| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Zula wrote:
futurella wrote:
This is my new favorite cookbook! In the past week, I've made Blueberry Nutmeg muffins, Banana Breakfast Bars, Hearty Chili, and the Basil and Spinach Spread. My husband loves the Blueberry Nutmeg muffins so much that he already wants me to make them again. I'm planning on making the Cinnamon Orange Rolls and the Smoky Curls as soon as the semester is over, and I have the Cheezy Mac on our meal plan for this week.

I really like this book too, it's so much fun. I have to admit though, I'm posting 'cuz I am loving your avatar!! :)

Aww, thanks! I love Richard Ayoade so much. I love to watch IT Crowd episodes while I'm cooking!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guys, the ooey-gooey brownies from this book are amazing! I made a batch in my brownie edges pan this weekend and they are scrumptious and pretty much perfect. I added the optional 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts as I love my brownies nutty. They are SO yum and the texture/crumb is what I want in a brownie. My new favorite in my 'basic classic chocolate brownie' category.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

seitanicverses wrote:
You guys, the ooey-gooey brownies from this book are amazing! I made a batch in my brownie edges pan this weekend and they are scrumptious and pretty much perfect. I added the optional 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts as I love my brownies nutty. They are SO yum and the texture/crumb is what I want in a brownie. My new favorite in my 'basic classic chocolate brownie' category.

I made these last year and are so good I ate 2 at a time.

π

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

futurella wrote:
This is my new favorite cookbook! In the past week, I've made Blueberry Nutmeg muffins...

"My husband loves the Blueberry Nutmeg muffins so much that he already wants me to make them again."

Indeed! I planned to make the Banana Walnut Muffins in IDI to wow my visiting omni mother-in-law, but realized too late that I'd halved and frozen all the ripe bananas... So I dug out Vegan Diner, and found the Blueberry Nutmeg muffins, for which I had all the ingredients readily available.

They are FABULOUS. I used frozen blueberries, and they are so super blueberry-y, but with a lovely complex flavor. I used coconut sugar in the muffins, and turbinado for the topping, and they have just the right sweetness: not too much, just enough.

To boot, my uber-picky omni pre-teen - who frowned when I revealed the banana muffins were not a possibility, and wailed, "I HATE blueberry muffins" - casually devoured the one I set down for myself, declaring them - upon my return to the room - as "sooooo good, Mom! YOU know how to make blueberry muffins." Win!

Teapot is simmering, awaiting my MIL's arrival on the train. Can't wait to serve them to her with my homemade butter that is chilling <slurp>.

I haven't had any failed recipes out of this book; I really need to use it more, but every time I glance its way, I end up making veggies n dumplings OR smoky curls OR rough rider bbq sauce OR the chili OR panko cutlets OR the simple marinara (so easy and FAB on homemade pizza!). Time to work my way thru it a bit more aggressively.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the Mocha Chip Muffins for breakfasts this week. Delish!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:09 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thanks to everyone recommending the blueberry nutmeg muffins. I made them today and they're delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:30 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The chicken style seitan is my new favourite seitan recipe. I replace the water with no-chickn broth and it's great. The steaming makes for NO brainy-ness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That's funny. I made the chicken style seitan for the first time this week and was completely underwhelmed. The texture was fine, but there was just so little flavor. I'll stick to the seitans in Isa Does It.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:19 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

anardana wrote:
The chicken style seitan is my new favourite seitan recipe. I replace the water with no-chickn broth and it's great. The steaming makes for NO brainy-ness.

This is the one I make most often, though I do decrease some of the spices because it tastes more like thanksgiving turkey as written.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made a batch of the Smoky Mountain cheese yesterday to go along with bagels from Vegan Brunch. So good. I don't like a really agar-firm cheese, so I decreased the agar from 2t to 1t and it turned out really well -- a somewhat firm spreadable consistence, a bit like a creamy cream cheese in texture.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

anardana wrote:

I made this the other day & can quickly see this becoming my go-to seitan recipe. I prefer the steaming method because it's hands-off & you know it will always come out correctly. I liked the flavor too. I can see it as a perfect topping for salads or pizzas.

My husband & I ate slices for dinner with roasted garlic mashed potatoes covered with 2-Pepper Gravy from the book with fried green tomatoes on the side. The gravy was nice, and especially seemed to go with the garlic in the potatoes, but I still prefer the brown gravy I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The mac n' cheese and chili from this book are great mixed together! Comfort food paradise!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Spent my entire afternoon reading through all 31 pages of the Vegan Diner love, so I just bought the kindle version. So many recipes bookmarked already, can't wait to delve in!

Just made the mocha muffins. The coffee flavor didn't really come through, so they're more like chocolate chip muffins. Still delicious, though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:16 am 
Saggy Butt

vowlry wrote:
The mac n' cheese and chili from this book are great mixed together! Comfort food paradise!

Mmm, now you're talking! Why does this sound so incredibly appetizing at 5am?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 am 
Nailed to the V

I can't remember if I made the chicken style seitan or the other one - I don't have my book, but the instruction said just stir, and don't knead too much and it didn't come out very well so i haven't done any more simmered seitans in this book.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

VeganVamp wrote:
vowlry wrote:

Mmm, now you're talking! Why does this sound so incredibly appetizing at 5am?!

I don't know but I'm right there with you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the rice burgers for the first time this evening. How have I waited so long to make these? Seriously yummy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made two new things tonight, the breakfast sausages and the herbed sage gravy. Both were really tasty! I made a half recipe of the sausages and wish I had gone for the full. The gravy was a bit salty and I'm wondering if I might have forgotten to halve the salt (I made a half recipe of gravy too). I don't think so, and next time I'll just add less and then salt at the end if it needs it.

I'm eating the sausage and gravy over some collard greens right now and it's pretty darn delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:50 am 
Nailed to the V

Finally got round to making something from this, the seitan from the stew (but not the rest of the stew). It was good! I didn't have enough marmite so it'll probably be even better when I make it properly next time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No matter how many times I make the quick and easy chili it never fails to please with taste and how quick and easy it is to make.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Took the first batch out of the oven, and while preparing the second batch to go in, ate one of the hot ones. Then I noticed one of those flour weevils in the bowl, walking around. I don't think it was in the flour though, more likely in the chocolate. I was confused and put the second batch in the oven anyway. I did not throw out the cookies yet. I can't believe I am actually debating this. Get rid of them? I know...not vegan anymore..

P.S. the one cookie I ate was SO good! Chewy and soft at the same time!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've made the chocolate mint truffle pie twice this summer. It is so amazing and even the tofu skeptics adore it. It tastes exactly like Andes chocolate mint candies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

daisychain wrote:
No matter how many times I make the quick and easy chili it never fails to please with taste and how quick and easy it is to make.

I made a chilli from vegan on the cheap last night and I've decided since that no chilli recipe can really compare with the Vegan Diner one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:50 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Moon wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I made a chilli from vegan on the cheap last night and I've decided since that no chilli recipe can really compare with the Vegan Diner one.

my go to chili as well! i always make it if we're having a crowd over. it doubles and even triples so easily!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:05 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I made the banana crispie waffles recently. I omitted the rice crispies, because I didn't have them, but I was pleased to find the recipe works great with whole wheat pastry flour and tastes great. Julie kills it, as usual, and I can't wait to get the casserole book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next