| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thrive Energy Cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have the Thrive Foods book, and it's okay, but a lot of the recipes rely too much on things like sacha inchi and 18 oz of sprouted buckwheat... i.e. high maintenance stuff. Some of them are fine, but they're not very practical or budget friendly. Part of the problem seems to be the recipes are pretty much all from chefs/restaurants, so they're not necessarily formulated with time or budget constraints in mind. As an athlete, though, I am always looking for recipes to maximize my nutritional bang:buck:time spent ratio.

I'm hoping the Thrive Energy Cookbook is aiming a bit more at everyday cooking. Anyone have it/looked through it? I've looked at the Amazon preview, but I can't get much of an idea.

Post subject: Re: Thrive Energy Cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I flipped threw it at Costco last week. It is a beautiful cookbook with lots of great looking photos. However the recipes looked similar to the ones you find in the Thrive Foods book. I am generally a healthy eater and have a lot of different foods stored in my pantry but a lot of the recipes in the book seemed to call for a lot of obscure ingredients that I would have to hunt down at some fancy health food store. The recipes just were not realistic for my busy family life with a husband and 3 kids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:17 am 
Saggy Butt

I found that most of the recipes use regular ingredients except the incessant use of wildwood aioli. There are some far-out ingredients but you can easily omit them. The cookbook is gorgeous but my problem with the cookbook is that the recipes are based from a restaurant, so there are lots of little recipes to make one recipe. However, I have eaten at the restaurant and they are great meals, so I look forward to trying the recipes out. The pad thai is killer!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I looked at it too. I like Brendan Brazier a lot but I think this book is a bit predictable for my needs, though the ingredients in this one aren't super inaccessible at all. You can definitely blow your budget with some of his recommendations, but not all of it is unreasonable. I guess it's just the common-sense appeal that doesn't do it for me because I've seen very similar recipes in many books that aren't really my favourites.

Keep in mind though, I'm not an athlete. I exercise and eat healthy, but I'm not concerned with optimum nutrition for performance, so I'm not really the targeted reader. I would totally recommend it to athlete friends and especially those who are new to veganism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, dude! That's helpful to know.

Since I started racing bikes, I definitely notice that even with stuff that's totally healthy, some of it helps me perform better, and some of it doesn't. If someone else has done the legwork of figuring out good combos specifically for athletic performance, then that's probably something I'm interested in, particularly if it's relatively basic stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 am 
Saggy Butt

A review, recipe and giveaway about Thrive Energy Cookbook:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/03 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I won your giveaway saveur, thanks again!

I'm not exactly the intended audience for this book either what with the optimal performance stuff and I intend to just stick with some of the more straight-forward recipes for now.

It is an absolutely gorgeous book though with some good info. I'm looking forward to the Smoothies, Juices, & Drinks chapter. I basically want to try them all.

Anyway, I made the Cranberry Almond Muesli Cereal for breakfast and really enjoyed it. It was quite tasty and satisfying to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yay! Nice to see a fellow PPK-er win the giveaway. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband made the Ginger Nitrous juice over the weekend. He left out the ginger powder tea mix stuff. This was delicious and very satisfying! I've just been getting into beets this month thanks to my CSA & have been very pleasantly surprised. I'm happy to say they were pretty fantastic juiced.