| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the Ortega burgers last night and was so excited, but I think I did something wrong. When I took a bite, I got big strings of gluten and the middles were a little gummy. What might I have done wrong? I don't think they are undercooked, just improperly handled.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

celyn wrote:
I made the Ortega burgers last night and was so excited, but I think I did something wrong. When I took a bite, I got big strings of gluten and the middles were a little gummy. What might I have done wrong? I don't think they are undercooked, just improperly handled.

That has happened to me too. Maybe you kneaded the dough for too long?

Tomorrow I'm going to make the savory noodle kugel burger, but as a casserole instead, as Joni suggests in the recipe note. I haven't made that recipe before, but I think it will be amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just had a Chipotle Sweet Potato burger. Wow - these were amazing. Perfect for the very autumnal Labor Day we're having. I was worried they'd be way too spicy (the recipe does seem to call for an entire can of chipotles - both the peppers and the sauce). But the sweetness of the brown sugar and the sweet potatoes balanced the heat nicely. I wasn't sure what to do for condiments because mayo/mustard/ketchup didn't seem like they'd mesh with the flavors very well. I opted for vegan steak sauce and a little chipotle tabasco, with a sprinkle of granulated maple sugar on the underside of the buns. I thought these additions really brought the flavors home.

I have a feeling I'll be making a few batches of these through the fall and winter. I also think they seemed a bit lighter and healthier than some of the other recipes I've tried from the book. Don't get me wrong - I love the Bacon Cheeseburgers and the Noochy Burgers, but they are pretty gut-busting and make me feel like I need to subsist only on rice cakes for a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

andi_vert wrote:
What did I do wrong?! The bacon cheeseburgers were too sweet for my taste : (

These are my favorite burgers but the recipe as written is a bit too sweet for me. I reduce the maple syrup to 2 tablespoons, use 2 tablespoons of tahini instead of peanut butter, and add a little extra barbecue sauce.

I'm going to try making the really meaty burgers this weekend with Upton's ground seitan.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, that's a really good idea to replace the pb with tahini.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the bacon cheeseburgers with the above changes, except agave instead of maple. My omni family really liked them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My book has been MIA for the last 3 months! It was shuffled around when we moved this summer and hasn't shown up yet... Ahhh!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Bagel Buns (with sesame seeds on top) and Bac'n and "Egg" breakfast burgers for lunches this week. Eating lunch now and I am very, very happy.

I made two modifications: 1) in the Bagel Buns, I subbed half of the all purpose flour with whole wheat pastry flour (think this would add a little more nutrition and fiber). They came out great (in my humble opinion). 2) For the burgers, I left out the all purpose flour and added about 1/4 cup garbanzo/fava flour (Bob Mill's). The burgers held together just fine.

And I'm not trying to rub it in kdub :)...

Quote:
My book has been MIA for the last 3 months! It was shuffled around when we moved this summer and hasn't shown up yet... Ahhh!!

I noticed Joni's site has a bunch of the recipes posted though not all. Hope you find your book!

http://www.joninewman.com/Recipes.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Finally found my book! It turned up at my mom's as she was doing some late fall cleaning... wahoo!!

I made the Basic Black Bean BBQ Burgers last week, subbing barley for the TVP. They were great topped with avocado, tomato, a little mayo and extra BBQ.

Tonight I made the Chicken Salad Sammies. I always double the veggies, raisins and walnuts and there is still enough mayo to go around. I love it over spinach as a salad instead of a sammie.

Later this week I'm planning to make the Jalapeno Cornbread Burgers and the Mushroom Chicken Burger. They both sound awesome, so I'm excited to try them. AND, in case you can't tell, I'm so psyched to have my book back!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:32 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I made the seitanic stuffers again this week, but this time I stuffed them with the homemade bacon bits from Vegan Subs. Really good.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm making the seitanic stuffers tonight, the cheeseburger version. I haven't even gotten to the burger part yet but the cheese is blowing my mind. I can't stop eating it with crackers. Best vegan cheese I've ever had, homemade or otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 am 
Ninja Master

I got this book for christmas and I don't know where to start, there's so many that look awesome. Although I did make the mistake of working out the calories for the bacon cheeseburgers! Bad move. hahahaha.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just made the no-tuna melt. AMAZING. Love everything I've tried from the book though, so that was no surprise. I especially like the log cabin burger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Made the Aloha Teriyaki burger Friday night and it was the best ever. Chewy, meaty, still tender though and with a hint of sweetness from pineapple. It was so good I'm making it for dinner again tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I bought this as an attempt to get myself back into the kitchen. Made the bacon cheeseburgers, thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I now need to concentrate on the ones full of greens and seeds and pulses until my arteries unclog.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love this book, but hadn't used it for awhile. Made the Split Pea and Ham burgers, and they're really good. I wasn't a huge fan of the ham seitan on it's own, but it works really well in the burgers. The 50/50 flatbread was a total fail for me though; I'm assuming I did something wrong, but I don't know what. Everything else I've made has been so good though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kdub wrote:

This happened. To me to I just found it last week!

I made holiday burgers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:29 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I still have barely made anything from this book! That's not the book's fault, mostly just me and my perpetual indecision (and always being missing one ingredient)! I am pretty obsesssed with the tofu egg salad though and made it yet again tonight for pieces tomorrow. So freaking good.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Bacon & egg breakfast burger= amazing. We've made them half a dozen times and they're always better than I remember. We alwaays use the coconut bacon from AVK. So good!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Made the Chinese take-out burgers last night.. a little time intensive, but worth it. We chopped frozen stir-fry veggies to add to the burgers and a few green onions. The glaze was amazing and something I can see using in other dishes. Only problem was that the coating was super thick (1 c chickpea flour, 1/2 milk), so I was nearly impossible to coat the patty. I had to slather it on with a fork?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

this is a general question - I've got a Ninja which has a dough hook. do you think that would work for doing anything "kneady" (esp. with Seitan etc) or it would be better to work it by hand?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 am 
Hail Seitan!

I finally got my copy ! The pizza burgers and baba ganoush burgers sound amazing(has anyone made them?), but I'll go with the wisdom of this thread and try the bacon cheeseburgers with a little less oil first.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've made the baba ghanoush burgers! I remember thinking there was no way they were going to stick together in the frying pan but they totally did.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

daisysunshine wrote:
this is a general question - I've got a Ninja which has a dough hook. do you think that would work for doing anything "kneady" (esp. with Seitan etc) or it would be better to work it by hand?

I use the dough hook on my mixer for all my seitan making. I can't vouch for the Ninja in particular, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

I figure the best way to figure it out is to try it out! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next