| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:11 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

joni wrote:
There are at least 20 of the burger recipes that are wheat free...

yeah i was just coming to say that joni told me that 20-something are gluten free, but i am super slow so she totally beat me :D

i CAN'T WAIT to get my very own.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If the TVP is rehydrated first, I would sub burger crumbles, sauteed gimme lean, ground seitan, or crumbled tempeh.

If it is dry TVP, I would try oatmeal or some other easily-hydrating grain (bulgur? instant grits?).. Maybe cooked and dehydrated black beans (I've dehydrated my own at a low temperature in my convection microwave before) or chopped up squares of dried tofu (this can be found at an Asian supermarket)? Haven't actually *tried* these in any of the recipes, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:34 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LaurenL wrote:
Those of you who don't eat TVP - do you think there's anything that can be subsituted for the TVP in these recipes?

Sometimes I use bulgur as a substitute, and that has worked out fine for most recipes...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the agave wheat buns and they are delicious!! This is the first bread (of any kind) I've made that hasn't turned out rock hard. It actually rose. And they LOOK and taste like hamburger buns. The best ones I've had - store bought or otherwise. You'll have to pardon my excitement but it's kind of rare that I make edible things. It's only thanks to Joni and Isa that almost everything I try according to their exact recipes (it can get dangerous if I stray...) come out delicious.

Thank you Isa and Joni!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:52 am 
WRETCHED

I bought the book and have plans to cook many of the burgers.

I made a version of the basic black bean BBQ burger and it was easy. I didn't have soy flour and I had cooked mung beans in the fridge so I used mung beans instead of black beans and chickpea flour instead of soy flour. They came out really good!

The one thing I should've noticed is each recipe seems to have 8 servings an even one recipe made 16 burgers! Way too many servings for us so I might half recipes from now on.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So far I've made:
Sweet Potato Chipotle Burgers-- These were SO good. We grilled them, and they held up okay, but I will freeze them first next time.
Jamaican Jerk Burger-- First time I've used seitan for a burger. It was really good, but I had a hard time getting a good consistency. Still, something I will make again!
Garlicky Ranch Potato Burger-- SO GOOD! Really, you have to make these. They were so simple, less than 10 ingredients and really quick.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm thinking of starting with the Noochy Burgers and Bacon Cheeseburgers, both substituting bulgur for TVP. Has anyone tried these?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:
I bought the book and have plans to cook many of the burgers.

I made a version of the basic black bean BBQ burger and it was easy. I didn't have soy flour and I had cooked mung beans in the fridge so I used mung beans instead of black beans and chickpea flour instead of soy flour. They came out really good!

The one thing I should've noticed is each recipe seems to have 8 servings an even one recipe made 16 burgers! Way too many servings for us so I might half recipes from now on.

They almost all freeze brilliantly. I think I've only just finished eating my stash from testing however many years ago that was!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:17 pm 

LaurenL wrote:
I'm thinking of starting with the Noochy Burgers and Bacon Cheeseburgers, both substituting bulgur for TVP. Has anyone tried these?

2 of my favourites, though I've only tried them with the TVP.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I tried the bac'n cheeseburgers (the only recipe I've tried so far) and used a quarter amount of the tvp and substituted black beans for the rest. Kept everything else "by the book". Overall I thought they came out very noochy and a little salty for my taste (with the bbq sauce and bac'n bits... I didn't add additional salt). They were okay. I wouldn't make them again but they were definitely passable and I don't fault the recipe - they just were not my taste.

Please everyone post after you've tried a recipe to let us know which ones are your favorites and if you have any tips (I know there are citations in the back with quotes of peoples' (testers?) favorites but would like additional feedback). I'm getting overwhelmed with all the options in the book! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I did like the basic black bean burger quite a bit but yeah next time I make them, I'd use less BBQ sauce. Seemed to be a bit overpowering.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:42 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Mine just arrived!! I'm getting an anti-TVP vibe, but don't really know much about it. Is it something I should avoid in the recipes? I looked it up and read a little about it, but not from a real-life point of view.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:43 pm 
WRETCHED

Some people have problems with soy.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just made the PB & J Burgers. They don't taste jammy enough to me. But that's easily solved by topping them with jam. Other than that, I like them. I tried them with a schmear as Joni suggests in the book, and even though it didn't seem like a flavour combination that would work, it actually did and it improved the taste a lot.

I can't wait to try more!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 pm 

I tested this up the kazoo but I made the jalapeno cheddar burgers tonight as requested by Matthew with the the potato salad. Hits all the way.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I made the crab cakes yesterday. The taste was really good, they were very easy (I did sub kidney beans for chick peas, because I realized too late I didn't have chickpeas...and a couple T of dried nori/sesame rice topping for the rehydrated hijiki, 'cause I'm not a huge seaweed fan)...the texture came out sort of chickpea-cutlet-ish, it was good but as always with gluten-y things like that I wonder whether other people's have better texture than mine because it always seems a little raw/stringy. They were good, though. I think I maybe slightly prefer the vegan brunch crab cakes, though, but these were quicker.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:53 pm 

I just ordered this book and really wish I could have afforded 1-day shipping. Thankfully Amazon's preview feature has so many recipes available!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:32 pm 

linanil wrote:
Some people have problems with soy.

Ahhh, got it. Thanks! I didn't know if it was too junkfood-ish or something. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't have a problem with it personally, I'm just usually too lazy for grocery shopping so I sub for anything and everything I don't have in the house.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is my first post, but I have been following these topics for a while - I especially love the food and cooking boards. The topic of this cookbook finally enticed me to register and share my thoughts! I was super excited to see this book come out and I bought it right away! I've always been a fan of a good burger, but since being vegan I - obviously mistakenly - thought I would be limited in what I could make. But 101 different recipes?! I feel like I want to go thank this author just for making this cookbook so I can have it!

I hope to try all of the recipes, but as of now I have made:

1. Avocado bacon burgers: really, really good!
2. Bacon bits (from scratch): I can't believe how similar these were to "real" fake bacon bits in taste - though they weren't as crunchy. But I would definitely rather make these from TVP than have to
buy the kind in the store, so I am really glad this recipe was included.
3. BBQ sauce (from scratch): This sauce came out really well - so delicious!
4. Rustica buns: These I was disappointed by, as they did not rise at all and came out of the oven l
like little flat hard discs. I make bread regularly, so was a little surprised that the yeast was not
mixed with warm water right away, but rather, added to dry ingredients and then cold water was
added. (Or did I just read this recipe wrong?)

I love making everything I can from scratch, so I really appreciate the author including all the recipes for sauces, breads, and every other little thing in there too.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:53 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I make the bacoz all the time. I don't know what the recipe in the book calls for, but after mixing it all up and rehydrating the tvp I pan fry them dry until they get crunchy. It can take a while, but they are really good.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:43 pm 
WRETCHED

The zucchini mushroom burgers are really good. They kind of remind me of gourmet hamburgers. They have a good taste and texture. My husband really liked them as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I always put my (instant) yeast straight in the dry ingredients and add cold liquid, unless the recipe explicitly says otherwise.

I had to try really hard not to eat all of the egg salad I made for packed lunches.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm 

For my first burgers I chose the lentil burgers from the mid-east chapter. Flavor was good, but they were a bit dry. (The recipe says to add between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup of chickpea flour, but doesn't say how to tell if there's enough flour. I think I wound up adding too much). Fortunately, I made some mint chutney to go with these and it imparted the necessary moisture.

There are so many burgers I'm excited to try. My plan is to make one burger a week throughout the summer.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 pm 

I Run In Pink Shoes wrote:
This is my first post, but I have been following these topics for a while - I especially love the food and cooking boards. The topic of this cookbook finally enticed me to register and share my thoughts! I was super excited to see this book come out and I bought it right away! I've always been a fan of a good burger, but since being vegan I - obviously mistakenly - thought I would be limited in what I could make. But 101 different recipes?! I feel like I want to go thank this author just for making this cookbook so I can have it!

I hope to try all of the recipes, but as of now I have made:

1. Avocado bacon burgers: really, really good!
2. Bacon bits (from scratch): I can't believe how similar these were to "real" fake bacon bits in taste - though they weren't as crunchy. But I would definitely rather make these from TVP than have to
buy the kind in the store, so I am really glad this recipe was included.
3. BBQ sauce (from scratch): This sauce came out really well - so delicious!
4. Rustica buns: These I was disappointed by, as they did not rise at all and came out of the oven l
like little flat hard discs. I make bread regularly, so was a little surprised that the yeast was not
mixed with warm water right away, but rather, added to dry ingredients and then cold water was
added. (Or did I just read this recipe wrong?)

I love making everything I can from scratch, so I really appreciate the author including all the recipes for sauces, breads, and every other little thing in there too.

I had decided that the avocado bacon burgers would be my first try from this book, so I am glad to know that they're really really good! :D My nutritionist said that I should be eating 1/2 an avocado a day (yay!)! So I am always looking for good ways to eat them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next