| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
I made the black eye pea stew yesterday--just having some over rice now. I thought from reading the recipe it'd be kind of meh, you know, just wanted to use up some celery in the fridge I needed to use and it'd be a cheap, easy midweek dinner. For a rice and beans dish, it is so yum! (I added the optional tomatoes--a 15 oz can diced tomatoes). I love this book. Every time I make something from it, I'm reminded about how good it all is.

page 106, right?

just curious, if you start out with 2 cups of dried BEP and 8 cups of water, how much water are you left with at the end? i assume some evaporates and some the beans absorb during cooking?

also, does 2 cups dried BEP equal about two 15-oz cans of prepared black eyed peas?
how do i do this stew the lazy way by using cans, i almost always drain the liquid the canned beans are packed in. i'm not sure how much homemade veg stock to use.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

After not using this book in a while I went a bit wild tonight. I made the cherry almond poppyseed muffins and the chocolate mint truffle pie. The muffins are gorgeous. So light and fluffy. Not sure about the pie yet. Won't be trying it until tomorrow evening when I take it out to my family's house for dessert. I took a little taste of the filling and it tastes good. I'm betting that it will be very filling so it will be a case of a little goes a long way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 am 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I made the black eye pea stew yesterday--just having some over rice now. I thought from reading the recipe it'd be kind of meh, you know, just wanted to use up some celery in the fridge I needed to use and it'd be a cheap, easy midweek dinner. For a rice and beans dish, it is so yum! (I added the optional tomatoes--a 15 oz can diced tomatoes). I love this book. Every time I make something from it, I'm reminded about how good it all is.

page 106, right?

just curious, if you start out with 2 cups of dried BEP and 8 cups of water, how much water are you left with at the end? i assume some evaporates and some the beans absorb during cooking?

also, does 2 cups dried BEP equal about two 15-oz cans of prepared black eyed peas?
how do i do this stew the lazy way by using cans, i almost always drain the liquid the canned beans are packed in. i'm not sure how much homemade veg stock to use.

Sorry I just saw this! Yes, page 106. I can't remember how much water you're left with at the end but it's kind of a thickish stew consistency. I think I served over steamed white rice.

Yes, I'd use about 2 cups dried BEP.

If I were using homemade veg stock, depending on how strong it was, I'd probably use four cups veg stock, four cups water to equal eight cups total liquid. But again, that depends on how strong/salty it is to begin with. The stock is not very strong for this recipe because she calls for only one large bouillon cube which is usually for 2 cups water so that's a weak stock. A lot of the flavor will come from the vegetables in the stew itself and the creole seasoning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

great smokey mountain cheeze. where have you been all my vegan life? i ♥ you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

page 32, diner donuts. i do not have a stand mixer. do you think i can do this recipe by hand? either by kneading it or stirring the heck out of it until my arm wants to fall off?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
page 32, diner donuts. i do not have a stand mixer. do you think i can do this recipe by hand? either by kneading it or stirring the heck out of it until my arm wants to fall off?

I'm sure it would be hand; it's just a matter of giving it the proper amount of love, like you said. Good luck! I really want to try those donuts; I've just not been motivated to use all that oil for deep-frying yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I'm sure it would be hand; it's just a matter of giving it the proper amount of love, like you said. Good luck! I really want to try those donuts; I've just not been motivated to use all that oil for deep-frying yet.

oh i didn't even notice the amount of oil, off to check that out. i do want fried donuts though, i don't want a baked cake-like donut.

i *think* when i was doing a search there was a vegan dad recipe that was yeast based dough but baked.... might look into that one as well.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I already asked this in the general kitchen forum, but thought it would make sense to ask it here too. Those of you who have made the Garlic Dill Bread, do you think it would turn out ok using pastry flour instead of all purpose flour? I seem to have bought two packages of PF by accident instead of one APF, but I'm impatient to try it rather than waiting till the next time I get to the grocery store.

Since I've never made it before, I'm not sure what the texture is supposed to be like and if the sub would make a huge difference.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:44 am 
Ninja Master

Can I just rave again about the chicken style seitan roast. Because it is soooo awesome. It's the easiest seitan ever and it always comes out perfect, even when I mess up the ingredients (like putting in 5 spice powder instead of poultry seasoning on Christmas day!)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

For the bread, I think it'd work okay. It's a quick bread with kind of a slightly crumbly texture, if I'm remembering right. Anyway, it's delicious and I think even if the texture is a little off it'll still be garlicky, dilly breadish stuff. A win in my book!

Last edited by Pinko on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:51 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thanks, Pinko! I think I'll stop hand wringing about it and just give it a go.

And thanks for the rave, baps. I've been eyeing that seitan recipe.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

If you have vital wheat gluten for making seitan, you can take some and add it to your pastry flour for making bread. The main difference between all-purpose and pastry flour is the gluten content. People who are not vegan buy vital wheat gluten to improve the texture and protein content of their bread.

Here's what a general google search said about how much to add (when using regular AP flour):
"Most baking sources recommend about one tablespoon for every 2-3 cups of flour."

I haven't made the Garlic Dill Bread, but I hope that it will be delicious. This book is filled with good recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:16 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've had this cookbook for ages, flipped through it often, and admired the photos. Don't know why it took me so long to make anything, but last week I made the Very Sloppy Joes, cutting the recipe in half. Thought it was going to make too much for two sandwiches, but the over-abundance wasn't a problem at all. Anything that didn't fit on the buns were spooned up and devoured.

I made the Skillet-Baked Panko Cutlets last night and they were fantastic! I kept nibbling on one of the steamed Italian Sausage Cutlets that the recipe uses, and ended up with 9 cutlets, not 10. I served the Panko cutlets (without the Daiya) and the sauce over spaghetti that had been tossed with a bit of garlic oil and a big salad. Man, these cutlets are so good -- can't wait for dinner tonight (a repeat performance, but Julie does say they freeze well).

The Great Smoky Mountain Cheeze has been on my "to make" list for a while, but the only silken tofu I can find is reduced-fat firm silken tofu. What do you think -- would this work in this recipe? I've found that the reduced-fat version can sometimes taste a little bean-y or chalky in recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh that Great Smokey Mountain Cheeze, I waited so long to make it and I don't know why. It's awesome! I'm not sure where you live but I've found the mori-nu brand of silken tofu in plain ol grocery stores and not just at the natural foods grocery store (Earth Fare) I shop at too.

The flavor of the cheese is really good. I'd go ahead and use the reduced-fat silken firm. Although I think I used regular silken extra firm when I made the cheeze recently.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

baps wrote:
Can I just rave again about the chicken style seitan roast. Because it is soooo awesome. It's the easiest seitan ever and it always comes out perfect, even when I mess up the ingredients (like putting in 5 spice powder instead of poultry seasoning on Christmas day!)

So glad you mentioned this - just made it and its really good (I cut the recipe in half as my steamer is kinda small and had to make homemade poultry seasoning), I've made loads of seitan roasts in the past and this is up there with the best, I usually get a very expensive Tofurky Roast for Christmas (£30), but the only online store in the UK that sells it has stopped so I may make this instead

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:38 am 
Ninja Master

Star wrote:
baps wrote:

So glad you mentioned this - just made it and its really good (I cut the recipe in half as my steamer is kinda small and had to make homemade poultry seasoning), I've made loads of seitan roasts in the past and this is up there with the best, I usually get a very expensive Tofurky Roast for Christmas (£30), but the only online store in the UK that sells it has stopped so I may make this instead

I made it for Christmas last year and will again this year. I bought the redwoods one one year and it was RANK!! This one kicks it's asparagus!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

bookwormbethie wrote:
Oh that Great Smokey Mountain Cheeze, I waited so long to make it and I don't know why. It's awesome! I'm not sure where you live but I've found the mori-nu brand of silken tofu in plain ol grocery stores and not just at the natural foods grocery store (Earth Fare) I shop at too.

The flavor of the cheese is really good. I'd go ahead and use the reduced-fat silken firm. Although I think I used regular silken extra firm when I made the cheeze recently.

I did end up using the reduced fat Mori-Nu silken tofu last night and the Great Smoky Mountain Cheez was fabulous on toast this morning. On to Not Your Mama's Pot Roast tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am gonna try making the smoky mountain cheese without the smoke, but throw in some fake bacon bits instead

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fenice wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I did end up using the reduced fat Mori-Nu silken tofu last night and the Great Smoky Mountain Cheez was fabulous on toast this morning. On to Not Your Mama's Pot Roast tonight!

awesome, the next time i make it i plan to cut back a bit on the garlic & onion powder, but it was still a homerun recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Star wrote:
I am gonna try making the smoky mountain cheese without the smoke, but throw in some fake bacon bits instead

i would stir in the fake bacon bits at the end and not "cook" them when you are heating the cheeze mixture up on the stove.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

bookwormbethie wrote:
Star wrote:

i would stir in the fake bacon bits at the end and not "cook" them when you are heating the cheeze mixture up on the stove.

Thats what I was thinking! Redwoods used to do a cheezly with fake bacon in it which was discontinued and I really miss it

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I hardly ever use this book! I'm going to pull it out today and look through it, I could really go for some smoky mountain cheeze.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Star wrote:

I tried doing this. Made bacos using soy mince, smoke, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dijon mustard & soy sauce.
I made the smokey mountain cheese as normal but left out the 2 paprikas, doubled the onion & garlic, reduced the salt and added a dash of the liquid from a jar of sauerkraut, then added the bacos once the cheese was just cooked.
Its really good (the cheese was really good before the bacos were added as well), I'm going to try again next week but reduce the amount of bacos by a third.

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Aw bummer! I love that chili and cumin is a pretty standard ingredient. Bookworkb, you should try adding the cocoa. I think its really nice.

Just made the chili again - so amazing how quickly it comes together! Added some liquid smoke, then served it over extra crispy tots & topped it with cashew queso from the PPK blog. Sinful! And easy. And pleasing to the entire omni family.

The cocoa really adds a beautiful color and lovely, deep flavor to a quick-cook recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Just thought I'd revive this thread since I just made a riff on Julie's Chili yesterday for a chili cook-off. I'm starting to believe that cocoa is a necessary addition to chili; I just love the depth of flavor it imparts. We added some pumpkin ale to ours too, which had hints of clove and other spices in it. Soooo wonderful!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next