| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Fresh
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This is the third cookbook from the folks at Fresh Restaurant in Toronto.

My full review, recipe for their green poutine (including a cheese sauce and gravy) along with a giveaway is shared here:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... -giveaway/

In short, though, while a resto cookbook, it is surprisingly very approachable. The recipes have been great and I forgot to mention, it is simply gorgeous.

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Super Fresh
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I haven't had much luck with this book.

Omelet: This recipe is so weird. The amount of gluten it contains with the very short cooking time makes for a decidedly raw-tasting omelet that takes FOREVER to cook due to the finicky batter. I ended up having to bake them.

Brussels Sprouts fritters: Another raw-tasting recipe. There is so much flour in this recipe and the frying doesn't get it cooking enough, and the sprouts in it taste raw too.

Roasted Cauliflower Sumac Soup: I really had to doctor this one up, and I honestly wish I just ate the roasted sumac cauliflower straight out of the oven. It was bland as a soup and the sumac, the whole point, didn't come through, nor was there enough lemon to make the flavour pop.

Hollandaise: This was delicious!

Like the other Fresh books, I think it's all about sauces and stuff rather than full meals. I was disappointed that half the book is preamble and there are so many juices/smoothies. I mean I know that's kind of Fresh's thing but good Lard I do hate a juice/smoothie chapter that goes on forever and each recipe costs about $10/serving to make.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:
I was disappointed that half the book is preamble and there are so many juices/smoothies. I mean I know that's kind of Fresh's thing but good Lard I do hate a juice/smoothie chapter that goes on forever and each recipe costs about $10/serving to make.

I never got the point of having smoothie recipes in cookbooks. I mean what's so hard about making a smoothie? Put ingredients you like in blender and blend, voila!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

Got this book at the library and thought it was just too gorgeous/filled with exciting recipes that I had to order it! I'm especially eager to try the bowl recipes, the sauces sound great.

I made the Moroccan Chickpea and Stars Soup and it was delicious. I doubled the red lentils quantity and used just that in terms of legumes, and used orzo instead of star pasta. It smells wonderful while cooking, the aromas reminding me of a bistilla.