peas, as compared to a softer/squishier bean stew. I had already cooked my peas last night, in broth and some liquid smoke with some spices, so I decided to sauté the veggies & Creole seasoning together in coconut oil, then add the fire-roasted tomatoes, then the beans/liquid to all simmer together for about 20min.

This recipe only underscores my love for Creole seasoning! Had NEVER used it till it was recommended in several recipes in Vegan Crunk, and I sure am enjoying it on SO many foods now! Instant wake-up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just made the Lemon-blueberry loaf cake. I added in poppyseeds because i always used to make lemon-poppyseed muffins and it seemed appropriate. My partner already requested another loaf later in the week, so this one is definitely a winner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganVamp wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Thank you for mentioning this recipe! I found some BEP in my pantry that had been long-forgotten, and I was wracking my brain to remember which of my books had a good recipe that was discussed... Never would have thought of VD, and then I read your post. =)

Agreed, it doesn't sound like anything exciting, but it actualy is pretty darn tasty - and I love the firm texture of the peas, as compared to a softer/squishier bean stew. I had already cooked my peas last night, in broth and some liquid smoke with some spices, so I decided to sauté the veggies & Creole seasoning together in coconut oil, then add the fire-roasted tomatoes, then the beans/liquid to all simmer together for about 20min.

This recipe only underscores my love for Creole seasoning! Had NEVER used it till it was recommended in several recipes in Vegan Crunk, and I sure am enjoying it on SO many foods now! Instant wake-up.

good to know, i have some BEP cans in my pantry too... will definitely look up this recipe. ♥ this cookbook.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next