| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tofu Cookery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

A co-worker loaned me this book, and if anyone has it I was wondering if they could tell me what some of thier favorites are so that I can try them before I give the book back.

The cakes-especially the cheesecakes-look pretty good.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tofu Cookery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/cookbooks ... u-cookery/

check out isa's blog post on it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yep, i saw that...got some of those down to try, but trying to get more idea if possible.

Seriously, this woman puts tofu in EVERYTHING! breads, cookies, pancakes, french toast, chiliquillies....some sound kinda weird. i dont know where to start.

my partner HATES tofu so i like the idea of sneaking it into food hehe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Not to interrupt the tofu talk...

Did Isa ever post parts 3-5 of cookbooks that changed her world? Just wondering ...

You may now continue :) ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Dave in MPLS wrote:
Not to interrupt the tofu talk...

Did Isa ever post parts 3-5 of cookbooks that changed her world? Just wondering ...

You may now continue :) ...

No :(

I will eventually, I got side tracked.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

my library doesn't have this. blasphemy! it's really cheap on ebay though, so I might do that, but I'm not sure which edition to get. the older editions are only a few dollars, but would it be better to get the 2008 one, or does it have everything that the older ones do?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love many recipes out of this book. My favorites are probably the stuffed shells recipes (spinach in particular) and the pumpkin pie recipe (it is the ONLY one I use!). Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

This was my very first vegan/vegetarian cookbook, although I didn't cook much out of it. I don't think I was super fond of the bbq tofu though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago on a whim and have so far liked everything I've made! I'm making the tofu loaf tonight for dinner and on Saturday, we'll be having the crispy tofu cutlets, or whatever they're called. I'll let you guys know how they are. Things I have already made include:

Chive dip: So good! Like any herbal/oniony/garlicky dip, it's better after it has sat in the fridge overnight to let the flavors really seep in. It reminded me a lot of the creamy green onion dip my family used to make all the time around the holidays. Super good. It does get a little bit of a weird brownish color from the addition of the soy sauce, but I didn't mind.

Green Goddess salad dressing: So, maybe it's been a while since I've had a creamy green goddess salad dressing, but this stuff was gooooooood. Not sure if it might be a little heavy on the parsley or if that's the way it is supposed to taste, but I don't mind at all. Eaten in a salad with tomato, cucumber, and diced avocado, it's amazing. The avocado does something to the dressing (adds more fat? Hahah) and makes it even better.

Chocolate pudding: So, the chocolate pudding was pretty good except for mine was a little grainy since it uses 1.5 lbs of firm regular tofu. With the other dips and dressings I made, this wasn't a problem since soft regular tofu was called for, so maybe if I had let the food processor go for longer or used my Blendtec it'd be smoother. Regardless, though, it's still pretty good and very thick. I think recipes calling for melted chocolate might be more decadent and a little less beany, but a lot more calories, too. I noticed the beaniness mostly right after it was made, but after it sat in the fridge for a few hours, I guess all of the sugar and cocoa powder had more of a chance to mingle and I wasn't bothered by it when I went to have some.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The BBQ tofu recipe is my go-to recipe. Other than that, I haven't tried much from this book. I've had my eye on some of the bread and pastry recipes, as well as the cheesecakes.

I know lobsteriffic is doing Tofu Cookery recipes for Vegan MoFo: http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got all excited when I found this on paperback swap, so I got it, but nothing's really caught my eye.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

awesome, just requested this book from my library!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So, I made the tofu loaf last night and I was really pleasantly surprised. I thought that the short list of ingredients might not bode well, but I persevered and even made it using onion and garlic powder instead of their fresh counterparts. I was worried that this recipe wasn't going to stick together since it lacked any sort of flour or vital wheat gluten, and although she gives you the option of using flax or wheat germ, I had some wheat germ in my pantry and decided to go that route. I also froze my tofu beforehand, which wasn't called for in the recipe...

Anyway, this held together very well, was brown and crusty on the outside, and had the exact inner texture I remember from my mom's meatloaf that I used to eat as a kid, except for maybe mine was a little dry since the loaf pan I used was possibly a bit too big. I'm guessing freezing the tofu helped with the texture, but maybe also made it a little drier. The flavor profile was really good and traditional. Went well with a little ketchup, just like omni meatloaf. WHEN I make this again, I might either double the recipe or reduce the baking time a bit so that it doesn't dry out quite as much. Maybe use fresh onion and garlic since I don't think this would prevent it from holding together as well, as I initially feared.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So, the crispy breaded tofu cutlets/sticks were pretty good! I had a lot of breading left over, though, which made me feel a little sad. Also, my sticks absorbed all of the oil on the cookie sheet so that when I flipped them over to continue cooking, they were still floury and I ended up having to spray them with cooking spray to get them to brown. It got a thumbs up from my tofu-hesitant fiance, though, so I'm calling it an overall success.

Oh, and the tartar sauce recipe is goooooood. Not that tartar sauce is rocket science or anything, but it was very tasty. I did use dill relish instead of sweet, just because that's our personal preference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavegan wrote:
my library doesn't have this. blasphemy! it's really cheap on ebay though, so I might do that, but I'm not sure which edition to get. the older editions are only a few dollars, but would it be better to get the 2008 one, or does it have everything that the older ones do?

I am wondering this too. I was looking to pick up a used copy and the older ones are much cheaper than the 25th anniversary edition. Does anyone know if there's a big difference?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The BBQ tofu is AMAZING.
The tofu loaf sticks together really, really well, but I'd probably change the spices/seasonings next time.
The oven-fried tofu is really good too. I made it on the weekend and then cubed it and kept it in the fridge to put on salads.

The baked cabbage casserole thingie was sooo not my bag. Nor was the zucchini frittata. Essentially you make a 'dough' with tofu and flour and then bake. I would stick with the Vegan Brunch recipes.

I have a reprint of the original, it was $5. I'm not sure of the differences between the 25th Anniversary Edition.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well amazon.com does have a preview of the 25th edition, so you can compare the intro. also the 1st chapter, appetizers, does have a full list of the recipes in that chapter so you could compare that to the older edition. the index is also available in the preview so you could compare that to your older edition too.

http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Cookery-Anni ... 1570672202

also part of the blurb says "In this revised 25th anniversary edition, all the recipes have been updated for today's nutritional standards, using reduced quantities of more healthful fats and less salt. Many new recipes have been added to reflect more current tastes and trends, and to complement the old favorites."

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I love this book! I have the older one and all the colour pictures are wonderful. There is also a smaller version with many of the same recipes called Tofu Quick & Easy. I really like that one, too. I will probably buy the revised edition at some point. I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much as I have the other two.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bookwormbethie wrote:
also part of the blurb says "In this revised 25th anniversary edition, all the recipes have been updated for today's nutritional standards, using reduced quantities of more healthful fats and less salt. Many new recipes have been added to reflect more current tastes and trends, and to complement the old favorites."

I'm kind of craving unhealthful fats right now, so maybe I should just go with the old version!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I'm kind of craving unhealthful fats right now, so maybe I should just go with the old version!

That surprises me. Most of the things in the old version have a wee bit of oil, but nothing excessive and a lot of things are baked. I haven't really looked at the desserts chapter though.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com